Columbus sat nav problems

Simon D

I have a 59 Superb, (built Aug 09), and the sat nav is no longer picking up any satellite signals.  My dealer has quoted £142.86 to replace the roof antenna, yet Amazon sell what appears to be a suitable antenna to mount under the dashboard at only £7.99, (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANTENNA-Volkswagen-professional-Mercedes-Blaupunkt/dp/B00HMRXRY0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393609847&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=skoda+satellite+navigation+antenna).

Questions;

1. Has anyone used an after-market antenna successfully and, if so, what make / model and where from?
  2. Would the antenna work OK if mounted under the dashboard, (as in the Octavias?), as opposed to on the roof?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks

Simon

I fitted a columbus to my octy vrs special editon . The gps receiver was fitted under the dash as far back as possible before the columbus was slotted in .never had any problems. A friend has a vw caddy with rns510 fitted the same way and no problems. Hope this helps.

Edited by flamazine

Worth a try at £7.99, there have been many retrofitted Columbus units fitted to Octavia's with an under dash antenna and I have heard no complaints. Might also be worth getting someone local with VCDS to find out if there are any fault codes. If the antenna is faulty then it would throw up a code and you will be able to tell more or less exactly what needs doing and whether it is £142.86 worth.

Ian

Hi Flamazine,

By "as far back as possible", do you mean towards the front or rear of the car?

Simon

as near the windscreen as possible. There was a metal frame it was stuck on. Edited by flamazine

Thank you all for your replies.  As it seems that an under-dash antenna should work OK, Amazon here I come.  After all, even if it doesn't work, it will only have cost under a tenner, so it's well worth a try before paying the dealer £140+.

I'll provide an update when it's done and (hopefully) a few pictures to help anyone else.

Simon