dogbone removal

colzie64

Hi Guys

Trying to remove dogbone on fabia mk 1 8v but  bolt  just seems to spin endlessly so my question is this does the dogbone mainbolt screw into the subframe or is it a nut and bolt job with the untrapped nut just spinning in space?

Thx Colzie64

Thx TMB maybe just a lot of crud on retaining bolt then will have another go at the weekend.

Edited by colzie64

If the bolt was tight to start with, you may well find a nut, put there by the ape that last removed the bolt :(

Possibly will find out at weekend

Right guys had another go at this and to my dismay it is spinning round instead of coming out as per this picture.

207uyk4.jpg

Not sure if its held by untrapped bolt or if the part of the subframe has broken away.

How difficult is it to drop the subframe to get access to this sod of a bolt?

Thx Colzie64

Got myself a Powerflex dogbone bush (didn't realise they were so big!). Car is only an MPI but the engine definitely slogs back and forth when accelerating and decelerating and this will cure it.  Just hope the bolt comes out OK when I go to fit it!

SS857632.jpg

• Like 1

Haha i thought the same, its huge! Though i suppose it needs to be. Did mine at weekend. No issues with bolts really, one was a little sticky but just used an extension bar.

For info I needed a 16mm socket (but you might also need a 17mm one, depending on your clearances) for my vrs.

Had more issues getting the bush in. Glad I recently acquired a large vice, so prepare a plan for that in case you have the same.

• Like 1

Cheers for the info :)  

I've got a big vice and 16mm and 17mm sockets. Good to hear you had no probs with your bolts. I'll take it carefully when undoing the main one that goes into the subframe!

Haha i thought the same, its huge! Though i suppose it needs to be. Did mine at weekend. No issues with bolts really, one was a little sticky but just used an extension bar.

For info I needed a 16mm socket (but you might also need a 17mm one, depending on your clearances) for my vrs.

Had more issues getting the bush in. Glad I recently acquired a large vice, so prepare a plan for that in case you have the same.

Just wondering - did you notice any extra engine vibration after fitting it?

Yep, and a bit extra noise. I've got the softest one as have the diesel.

Heard they bed in a bit, and it seemed better on way home from work. But going to give it a couple of weeks and if still a bit annoying will pull out again and drill a few holes in it. I do like the immediacy of the power though!

I tried getting it in by hand but couldn't manage it. The grease they give you is only copper slip, so have that on stand by too.

As for getting the old one out, I had something like tin snips, hacksawed the old one just a little, pryed the edge out and cut the plastic surround in about 3 places, then it just pushed out.

Had to slacken bolt 22 in that pic above though (hence 17mm socket) to get it back into the subframe as well.

Does anyone know how tight that bolt should be / how much movement should be allowed at that joint. Mine was v.tight with no movement when I took it off, and didn't want it undoing itself, so did it back up pretty tight.

Yep, and a bit extra noise. I've got the softest one as have the diesel.

Heard they bed in a bit, and it seemed better on way home from work. But going to give it a couple of weeks and if still a bit annoying will pull out again and drill a few holes in it. I do like the immediacy of the power though!

I tried getting it in by hand but couldn't manage it. The grease they give you is only copper slip, so have that on stand by too.

As for getting the old one out, I had something like tin snips, hacksawed the old one just a little, pryed the edge out and cut the plastic surround in about 3 places, then it just pushed out.

Had to slacken bolt 22 in that pic above though (hence 17mm socket) to get it back into the subframe as well.

Does anyone know how tight that bolt should be / how much movement should be allowed at that joint. Mine was v.tight with no movement when I took it off, and didn't want it undoing itself, so did it back up pretty tight.

OK, thanks. Might be OK for noise/vibration on mine as it's only the puny 8 valve petrol engine. Going to fit it tomorrow if weather is OK, so I'll soon find out. Haha.

I used this to get my old out and new in... Piece of cake :giggle:

BAB869DB-8A0F-48CE-9573-1A73055E1031_zps

D55F821E-76BD-4510-BF65-E3DF0B144566_zps

Alright for some people having a nice press to use  :thumbup:

I just ordered this Bush, hope it's not major vibration as other reports say it's near oem

Anymore feedback from you guys who are running this?

Thanks

J

I have the superpro one.  No major vibration.  I put mine in with a load of grease and a good dose of ignorance and a large vice.

The old bush was removed with a similar amount of argicultural style.

• Like 1

I fitted the Powerflex dogbone bush today and I'm absolutely over the moon with the difference it's made. There is no extra noise/vibration and the engine no longer has a load of backlash. It makes for smoother gearchanges and generally a much better driving experience. Even the infamous lumpy MPI tickover is a lot smoother because the engine isn't rocking about anymore. Couldn't be happier!  :thumbup:

Edited by TMB

I fitted the Powerflex dogbone bush today and I'm absolutely over the moon with the difference it's made. There is no extra noise/vibration and the engine no longer has a load of backlash. It makes for smoother gearchanges and generally a much better driving experience. Even the infamous lumpy MPI tickover is a lot smoother because the engine isn't rocking about anymore. Couldn't be happier! :thumbup:

Wicked bro my powerflex Bush just came in the post :) , Its bloody massive ain't it? Lol... I'm getting it done same time as replacing console bushes and adding Fuchs 75w80 fresh gear oil.. So bit of N underside overhaul ;)

Edited by Jay29

Wicked bro my powerflex Bush just came in the post :) , Its bloody massive ain't it? Lol... I'm getting it done same time as replacing console bushes and adding Fuchs 75w80 fresh gear oil.. So bit of N underside overhaul ;)

Yes, they are huge. lol  

Hope all goes well with your bush fitting spree :)

Bazz heard the superpro is bone shaking and teeth chattering lol, review??

Colzie?? How you get on mate anyupdate??

ummm..... never heard that?  Didn't actually notice any major vibrations or anything either.  Car is fine (other than a multitude of other issues).

• 2 weeks later...

Bazz heard the superpro is bone shaking and teeth chattering lol, review??

Colzie?? How you get on mate anyupdate??

Hi Jay

No l have been busy at work and when l have had time the heavens have opened. Looking to drop subframe and sort this problem this week if possible and to swap out pas angle sensor too.

Powerflex Bush fitted vibrations on start up and idle, disappears after its warmed up, however can feel judder on biting point and take off!

Although heard that I need to run it in for few hundred miles

These dogbone mounts are pathetic to say the least. Two problems...

a. It's easy to thread the nut where the dogbone mount bolts to the chassis. Mine was threaded and we had to drop the entire frame and then angle grind it off which was a pain as the nut sits in a hole.

b. The dogbone mount is made of alloy, screw you Skoda/VAG. In that diagram in post #2 where it says number 22. The bolt there broke through the alloy whilst I was driving.

I needed a new dogbone mount, a new downpipe as the engine movement stretched the flexi-hose and a new brake vacuum pipe as that broke and I lost the brakes whilst driving.

Edited by nick_uk