How do you carry your camera?

Gregie

Looking for some advice on the best methods of carrying a Canon 600D fitted with a 70-200mm f4 L lens and battery grip.

Ive been thinking of a shoulder strap that cross the body, Ive seen some from Tamrac, JJC and Matin, all brands that are new to me.  I have noticed that all the straps have 1 flaw, that when you wish to pack the camera up for the day the strap will remain attached either partially or fully?

Ideally I would like something that can support a fairly heave camera, be comfortable to wear for a few hours whilst walking around the highlands and parks etc and if possible one that can be clipped on and off with ease and minimal faffing around. I'm 6ft 5" so what ever the method is it will have to be adjustable to suit my build :strong:

I look forward to your suggestions and recommendations :thumbup:

Yeah I like a DIY shoulder strap? Using one of an old bag that has the clips on the ends to hook into the tripod mount? I'll have a look into this.

Have you consider a back pack with fast camera access? That way you can take with you some spare lenses (macro, wide- angle...), have room for spare batteries, a bottle of water...

I used a shoulder strap for a few days ( Vanguard...) and then I realise that I need more space, so I got a Vanguard up-rise 45. Really nice bag, with lots of space for anything you'll need to carry with you while going for a "photo-hunt" http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/products/detail-1-1-4-33.html

Have a look at it, it might be what you need...

Edited by king@rthur
  • Like 1

Hi. I do indeed have a rucksack with a fast access but I never seem to put the camera back after taking a shot. Main reason for wanting a strap is to keep my hands free but have the camera in quick reach.

Although this bag looks better than my one so it maybe an upgraded rucksack as well lol

I have been using a BlackRapid RS-4 strap for the last 6 months or so, and am quite happy with it.  The strap sits across your chest with the camera at your hip.  The strap is attached with a threaded carabiner to a fitting that screws into the tripod mount, so the strap can be removed reasonably easily for storage, though the fitting on the tripod mount stays on the camera.

This video shows how it works:

• Like 1

I have been using a BlackRapid RS-4 strap for the last 6 months or so, and am quite happy with it.  The strap sits across your chest with the camera at your hip.  The strap is attached with a threaded carabiner to a fitting that screws into the tripod mount, so the strap can be removed reasonably easily for storage, though the fitting on the tripod mount stays on the camera.

Hi, used a BlackRapid for many years and countless hours with a 70-200mm and even larger lenses and it works perfect!! The only thing I would recommend is holding a hand down your hip while walking to support the camera and stop it from bouncing ...

... and you can find clones on eBay that works just as well for occasional use, cost around £10 for reasonable quality.

• Like 1

The looks perfect :) is it fairly long? My hip is a good bit away from my shoulders haha.

My strap is adjusted to a loop length of around 140cm.  I believe the maximum is 152 cm

...The only thing I would recommend is holding a hand down your hip while walking to support the camera and stop it from bouncing ...

This has been my experience as well - you need to keep one hand on the camera to steady it while walking..

• Like 1

Black Rapid RS4 or RS Sport all day long.. attach the tripod mount to the 70-200 and use the thread mount on that to attach the strap. 
Supporting via the camera body's thread mount isn't really recommended as the weight of the lens on the lens mount could weaken it.

• Like 1

I have got a few bags and I still prefer my first ever Lowepro micro backpack. stuffed to the gunwales it can house my 7D with grip and 70-200 f2.8 (sometimes with a 1.4tc fitted). Plus a 17-55 f2.8, a 6-16,, and a 50mm f1.4. ....plus..... a Speedlight 430, a Camranger, Hahnle remote (sp), Charger and mains lead oh and a couple of extra filters, cards and plastic bags etc All this goes into a small rucksack. it's a bit of a tight fit and only seems to go in ne way   :D

I have asked my brother to get me a 'What the Duck' strap for my camera as a birthday pressie :)

I should add that I use the bag as if I am walking, it gives me weather protection for my gear, lets me carry more stuff and is so much more comfortable and easy to keep my balance with, especially if I am in the middle of nowhere and it's rough going. If I come into an interesting area. I take the camera out and use it's normal strap. One you've had the bag for a while and broken the bag in, the zip opens with such speed, I hardly mind the extra second or two it takes to get my camera out

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

I tend to switch between a tamrac rucksack and a normal camera bag depending on how far I'm walking. I normally put my camera strap over my head and put my left arm through it so I can easily bring the camera up to take an image but haven't got the strap wrapped round the back of my neck with the camra hanging directly down in front of me as over time this becomes uncomforable. If I use my normal bag I'll have its strap over my left shoulder and the camera over my right with the straps crossing over front and back which is quite comfy as the bag on my right hip normally counterbalances the camera on the left one. it's an easy task then to bring the bag round in front of me while still over my shoulder to put the camera away and then adjust the strap so the bag goes round the back.

• Like 1

I will still carry my rucksack with my gear in. I just find hanging a camera round my neck very uncomfortable and the canon strap is horrible sticky rubber stuff that irritates my sensitive skin lol. I've gin ahead and purchased a blackrapid sport cost £40 but the reviews on it are superb.

1 question still remains to I attach the strap to a tripod ring or the battery grip?? Should I decide to invest in a tripod ring or if anyone has one going spare that will fit my lens ;D

I'm think tripod ring I should buy anyway as with the strap attached I could still mount it in my pod for waterfalls and panos etc without having to undo the strap. Hmmmm some googling is needed lol

where ever you attach the strap Just make sure it's secure.... I put a strap on my manfrotto tripod, the top fixing came adrift and the whole lot pivoted on the bottom mount so the lens and camera did an abrupt nose dive into the ground wrecking both. ouch

• 1 month later...

For all those who use Black Rapid style straps.   They are good but a word of warning follows: 
Occasionally they can work themselves loose from the tripod monting hole in the camera or lens.  My D4 and 24-70mm f/2.8 plummeted to the ground from hip height snapping the 24-70mm in half and damaging the lens mount in the D4.  I hadn't noticed that the threaded D-ring had loosened.  £1200 of repairs later and all's well and good, but I now have a shoelace tether between the D-ring of the Black Rapid strap and the normal Nikon body mount.  It doesn't really get in the way and gives peace of mind, as the D-ring can't now loosen.

I want a Blue 'What the Duck' strap as my brother waited too long to get one on line and now it seems you can't get them anymore :( :(

Anyone know where I can get one please :)

Edited by Lady Elanore