Horn not working

Hi all,

pressed the horn today, no sound.

Which fuse it is pls?

I can hear clicking from the steering wheel contacts when I press the airbag in.  Tried pressing in all corners, still no sound.    ARe the contacts prone to failing?  

Having said that, I 'think' I can hear a relay type sound when pressing the horn(steering wheel),   so I'm guessing there's electric still going somewhere if I can hear a relay??    Is there a relay or am I just hearing the steering wheel?

Haven't yet looked at the actual horn yet,   just got home,  too dark and wet now.    Do these things fail over time?    And where is the horn located?

is it accessible from the fog light grill area ?  (I know Golf mk4's well,  but not that great around my fabia!)

The only work I've done recently is jack the car up, and fix the alternator blue load wire on the gearbox mount.   Could I have disturbed the horn then?!

thanks for any help guys

PS,   if it's the steering wheel contacts,  does anyone have a how to guide they can point me to,  how to remove steering wheel etc.   I've got a 1.9 comfort ,  which is a 4spoke steering wheel

cheers,

Ok,  so i've just been outside to have another look.

There's definitely a clicking sound from a relay from the dashboard area when I press the horn/steering wheel.

Clicking noise/relay noise doesn't happen if the ignition isn't clicked on - so therefore DEFFO a relay clicking,  so therefore I can safely say the electrics are working.

I can now only assume the horn is knackered.

Had a quick look,  but looks like I'll need to remove the fog light or maybe the undertray to gain access to the horn electrical contacts.  I'm hoping need a new horn or check the contacts at the horn.

Also this guide:

http://www.fabia.skodafriends.ro/downloads/fuse_box.pdf

says horn fuse is no40.   well I took out fuse40, and it looks fine to me,  and the relay still made a clicking noise when I pressed the steering wheel - so what the hell is fuse40 for if it's not for the horn?!?!?!     sorry my car didn't come with a user manaul which is a bit frustrating.

Anyone know the correct part no for a replacement horn?   IT's a single tone horn for what it's worth.

Before buying a new horn I would try and verify if voltage is actually getting to the horn. I think it's a plug so if you have a multi meter handy you can check it from there (obviously need an extra person to press the horn whilst you are looking at the readings)

Removing the front bumper isn't a bad job but before you do it if you have a Haynes manual you could also follow the wiring diagram. I found a wiring diagram on the web in PDF form, just google Fabia wiring diagram and I'm sure you'll find one.

Thanks,

I've bought a 2nd hand fabia horn off ebay now,  in preperation.

I'm hoping it's just a duff horn,  or maybe I disturbed the connection when I recently fixed the alternator load wire a few weeks ago.

Do I really need to take bumper off - can it be done from just underneath the car if I remove the undertray completly?

You may be able to see what the problem is by putting the front wheels on full RH lock, then undo the wheel arch lining front torque screws to allow you to prise it sufficiently away and placing something between the arch liner and the front bumper to allow access, if it's just a wire off you can probably push it back on.

DB.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put this thread to a close,

I got a 2nd hand horn off ebay,  £7 delivered from a scrap yard dealer.

It was for a Fabia too.    Somehow my car's horn was different to the one they sent me,   the one I got sent looked more modern,  has a plastic casing shaped into a horn (snail shell if u like).   The electrical connector was also more alike to modern VW's - plastic push on connector (Same style like the MAF connector,  but smaller).

The connector on my car's horn was different - much older in design,   metal spring clips on both sides.

Had to perform a chop and join of the wires,   and the new horn worked fine on the car.

And there's plenty of room to access the horn from just removing the fog light plastic bumper trim.

So I fix that today and find out I've got a sticking rear caliper,  rear brake was smoking bad after I parked up, and I noticed the handbrake had totally lost it's resistance on the first 2 clicks on the handbrake lever 2 days ago...  doh