vRS TDI manual hatchback MPG

vRS TDI manual hatchback MPG  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What measured MPG do you get (rounded to nearest whole number)

I know there are threads already out there where people have posted their MPG, but as I am currently waiting to take delivery of my new vRS I thought I would try and estimate my costs (roughly) and now that people have had their vRS's a while some more acturate measurements might be known. And what better way to see results that through a poll  :happy:

I have limited this poll to vRS manual TDI hatchback owers as that's what I am getting - sorry to exclude you combi/automatic/non vRS people.

It would also be nice to just get values based on pump to pump measurements rather that what the infotainment system claims.

Edited by djkarlos

My one around town about 40 - 43 mpg

On a good run up to 50 mpg  

It's only 6 weeks old it well Improve as the engine wears in..

I had an Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol that did 28-30 mph

I have a tdi vrs manual although an estate with ~3000miles on the clock.

30 mile round trip, 5 days a week (15 mile in morning, 15 at night) mainly stop start motorway with a bit of nasty unclassified road and a bit of fast a road. I get 40 to 42 mpg on shell "super diesel".

However that's with winter tyres on and I usually drive around with the heated seats and, if applicable the headed windscreen on. I also have a spacesaver.

Pump to pump as don't trust infotainment. Not sure what different estate versus hatchback makes.

Edited by gullyg

30 mile round trip, 5 days a week (15 mile in morning, 15 at night) mainly stop start motorway with a bit of nasty unclassified road and a bit of fast a road. I get 40 to 42 mpg on shell "super diesel".

However that's with winter tyres on and I usually drive around with the heated seats and, if applicable the headed windscreen on. I also have a spacesaver.

Pump to pump as don't trust infotainment. Not sure what different estate versus hatchback makes.

shell "super diesel" is it worth paying any more for it... does it do any better on power...!! As I mostly fill up with shell 

shell "super diesel" is it worth paying any more for it... does it do any better on power...!! As I mostly fill up with shell

I feel the car is more responsive with shell vpower diesel, no difference to mpg as far as i can tell.

You should have started the numbers much lower!

Good cars but the stated mpg figures are about as accurate as their delivery times. I know they get better with age and I know official figures are always optimistic but these are way off Skoda's claims.

43 long term average, a mix of 70 mph, slower motorways and b roads. A 13 mile commute on motorway and b roads returns 43 to an absolute max of 50.

Don't buy one for efficiency because they are certainly not the efficient engines they claim.

On the other hand the vrs seems to do better mpg than the last two hire cars I had after a lorry hit my vrs on the motorway.

1.7d Zafera 30 odd mpg

1.6 tdi Passat blue motion 39.8 mpg

Edited by gullyg

Just clocked up 1300 miles and only running on Shell V Power.

I travel mostly on mostly motorways and dual carrigeways to work and back and i have averaged 46.4mpg (using manual calculations)

On board computer is quoting 46.1 since new...so this is appears to be quite accurate.

Car appears to be getting more economical as the engine is now run in.

• Like 1

You should have started the numbers much lower!

I think you're right!! I thought the engine would have been significantly better than my 1.8 (140bhp) Astra!! I average 36.4 mpg with that, so only going to get about 8mpg better...  :think:

Judging by the results so far, averaging the answers (assuming <44 == 43) gives approx 45 mpg but that might be slightly higher than the actual value as, like you said, I should've started lower.

My one around town about 40 - 43 mpg

On a good run up to 50 mpg

It's only 6 weeks old it well Improve as the engine wears in..

I had an Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol that did 28-30 mph

That's quick for an Vauxhall. Did it break down?

thats quite bad guys, one thing I have found with VAG throttles is that they are VERY sensitive and it can effect economy greatly, you need to press very lightly on the pedal to maintain your speed, any further and you dont go faster but use more fuel.

I have now covered 1500 miles since new and the trip computer says mpg since start is 49.6mpg. I do a daily commute to work of 13 miles each way of fast A roads and a couple of Motorway trips per week of 40 miles.

I am very happy with mpg so far and look forward to it slowly creeping into the 50's

• Like 1

Oh sorry should have read the title of the topic more. I have a tdi vrs estate. Not sure if this will help or hinder the mpg compared to a hatch.

I imagine there would be very little difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Very early days (car has only done 160 miles) but a little town work, a little dual carriageway but mostly A roads. Being stuck behind slow vehicles on A roads (farmers) with a 10 car que, or having fun overtaking slower vehicles not in queues and making progress.

Trip computer showing a little over 50mpg, which I am very pleased with, considering the engine is still tight. I know driving my previous car similarly would be at best 44mpg, probably worse as I didn't do so much passing :blush:

Mine us an estate, with almost 10,000 miles on now. I have never seen a mileage of less than 47 between fills, with nearer 50 the norm. Long term sitting at 48.1. My driving us predominantly on A class rural roads, lots of bends and hills. When I get a long motorway run then high 50s is the result.

• Like 1

same run mon -fri in my old mk2 dsg diesel I was getting 48mpg its 15 miles to work nobody else on the road ( 4am :sweat: ) now I have the mk3 manual I am getting 56 or that's what the trip computer is saying ,

but I don't put as much fuel in so it must be doing more mpg don't know if winter tyres make any difference I still have mine on, will be changing them at the end of this month,

Good thread , would be interesting to compare TDI -TSI on cars that have bedded in ,say post 3000miles.

In comparison to many views on here with similar commutes and weekly mileage, I'm getting 36.5 mpg in Normal mode.

So about a 10-15 mpg difference. Approx 130 miles per tank.

Guest Cossiecol

Still early stages yet but since new I'm 50.7mpg on a 186 drive into work was averaged 57 mpg so overall I'm happy :)