vw 504 507 oil

ployb

I know not everyone likes using unbranded oil, but i change mine every 5-6k and am not so fussy (dealer change follwed by my own 6 months later).

Anyway i found this and thought i would share :happy:  looks like a good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5w30-Longlife-Fully-Synthetic-VW-Audi-Skoda-Car-Van-Motor-Oil-5-Litre-5w-30-/331130118109?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item4d18e49fdd

Well it's a free country and you can put whatever oil you like in your car.

However from my point of view the words "wouldn't touch" and "barge pole" spring to mind

Im most interested to hear, and maybe convinced by any valid reasons why not?

Im most interested to hear, and maybe convinced by any valid reasons why not?

The cost is £15.99 for 5 litres including free postage. Postage must be £5 or so, so the oil actually costs £10 for 5 litres.

Standard retail prices are usually double wholesale price, so this oil probably wholesale's at £5 for 5 litres. So it can't be very good. Personally, I am quite attached to the cams on both my PD engines. I will not take risks with cheap oil that may cause premature cam wear, so I stick to Quantum oil.    

Euro car parts are doing some stonking deals on oil at the moment, their triple qx oil is 14.99 if that's your thing.

Also got Castrol edge at 28 quid.

No mark oil from eBay? I'll give it a miss as well :-)

nice one, you got the link for the triple qx (most likely made by Tetrosyl as the A1 brand is) for £14.99? 507 spec too?

I stick to castrol edge in mine.

That said, before we had brand new cars I always used comma oils with no problems.

I should know better than being a brand sucker, but the days of 20/50 for nails 15/40 for run of the mill stuff and 10/40 synthetic for quick stuff (ford xr Vauxhall gte and the like :-) ) are long gone.

Even our 1.7 puma gets 30 quid a gallon shell synthetic, pistons and shells being dearer than good oil!

But you pays yer money and takes yer choice I guess.

The oil is ACEA rated C3 (the strictest standard currently) so strictly speaking is to the same standard as so called "premium brands". Having worked in the factors business and attended a few training days with Mobil/Comma (before their de-merger) I guarantee at least 50% of the price of oil is to pay for marketing, sponsorship and shiny labels. If you don't mind paying for this then by all means buy castrol etc but the above oil will serve you equally as well as proven by its rating and approval by vw for meeting its standard.

Edited by 4743hudsonj

Plenty of tales of fake oil on Ebay

http://realbusiness.co.uk/article/25472-aston-martin-recall-shows-all-firms-must-be-wary-of-counterfeiting

According to the Trading Standards Institute, police in Dubai arrested a gang planning to flood the UK market with 45,000 oil and fuel filters last year. These were counterfeited to look like genuine General Motors, Honda, Mazda and Toyota parts.