My dealer just called me.

Skoda asked them to read out some values from the DSG and send them for analyse.

Maybe we are on the way...

Fingers (toes, arms, legs and everything else) crossed that they'll find a cure soon.

I've been having the opposite problem. My cruise control now comes on when it feels like it, then shows an error in the display and will not work again. A trip to the dealers for me too.

Mine does the same, it has its own life!

On steady cruise it sometimes speed up and has to be disconnected. Sometimes it comes on by it self if the sw is not in off.

Fingers (toes, arms, legs and everything else) crossed that they'll find a cure soon.

Today's news:

Skoda factory analysed the data from my car's DSG but they need additional data.

Another trip to the dealer for computer reading.

My colleague told me yesterday he tested his car in ECO mode and the self cancel did not happen.

On steady cruise it sometimes speed up and has to be disconnected. Sometimes it comes on by it self if the sw is not in off.

This description would indicate to me there is a faulty cruise switch for the + or Set button.

I would pop to the dealer get them to check this.

Like I said in a previous post, its difficult to diagnose a switch because it only has 2 states (ON or OFF) and both are valid positions.

Some manufacturers will have a diagnostic which looks for a "stuck on" button. i.e. cruise button pressed continuously for more than x seconds.

However, even with this diagnostic its difficult to detect an intermittant button contact from a real button press & for the Set+ Set- buttons its also valid that the driver could hold the button pressed when they want to accelerate.

Today's news:

Skoda factory analysed the data from my car's DSG but they need additional data.

My colleague told me yesterday he tested his car in ECO mode and the self cancel did not happen.

At least some progress, even if its moving slowly Aki.

Hopefully a solution isn't too far away..

Mine was doing the same. I took it back to the dealer but when I got there it worked fine. After an hour they said that they could see the switch had been "mechanically interrupted" lots of times. They have ordered me a replacement switch. It seems they really are as poor quality as they feel. I'd take yours back too and try to get them to change it.

Today's news:

Interesting about Eco mode.  Is that a fluke or a genuine workaround, do you think?  Might be very telling if there's a difference in the software from one mode to the other.  Might also be worth a stint in sport mode too ?????

My RS TSI DSG had issues with the cruise control. It would often show an amber warning light when I went to activate it whilst driving and when it did work the set/resume rocker was sensitive and would occasionally engage when my hand was near or lightly touching the indicator stalk. I took it in to my dealership (Giltrap Skoda here in Auckland, NZ), they ran their diagnostics on it -- interestingly, my OBD2 reader wasn't able to detect the amber warning -- and they replaced the entire stalk that same day. They've sent the report off to Skoda. If you're having the same problem I suggest you ask them to replace the stalk too.

Interesting about Eco mode.  Is that a fluke or a genuine workaround, do you think?  Might be very telling if there's a difference in the software from one mode to the other.  Might also be worth a stint in sport mode too ?????

I asked my colleague but he tested it only for ~300 km in ECO mode.

This means nothing...my personal record is more than 400 km in NORMAL mode without self-cancel.

Tomorrow I will start my day at the dealer again...data reading again...we will see what happens next. Hopefully an update.

My RS TSI DSG had issues with the cruise control. It would often show an amber warning light when I went to activate it whilst driving and when it did work the set/resume rocker was sensitive and would occasionally engage when my hand was near or lightly touching the indicator stalk. I took it in to my dealership (Giltrap Skoda here in Auckland, NZ), they ran their diagnostics on it -- interestingly, my OBD2 reader wasn't able to detect the amber warning -- and they replaced the entire stalk that same day. They've sent the report off to Skoda. If you're having the same problem I suggest you ask them to replace the stalk too.

Exactly the same with mine, an overly sensitive switch trying to kill me by activating cruise each time I indicate to turn. Skoda did find the error and will replace when the part is in stock.... when.

Exactly the same with mine, an overly sensitive switch trying to kill me by activating cruise each time I indicate to turn. Skoda did find the error and will replace when the part is in stock.... when.

Heh, the first time I discovered that I was in a 50km/h zone and it kicked in and tried to get me back up to 100km/h. Which was interesting.

You are lucky guys. A replacement stalk and the problem is away.

On our 3 company cars this is something different. Maybe some software error.

They replaced my stalk in the beginning but it did not help.

It will be my 5th trip to the dealer tomorrow...

1st: ECU reading, no logged error

2nd: stalk replacement

3rd: road test by the dealer then failure report to Skoda

4th: data reading for Skoda

5th: data reading for Skoda (tomorrow)...

I asked my colleague but he tested it only for ~300 km in ECO mode.

This means nothing...my personal record is more than 400 km in NORMAL mode without self-cancel.

Tomorrow I will start my day at the dealer again...data reading again...we will see what happens next. Hopefully an update.

News...

2nd data reading was done by the dealer, it was shorter (only 5-10 min., the 1st was about half an hour).

I also tried ECO, but after 200-300 km on highway the self cancel happened also in ECO mode. So not so often, but happens.

Tomorrow and today the car had really bad days, the cc self cancelled in every hour once or twice in NORMAL mode. :(

• Like 1

Aki, whilst this is not so good for you as the owner, the fact that the problems is happening more often should make it easier for the workshop to capture & understand.

Fingers crossed for a good response from the Skoda very soon...

News...

2nd data reading was done by the dealer, it was shorter (only 5-10 min., the 1st was about half an hour).

