Do you think this will polish out?

James I

I spent the day cleaning the cars, Yeti is going soon so all the bits I put on it have been removed also, so that is nice and clean now.

Fabia, was in a state, wife goes fishing in it and does nothing but drive it! So I set to with the inside and then the pre wash on the outside, then a wash and noticed a huge scratch! 

Question is will it polish out?  :doh:

12270120313_e3764fc8e3_b.jpg

Fancy you could reduce it greatly by hand with something like Gtechniq P1, then something with filler over the top should make it nigh on invisible. If you are after a quick fix.

Other than that, a machine polish will stand you with the best chance to remove.

Can you get a fingernail in there?

The top bit certainly looks polishable as it is only the lacquer that is scuffed, the scratch below it looks like it may be a bit too deep though?

As Sparkly asked can you feel a groove with your fingernail if you can then it is down to primer so will require some paint to colour it, if not then it should be polishable. 

OK, I have had a feel with my finger nail and the scratch feels as deep as a groove in a record (hope you guys are old enough to remember records?)

I will have to go and see the local body shop or maybe call one of those mobile repair types out to sort it.   

Blinkin' annoying that people have no respect for other peoples property, wife works in an aquatics shop that resides in a garden centre so I am guessing it happened when it was parked there.

Don’t use a mobile outfit unless you are selling the car shortly, most of them will flood the panel with coloured thinners to blend the repair in, this can cause issues in a year or two, you are better off either getting it done at a good repairers or a touch up pen and polishing it with a machine (ideally) afterwards.

Thanks Gizmo, I have used a company in Widnes called R&L in the past, I had a BMW 5 series, it got hit on the roof by a wheel nut from a truck, it made a proper mess, took it to R&L and they had it for two days and the repair still looks good today after 3 1/2 years.

I will have a trip down there in the week.

Personally just from looking at the picture i would say alot of that would polish out, before you get a mobile sprayer out maybe worth ringing a local detailer to have a look in person

It may not all come out but will be visibly a lot better and alot cheaper than havign the panel sprayed and areas blended

If you are planning to visit a bodyshop, then I could have a go at wet sanding / polishing it when I am up in Telford.  Thing is, I don't imagine this car will be at Oulton will it.  I could easily bring a bit of wet sanding gear and my rotary, :D

I have got similar ish to a better state,  This wheelarch was a question of "do what you can" - The big scab was a no go, but the rest came up better than I thought it would.  Always good to be told "do what you can and don't worry" as it meant I could push harder than I usually might (especially given paint depth gauge doesn't work on plastics :D)

Before (looks a bit worse than yours ;))

8453550_orig.jpg

After - I could have gone even further but decided to call it quits there.

1383625_orig.jpg

• Like 1

That is a real transformation Jason, I could arrange for the Fabia to be at Oulton Park if you think it is worth a try?  I will get the wife to bring it down on the day.

Thanks for the offer.

I am in stockport, have a paint gauge (part of the job etc) you can use to check the depth before any work is carried out.

Drop me a message and can sort out a day to get it in a unit under the halogens and LEDs to have a proper look at it if you want.

OK James..I'm 12 miles from Leeds

Blimey...reading all these threse threads, I'm amazed at just how many of you detailers live in West Yorkshire...do you have `something` in the water up there?

Blimey...reading all these threse threads, I'm amazed at just how many of you detailers live in West Yorkshire...do you have `something` in the water up there?

Sorry about the 5th word!

That is a real transformation Jason, I could arrange for the Fabia to be at Oulton Park if you think it is worth a try?  I will get the wife to bring it down on the day.

Thanks for the offer.

I am planning on bringing a "mini bag" with me to Telford, as Pete would like his car done, and someone else was asking about "a quick going over" so to speak :D  

So if there was time at lunchtime or whatever, I could do it at Oulton.  I will however be more concerned with getting track time as I only got half a day last time  :D

Also, my initial feeling based just on the picture is the top bit of scuffing will come out, but that fairly thick white line at the bottom of the mark looks pretty darn deep.  :(

• Like 1

OK, however I will be taking a trip to see ChrisRS next Friday, he is going to sort it so you can travel light ;)  

Track time is imperative as you say, Mongrel let you down last time so touch wood you will be ok this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies Chris for not showing or contacting, PM sent.

If the scratch is through the lacquer, I assume the repair is to respray clear coat/lacquer and then polish?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/305599-diy-scuff-repair/

See my thread here-I polished mine out by hand- cost £0

It looks like just a scuff in the clearcoat.

Clearcoat is 1.5mm thick, so if the scratch is 0.5mm thick it will polish out easily and still leave loads of clear remaining.

Might be an idea to fill in with a clearcoat pen as well, save having to go so deep.

I have finally got around to taking the scratch to a few paint shops, all agree it will not polish out, a bit dubious I also called a valeting establishment, he used a machine to measure the depth of the scratch and confirmed it needs paint!

Quotes ranged from £160 cash and I can drop the car off today and collect tomorrow to £552 with VAT and they would need the car for a week!!!!

Booked in for Friday 28th collect Saturday for £160 cash. Can't be bad 

Thanks for all your comments and offers of assistance.