Cruise control intermittent

So i picked the VRS up on Saturday.  So happy with it but noticed on the motorway the cruise control was not working.  Kept trying but nothing.  Later on cruising at 30MPH near home i tried again and it work.  Disengaged and tried again and nothing.  Is this a known issue, is it as simple as just replacing the stalk for the cruise control?  Also noticed the gear change indicator also works when it feels like.  Will indicate gear changes till about thisd gear then dissapear of the MFD until i have stopped and pulled away in first again, then indicates till second or fourth and dissapears again.

Cruise control is probably dirty connections in the switch.  Cleaning instructions here:

Can't help on the gear change except to say that it doesn't actually "know" what gear you have selected.  It calculates it from road speed and engine revs.

Thanks for that eccleshill.  With my frumpy fingers i can assure you i will wreck that switch hahahaha.  Will get the dealers to sort it as i still have warranty on the car.  Might ask them for the old stalk if they replace it and practice dismantling it.

Mine has also been playing me up since buying the car (Octavia II 1.9 PD) a year ago, though very infrequently. Today though, cruise control would not enable for the whole of my 50 mile commute, so I decided I must look into it. Funny that you posted about this today as well. Thanks Eccles for pointing us to that pdf document. I didn't quite go the whole hog by removing the PCB, I just opened up the stalk and blasted the switch mechanisms with switch cleaner whilst operating the switches. Hopefully that will help - I was worrying about spending money on a control module or something.
CC is one of the most useful extras on a car IMO and I was cursing when it failed !

Mine has also been playing me up since buying the car (Octavia II 1.9 PD) a year ago, though very infrequently. Today though, cruise control would not enable for the whole of my 50 mile commute, so I decided I must look into it. Funny that you posted about this today as well. Thanks Eccles for pointing us to that pdf document. I didn't quite go the whole hog by removing the PCB, I just opened up the stalk and blasted the switch mechanisms with switch cleaner whilst operating the switches. Hopefully that will help - I was worrying about spending money on a control module or something.

CC is one of the most useful extras on a car IMO and I was cursing when it failed !

Let me know how you get on.  I may also just give it a squirt with contact cleaner if it helps.  Plenty of the stuff at work.

Contact cleaner worked for mine, took about 15min to pop the stalk apart and clean it with contact cleaner and a cotton bud.

Could probably do with repeating that now, it's stopping working occasionally again.

Contact cleaner worked for mine, took about 15min to pop the stalk apart and clean it with contact cleaner and a cotton bud.

Could probably do with repeating that now, it's stopping working occasionally again.

Yep, a dead easy job. Cotton buds only occurred to me after clipping the stalk back together - you can easily get to those linear sliding contacts without removing the PCB. 

Had the same with the CC on my Octavia working intermittently, took it back into garage where I bought it from (still got warranty)

and they fitted a brand new stalk for me under warranty.

I would imagine the only proper long term cure for this issue is to replace the stalk.

Lewwy

• 7 months later...

Simply blasting the assembly with switch cleaner didn't make a big difference. My next treatment was to get at the PCB and use a cotton bud doused with switch cleaner on the sliding contacts (both on the board on the copper 'tongues' on the sled). Don't go too mad on the board contacts, I think they are graphite and vigorous scrubbing will remove excess material. I also bent the copper tongues (on the sled) a bit to increase the contact force. This can all be done with the stalk attached.
This was some time ago. CC performs much better now but still not 100% reliable (maybe 98 %, which is good enough for me not to worry about replacing the stalk).

Would it be worth having a look at the clutch pedal switch? Seems odd that both cruise control and the gear change indicator are both intermittent, the clutch pedal switch is the only thing I imagine both systems have in common to need to work.

Would it be worth having a look at the clutch pedal switch? Seems odd that both cruise control and the gear change indicator are both intermittent, the clutch pedal switch is the only thing I imagine both systems have in common to need to work.

It was the OP that had GCI issues. But, you could be right in any case.

Edited by Will777888

• 1 month later...

I have recently acquired a 07 l&k estate and blooming love it. Except the cruise control doesn't work - I followed the amazing guide and took up a lot of dirt from the connections. (By the way I am the least practical person ever, so If I could do it anyone can).

Except the cruise still doesn't work.

I'm going to take it back to the dealer I bought it from to sort but it's hassle - I was just wondering whether I may have fixed it but that it needs a fault code reset, I could get this done locally near work rather than make the trip to the dealer a way a way.

Any thoughts or a lost hope?

Thanks guys!

Ps its 2.0tdi dsg, all bulbs work and no errors on the dash.