I also tried ECO, but after 200-300 km on highway the self cancel happened also in ECO mode. So not so often, but happens.

Tomorrow and today the car had really bad days, the cc self cancelled in every hour once or twice in NORMAL mode. :(

I hope you get it fixed soon. This is just not acceptable.  I've heard about this lots now, and the other extreme of cruise coming on by itself.

Skoda need to sort this, especially as they have the audacity to charge for what is a standard feature on most cars. I try to use mine every day, maybe 20% of the time it works.

Hi,

I bought my new Octavia in Jan this year and I reported the same problem as you within the first week of delivery.

My cruise control trips out after about an hour of operation, normally on a motorway or dual carriage, in dry conditions, on a smooth road and at about 70mph. Green light off but cruise control system operative (white light on).

This has happened on every trip that I have taken of any length. It has been witnesssed once by the local Skoda mechanic on a test run and they have informed me that it tripped out again last week on yet another test run whilst they had a diagnostic computer logged in. My car is with Skoda Lincoln as I write and I am informed that they still cannot trace the problem.

Skoda UK are now involved but still no joy to date,

Have you had your problem resolved yet?

Yes I am also pleased with the car but am not happy with the situation. The car has been faulty since new.

I'd be pleased if you would keep me up to date with your problem. I will do likewise.

PAPS

Thanks for the report PAPS. Would you be so kind as to share your VIN with me so I can get my local dealer to look up the fix (once it is sorted) please (via PM).  I am happy to do likewise and I think AKI78's VIN is already in this thread somewhere.

Hi Smeghead,

My car's details are:

Make & Model: Octavia 5Dr HAT 2.0 TDI CR 150

Chassis No/VIN: TMBBJ7NEXE0130796

I would also like to add that, like "Newbie", I have also had the Stalk replaced, which did not resolve the problem. I also think that ECO mode has no bearing on my problem.

I think that SKODA have a real problem here and I am concerned that they also don't know how to rectify the problem.

I will keep ypu updated.

Regards

PAPS

Hi,

I bought my new Octavia in Jan this year and I reported the same problem as you within the first week of delivery.

My cruise control trips out after about an hour of operation, normally on a motorway or dual carriage, in dry conditions, on a smooth road and at about 70mph. Green light off but cruise control system operative (white light on).

This has happened on every trip that I have taken of any length. It has been witnesssed once by the local Skoda mechanic on a test run and they have informed me that it tripped out again last week on yet another test run whilst they had a diagnostic computer logged in. My car is with Skoda Lincoln as I write and I am informed that they still cannot trace the problem.

Skoda UK are now involved but still no joy to date,

Have you had your problem resolved yet?

Yes I am also pleased with the car but am not happy with the situation. The car has been faulty since new.

I'd be pleased if you would keep me up to date with your problem. I will do likewise.

PAPS

They couldn't catch the problem with a diagnostic computer linked...sounds bad :(

I'm waiting for the next step at the moment. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks Aki78 and PAPS

OK so that's 3 VINs recorded on here that have the same issue.  Those being:

1. Aki78's - TMBJJ7NE4E0147167 plus 2 others (all Elegance 150 TDI estates with CC)
  2. PAPS' - TMBBJ7NEXE0130796 (150 TDI hatch - can you confirm your car has CC and not ACC please?)
  3. Mine - TMBKK9NE8E0133253 (184 TDI vRS estate with CC)

Others have also mentioned experiencing this exact same problem on this thread and I appreciate they may not want to share their VIN publicly but if they do want to share the VIN privately please message me.

Hi Smeghead,

Thanks. I have Cruise Control but am not sure what you meen by ACC - (automatic?).

PAPS

ACC = Adaptive Cruise Control - it's a different system which uses the radar from the front assist to adapt the car's speed when there is traffic, unlike CC which needs a dab on the brakes to slow it down.  

I think it's on a separate stalk whereas 'ordinary' CC is on the indicator stalk. 

Hi themanwithnoaim; copy smeghead and aki,

I have just reread your thread no 42. My car is DSG; I drive in ECO mode; and my CC drops out mainly on Motorways when travelling at a steady speed of 70mph.

Can you elaborate on your statement that this is a common problem with diesels?

Thanks

PAPS

Hi all,

Things are looking a little more promising!

Tuesday am : Skoda Lincoln road tested again and replicated the trip out, with diagnostics on, at 30mph and had sent the info to Skoda Tech. Skoda UK phoned me to say that Skoda Tech had requested Lincoln to change the switch! They were informed by Lincoln that the switch had already been changed and asked for confirmation of the instruction. I asked Skoda UK to check with their Tech Dept whether any other Skoda Octavia had had the same problem.

Tiuesday pm: I called in at Skoda Lincoln for a face to face. They confirmed the above report and were awaiting a reply from Skoda Tech. Lincoln had also asked Tech to check whether any other Octavia had reported the same problem.

Wed am: Lincoln called to say that Tech had now instructed them to change complete Steering Control Unit. Then road test again. I am now waiting to see when Lincoln will receive the Control Unit. Just had a call from Skoda UK (1450hrs) to say that the Steering Control Unit will be in Lincoln tomorrow. Tech have not replied to the querie regarding other Octavias with the same problem!

I am off on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks so Lincoln is keeping my car until my return; hopefully with the problem solved.

PAPS