a/c on by default

guzzit3

Hi I have a 2012 fabia greenline estate it seems when I start off the air con defaults to setting itself to being on. Is this a standard feature? Or is it something more clever? Maybe sensing the humidity inside the car? Not really a problem just curious.

Thanks Pete

There are people who believe in leaving the air con on all the time regardless...something to do,I think, with keeping the seals from drying out and leaking,but don't really know.

Obviously switching off when not really needed saves some fuel and saves wear on the compressor.

Any thoughts?

No idea about a Greenline which the OP is about.

But a vRS with fan on at 1 and set on screen does not automatically put on the A/C unless that button is pressed.

'MAX screen'

you can have it just on 'screen'. Which i use almost all the time,

and i only use A/C in Summer or when damp.

It does not go onto A/C automatically to clear a screen no matter what a manual says,  unless you have choosen a button to allow that to happen.

(thats on a vRS, no idea about other models.)

Proof of the pudding is simply found, you just go and try it on your car.

EDIT,

its below 2*oC ambient here now, so no A/C would be coming on anyway.

If you have manual air conditioning rather than the optional climate control the air conditioning will switch itself on if you switch the air outlet from the cabin to the screen with the fan running. This happened on both my 2012 Fabia and my current Roomster.

Not sure if the a/c comes on if you leave it on when you switch the ignition off and restart the car.

• Like 1

Doesn't the climate have a "Winsdcreen clear" button though (I've seen it on other cars)?  I've only got manual a/c, so screen + fan >1 = a/c comes on.

EDIT:  I can see a "Screen Max" button on the pics from George - maybe that does it?

Edited by philhoward

Pretty sure, as we're talking manual (Greenline with climate!!???!?!?), it is on from word go.

99% of the time though, I have the fan speed on 1 and it set to windscreen.  I'm pretty sure though, that it goes to a/c automatically wherever the position dial is.

In fact the other day, I tried to turn it off and put recirculation on.  It switched itself back on when I turned position dial to windscreen and footwell.

Personally I would suggest always leaving it on, since running the system lubricates the flexible pipe seals and the compressor itself. The fuel saving without it, over any meaningly period, is very minimal and certain far outstripped by the cost of a new compressor!

Also, as the evaporator temperature is regulated (probably to about 4*C) so the closer the outside air temperature is to that point, the less draw on the compressor.

• 7 years later...
On 06/02/2014 at 14:00, leevrs180 said:

If you have the fan blower on setting 1 or above and on windscreen then it automatically puts a/c on

Why does it do this?  I find it annoying. 

18 minutes ago, Dan65 said:

Why does it do this?  I find it annoying. 

Because it dries the air in high humidity by condensing the moisture out of it before blowing it at the windscreen, it does clear the screen quicker when the engine's still cold.

• Like 1

Interesting, new one on me. You live and learn. Makes sense when you spell it out. I actually thought  was a fault at first! Thanks for the response.