Tyre wear on my VRS

We are talking about a FWD VRS. If it was a TVR or RWD I could see the logic, but the VRS has so much more rear end grip than at the front that I cannot see it ever being able to snap the back out unless being driven recklessly on greasy surfaces. The only time a car ever snapped the back out on me without my intent was when driving an old cortina hard on a wet road. I put the power down too early exiting a corner and was facing the other way before I knew it.

I've never heard of a FWD car suddenly and unexpectedly lose complete rear traction! :rofl:  That's a rather silly premise if we're talking about normal (even spirited) driving on public roads...

Edited by TudorM

Well,

it happened to me, a couple of times :) both with FWD.

The last one was while driving a Megane Scenic (no flames, please), on the highway.

A dumb driver near me, decided to "cut" the corner (for somebofy mirrors are obly a gadget) and I had to break hard to avoid collision with her white car.

Well, I learned that the tamrac was dirty (a light veil of sand from previous, fresh maintenance) and the car spinned. I wasn't too fast, but I could do almost nothing... but see the car of a colleague of mine crashing on me.

Ah, well, of course the white car disappeared completely unconscious of the accident...

Hmmmm..  A car manufacturer has no vested interest in how often you change your tyres whereas, a tyre fitter or tyre manufacturer.......Nuff said ?

Lets face it, if old part worn tyres gave more grip F1 teams would be queing up to buy them, wouldn't they ?

Generally in life, if it sounds like, looks like & smells like, its nearly always bull****.

Just my tupennies worth though.

Regards

T

I've never heard of a FWD car suddenly and unexpectedly lose complete rear traction! :rofl:  That's a rather silly premise if we're talking about normal (even spirited) driving on public roads...

I spun my FWD car unexpectedly going round a (damp) roundabout at what I consider was not an excessive speed. The car was a Honda Accord Type S, and had tyres with loads of tread front and rear.

The problem I deduced was that the Yokohamas on the rear were a lot less grippy than the Bridgestones on the front.

I swapped the Yokos onto the front and suffered more understeer, until I got them replaced.

Certainly, when I had the same tyres back and front there was no problem at all.

T,

AFAIK, and at least here, Yokohama are standard on Honda cars (not exactly kids cars IMHO).

And I, too, had grip issues with them (and replaced with Bridgestones).

Edited by Genoa1893

Yokos on Hondas straight from the factory, sounds like a cost thing to me, the kids don't like Type R's in Europe well, they love them here.

Hmmm...  I tried Bridgestones and wasn't really happy with them in the wet, just a bit errrrrr...  wishy washy, didn't feel the confidence, the Conti's on the other hand are very good in the dry, awesome in the wet and wear really well.  The newer SC5's I haven't tried yet but, some report they wear pretty quickly so, we'll have to see. 

What's really worring is, I've heard the Mk3 are coming outta the factory with Michelin's, not happy about that.  When I first got my Mk2 it had Michelin PS2 on it, when required I looked at replacing them, my tyre man just shook his head "6-1/2mm tread depth straight from the moulds" he said "not for you, try a set of Conti's, 8-1/2mm they'll last better"  That's why cheapo places like costco sell Michelin's because they know they'll get plenty of business as they don't last, can't last they're less tyre tread depth, probably why they are so cheap for car manufacturers to buy.

Regards

T

Not quite the same tyre I know but I'll offer this as it may help when considering tyres.  I've r un my old mondeo on the continental premium contact 2s it had from new.  I've rotated them and changed all 4 together.  I don't drive it hard, its not a car for sporty driving, so I've managed an average of 34k from each set of 4.  I've now swapped to michelin efficient grip.  they were the same price to within about 2 or 3 quid and are supposed to be several dB queiter, a lot grippier in the wet, and  more efficient on fuel.  I can't say I've noticed the first 2 (its definetly no worse, but couldn't swear they are better), but I do think I'm getting between 5 and 10% more from a tank of fuel.  how they will last I don't know, but they've done about 9k so far and aren't particularly worn, its tough to notice the fornts worn any more than the rears yet.

Based on this, and because I want a full size spare wheel not a space saver (I hunted on ebay and got  good a used 18" seat leon rim of the right offset etc) I intend to purchase 2 michelins.  One will get fitted to the spare, one will get stored carefully.  I won't bother rotating tyres this time, and when the fronts wear out I'll swap the rears to the fronts and fit both the new michelins to the rear (putting one of the worn tyres on the spare).

I've figured out the cause!

Now the wear is even across the width of the tyre but not the circumference. I was rather puzzled by this until when we arrived at work the wife was parking it and with the car stationary was turning the wheel from lock to lock.

I'm going to go ahead and say mystery solved!

Lewjo (Joseph)

Is this really the reason? How many times does your wife need to park the car daily? And she never turns the wheel with the car moving when doing so?

What's really worring is, I've heard the Mk3 are coming outta the factory with Michelin's, not happy about that.  When I first got my Mk2 it had Michelin PS2 on it, when required I looked at replacing them, my tyre man just shook his head "6-1/2mm tread depth straight from the moulds" he said "not for you, try a set of Conti's, 8-1/2mm they'll last better"  That's why cheapo places like costco sell Michelin's because they know they'll get plenty of business as they don't last, can't last they're less tyre tread depth, probably why they are so cheap for car manufacturers to buy.

Regards

T

I notice SUK are increasing offer maintenance and tyre packages.  It would be crazy for them to fit tyres with significantly worse wear than others.  Perhaps they will be reviewed?

Now the wear is even across the width of the tyre but not the circumference. I was rather puzzled by this until when we arrived at work the wife was parking it and with the car stationary was turning the wheel from lock to lock.

Lewjo (Joseph)

I think you might need to continue your investigation into the cause. It is very unlikely that this would cause the level of wear that you describe.

