Wd40 v Gt85.

O.C.D.

For taking off and putting on new pushbike handlebar grips GT85,  and for some other jobs.

As a water dispersant or stopping household squeaks WD40

For Release and Maintenance sprays the real thing, and for lubricants again the real McCoy, not any Jack of all Trades that leaves

stuff unprotected.

george

People say wd40 isn't a lubricant.! 

It's not, its a water dispersant, but fortunately as a by product of that it is oily and lubricates.

For garden gates, shed hinges, general squeaky stuff it fits a purpose. but as a penetrating oil, given the choice I would use other brands.

Here is a good test for WD 40.

Take a old push bike that has been sitting out side for months probably with a bit of a sticky chain, maybe a bit rusty.

Use WD 40 and loosen up that chain, and put the bike back were it was.

A few weeks later probably it will be red with rust and seized.   

WD 40 has its uses, and these are few.

Any Motor Factors will have a good choice of Penetrating Sprays, Silicone Sprays, Lubricating Sprays,

Chain and Maintenance sprays etc.

As well as Brake Cleaners and the likes.

• Like 1

ACF 50. It's waterproof, penetrates, disperses water, lubricates, actively stops corrosion, doesn't dry and hangs around for 12 months. At £15 a can it's not cheap, but money is probably saved in the long run as applications are repeated far less frequently.

Maybe a bit OTT for household use though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's not, its a water dispersant, but fortunately as a by product of that it is oily and lubricates.

I does stand for "Water Displacement, 40th formula"  For lubricants I use one of 3in1 spreys. One of them contains PTFE which sticks. As for penetration oil I use Plusgas.