Tyre recall + New Map ?

andybond

Mine came with Dunlops and had the dreaded left pull.

It's now on a full set of Pirelli PZero Neros after having them replaced under warranty, no more pulling and the ride seems a bit better on these tyres as well.

Mine's not due a service until the end of May so can't comment on the a new map, I know it had a diagnostics check done when it was in having the tyres done and as far as I'm aware nothing was done.

Haven't suffered any loss of MPG with the Pirellis though.

Snap, the car rides & feels much better now.

Same with mine, switched to pzeros from dunlops and a lot better, however on the 1st service last week they advised that the inner edges on the fronts are wearing faster than the rest 3.5mm left compared to 5mm across the remainder.

I can't help thinking that there is some aggressive camber/toe setup in conjunction with the different tyres to mask the pulling issue.

Edited by R4zb3rry
  • Like 1

so what is the problem they are being swapped for, I still have dunlops with cracks in the groves in the tread is this the issue or something else

The Dunlops are directional tyres which aren't suited to the suspension and steering set up on the Monte and I think the vRS.

Skoda have been replacing them with non directional tyres like Pirellis and Contis.

But they have also replaced Continentals.

& many cars run perfectly correctly on Dunlop Sport Maxx Directional tyres.

& on a replacement pair of Dunlops.

Some might not like Dunlops, do not rate them, but we have threads on here were people do like their Dunlops.

So that will just maybe be me and Oz Fabia then,  all other Dunlop Tyres are bad.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that the Dunlops are bad, they caused my car to pull left and were replaced under warranty, that's all.

If they didn't cause the pulling then I would've had no cause for concern and probably would be singing their praises.

My last car had Contis fitted which I didn't rate at all, slid terrible in the wet and had a tendency to understeer but it was a diesel which is heavier up front which probably didn't help.

They told me the car didn't suit directional tyres when they replaced our Dunlop's, however it runs just as well, as stated earlier, on the directional Uniroyal winters as it does the new Pirelli's :wonder:

Think myself it's more to do with fitting wheels that a fashion statements rather than what actually suits the chassis. IMHO our TSI 86 generally works better on the 195/55 R15 tyres than it does on the 205/40 R17.

TP

Unladen a Monte Petrol is about 200 kg lighter than a vRS,    (150-175 kg extra at the front)

they are both on 205/40 R 17's

& the petrol is 1.2 tsi about 100 kg lighter than a 1.6 Diesel.

The 100 kg more weight in the mechanical components of the Diesel is basically all at the front of the car.

• Like 1

Had our Monte re-tracked 3 times and the factory Dunlop Sport Maxx replaced by the Pirelli tyres but it still has a slight tendency to go left, although it's miles better than from new; felt like it was trying to turn left not just pull left.

Also run the Monte for about 5 months on 15" 195/55 Uniroyal MS66+ winters and its slight bias to the left remains similar to having the Pirelli fitted. Therefore if we ever wear the Pirelli's out, which is unlikely at 4000 miles a year summer use, then I cannot see an issue switching to another brand, albeit staying clear of Dunlops.

Oh talking to a Skoda Tech from the Doncaster dealers the other day about other matters and we got onto the Monte issue, he tells me that Michelin are what their dealership have been fitting of late to effected cars.

TP

When I was still trying to convince Skoda that the pulling to the left was not normal & not “They all do that lov” I contacted a local tyre centre to have the wheel alignment checked independently.

When I told them what car I had, they told me that I was wasting my time & money as the main reason for the pull to the left was torque steer, due to the size of the wheels & tyres being to big for the design of the cars platform. Also that the make of tyre could make this worse, as the Fabia is based on the VW 9N3 platform which should run a max wheel size of 6.5x16 with 205/45/16 tyres.

I do not know how true this is or if anyone is using this size of wheel/tyre has had the pulling to the left issue.

When researching the pulling to the left issue, I did find out that in a number of countries, the Monte’s are sold with 16” wheels as standard, using the Comet wheel. :nerd: 

It is not Torque Steer when just driving along and not accelerating.

Run Out and tyres matched so as the correct run out is the Tyre Issue,

But the last people to ask about run out are probably a Tyre & Exhaust Centre.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=165

http://wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showthread=165

EDIT, PS

& a 205/40 R 17 is on paper 0.8% total Diameter bigger than 205/45 R16.

But measured side by side some 16" will be physically bigger.

Ref the mpg

Could they have just set the tyre pressure up lower than you usually have them?

Plus maybe the work they did has changed how the mpg display reads.....so maybe it is now more or less accurate.

See how many miles you get out of a tank or do some proper mpg calculations to see.

Not heard of continentals being replaced, in fact my Dunlops were replaced with continental sc5 and the difference is like night and day

Apparently the issue is with the rear axle which is designed for a left hand drive setup and the directional Dunlops exacerbate the pull. Polo, ibiza and a1 all have the same issue.

Can't believe they're just replacing tyres now after I had to fight with Skoda UK over it.

I had Dunlops Maxx from new on my July 2010(Fabia vRS mk2),perfectly fine and got 27000 out of the set. Then changed to Conti 2 and no problem of pulling on these either.

Contis were better for all round driving conditions.

I like the Dunlops, but haven't tried anything else to compare on the Fabia.

I do think tyres aren't the true cause of the pulling to the left, but perhaps, as stated above, individual tyre models/brands make it worse. I get a bit of the alternate left and right tugging on uneven surfaces under heavy throttle (electronics countering torque steer and/or uneven grip), but otherwise the steering behaves as it should.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...