Lewjo (Joseph)

Surely that would have minimal impact unless the lock to lock motion is repeated time and time again and again and again and again and again....?

Well it's booked in for tomorrow anyway as they need to sort out my sticking headlamp washers. I'll let the Skoda techs do their own investigations.

Lewjo (Joseph)

Guest Cossiecol

Agreed with the other recent posts, unless your wife if getting out the car and attacking your tyres with an angle grinder when you're not looking I very much doubt that this will be the cause of the issue.

I still suspect the root cause will be an overly aggressive driving style.

NB aggressive driving style does not necessarily mean that you fly down the motorway at 100 mph+, I am simply suggesting that you might be over eager in the corners and braking and thus will be having a major impact on the tyre wear.

Guest Cossiecol

I'm looking to get my two front ones replaced at Costco - which are better Michelin or Bridgestones?

thanks

All depends on what you prefer, some like 1 make and others prefer a different brand.

Personally speaking I liked BF-Goodridge G-Force profiler for summer and Braum Polaris 3 for the winter.

Haven't decided what will be going on the vRS, however I suspect that I will go for something like this:

Summer - Goodyear Eagle/Continental Sport Contact if my usual Goodridge is still not available in the 18"s

Winter - Michelin Pilot Aplin PA4

I notice SUK are increasing offer maintenance and tyre packages.  It would be crazy for them to fit tyres with significantly worse wear than others.  Perhaps they will be reviewed?

I haven't dug into the details of the tyre package as yet but, I'm sure there's a Skoda wear rate on all items and should you fall below that additional (as deemed by SUK) will be chargable.

I know outta choice I would touch Michelin's with a barge pole.

Regards

T

I haven't dug into the details of the tyre package as yet but, I'm sure there's a Skoda wear rate on all items and should you fall below that additional (as deemed by SUK) will be chargable.

I know outta choice I would touch Michelin's with a barge pole.

Regards

T

Ah, that makes sense.  I suppose that otherwise, the tyre screechers would get a new set every time they manage to trash them.

Can't remember if it was Citroen or some other French POS that was offering a "Just add fuel" deal I recently heard advertised on the radio, my initial though was, WOW if that had no limits you really could drive your car like you'd just stole it, all the time.  Sadly, middle age and having been caught out before led me to be very sceptical about such things, cars lose money, end of, occasionally there is a deal that a bit better and worth taking, kinda makes you feel like Well, at least the stealers are gonna lube me up, before shafting me.

Regards

T

Joseph,

which pressure do you use for your front tyres?

Hope not to light a flaming tempest, but I've learned to keep my tyres inflated at maximum manufacturer recommended pressure and - albeit always driving spiritedly on the highway (a good mix of straights and large portions with many corners) - I had been congratulated by the tyre man for the eveness of rubber consumption.

If you drive brisk with under inflated tyres (for me under inflated almost equals to less than max pressure inflated), you might burn the sidewalls.

Otherways your camber is perhaps off.

HTH

Well the dealer wasn't able to offer any explanation and have gently suggested that the cause is driving style.

I'm going to accept that but find it odd that the wear has been so excessive when compared to our previous cars which we're driven pretty much the same. When the wife had a Fabia VRS she actually drove it much harder than the octavia but it did have dunlops on it.

I'll change the fronts with a different tyre and see how they wear, I still think the oem tyres are in some way defective but with no way to prove it I'll just have to accept that it's mine and the wife's own fault.

Lewjo (Joseph)

Edit: tyre pressures are set to the pressures noted in the handbook

Guest Cossiecol

Well the dealer wasn't able to offer any explanation and have gently suggested that the cause is driving style. I'm going to accept that but find it odd that the wear has been so excessive when compared to our previous cars which we're driven pretty much the same. When the wife had a Fabia VRS she actually drove it much harder than the octavia but it did have dunlops on it. I'll change the fronts with a different tyre and see how they wear, I still think the oem tyres are in some way defective but with no way to prove it I'll just have to accept that it's mine and the wife's own fault. Lewjo (Joseph) Edit: tyre pressures are set to the pressures noted in the handbook

What you need to keep in mind is that it is a different car, it has a different weight and driving habits compared to old/different models.

While I accept that the tyre wear is excessive the fact that the wear is so even rules out just about anything else.

One last thing to consider is that perhaps the current tyre brand does not match your (and the wife's) driving style. 

Lewjo (Joseph)

I'm afraid I don't quite understand this.

Are you saying that the tyre wear is even across the tread, but no even all the way round the circumference?

If so, I don't really see how this suggests that the excessive wear is mainly due to scrubbing the tyres away by turning the steering wheel from lock-to-lock while stationary.  Even if this has been done (not a good thing, I agree!) the amount worn away on each individual occasion will be tiny.  It would only lead to excessive wear if it was a regular habit.

And if it was a regular habit, there is no way that the tyre would always happen to have come to a halt on the same particular point of its circumference.every time.  It would  come to a halt at a different random point every time, so the wear caused in this way would average out around the circumference.

The only things I can think of which would cause unven wear around the circumference are

- one or two massive instances of braking with the front wheels locked and smoking.  (if that had happened, you'd remember those occasions!)

- a warped front bake disc or discs.  Have you noticed the brakes grabbing or the car shuddering / vibrating as you come to a halt?

- just possibly, buckled wheels - but you would have noticed the vibration

- just possibly, faulty tyres, but even defective tyres are unlikely to wear out in this unnatural way

Notwithstanding the unven wear around the circumference, if this just happens only on the front and only with this car, which has been driven just like your other cars, I would suspect incorrect wheel alignment, as many other people here have suggested.  Wrong toe-in (or out) can rapidly have a devastating effect on tyre wear.