BMW Touring 330d xDrive

Hi Stuarted, thanks for that. I have just ordered a MkIII Octavia VRS Estate. I also looked at other manufacturers but in the end, I was not convinced to pay the extra every month again. Now I can't wait for my SKODA to turn up! 

Couldn't agree more. I have an MX5 as well and I reckon with this and an Octavia VRS Estate it is the best of both worlds.

Having moved from a 320D to a mkIII VRS I would say that the Octy wins clearly for space and practicality, is comparable for general ride quality (BM wins on the limit for handling), but lacks the build quality of the 3-Series. Just check the quality of the boot floor and carpet, or door bins, where the BM is leagues ahead. Otherwise the Octy is pretty impressive.

Edit: I averaged mid thirties with my 320d auto, so don't expect 50+ from the 330d. Saying that I am currently averaging just 26mpg from the first 200 miles driving my VRS TSI.

Edited by Orville

Well I have to agree with the above

As Today I took delivery of my new Octavia SE 150 TDI 4x4 Combi And I have to say it is the Best car I have had so far.

On collection it had 6 miles on it and after driving home 80 miles the average mpg was 56.5 and that was driving at 65-70 on the motorway.

The car is very nice to drive with a good ride and very little road or wind noise,The gearbox is very easy and smooth to use and the clutch also very nice.

Build quality seems very good and the boot is Huge ,Mine came with a full size spare wheel that fits under the completely flat variable boot floor.

Instruments are nice and clear and the sat nav and couler maxi dot are very nice to use and look at,also has voice control,Bluetooth etc

What other new estate car can you buy that does over 50 mpg and also has 4x4 and has low emissions ? I can say I did not find A direct rival for this car when I looked in to it before ordering mine apart from a subaru and for one of those you would need another £10,000 for a car with higher emissions and not as good as this is.

Very happy

Pete.

• Like 3

As I mentioned, the BMW driver's seat had just two memory settings.  Can someone advise me please, how many memory settings does the MkIII Octavia have for its (optional) electrically-adjustable seat?

...  I did not find A direct rival for this car when I looked in to it before ordering mine ...

Just so.  However, if Ford ever produce a  4 wheel drive Mondeo estate, Skoda might suddenly have a serious competitior.

Page 66 of the manual seems to suggest 3.

The memory function for the driver's seat provides the option to store the posi- tions of the driver's seat and the external mirrors. Each of the three memory but- tons » Fig. 50 can be assigned a set position.

However it them goes on to talk about saving the settings in the key so it could be five I suppose...  I've attached a grab of the manual below.

post-88956-0-62602300-1394322233_thumb.jpg

Just FYI - you're not able to spec memory seats with a vRS.  Unfortunately...

On the topic of the 330d - It's interesting you say it doesn't feel very special I was looking at the 330d touring as a possible replacement for the vRS in a year or two, but although I've never actually driven a BMW I've been in a fair few (Z4, 320d Coupe, m3 soft top etc) and I've always felt a little underwhelmed considering the reputation.  Sure they're quick but they always remind me of my mother's first Landrover Discovery - great on the outside image wise but not particularly nice inside.

Edited by gullyg

Don't misunderstand me - there was nothing wrong with the BMW (except perhaps the non-availability of a heated windscreen and only two seat position memories), but it didn't exactly take my breath away in any respect.

All the serious reviews I've read suggest that, whatever other options a buyer might choose, the 3-series definitely needs the Adaptive M-Sport Suspension in order to offer good ride comfort and/or good handling.  The car I drove did not have this, despite having lots of other toys.  Its ride comfort was no better (and no worse) that many very ordinary cars I have driven. It did not seem appropriate to test its handling to any real extent, in an expensive car which did not belong to me and while I had a salesman sitting next to me!

As I said earlier, I would contrast this with the Jaguar XK convertible which I test drove a few years ago for a similar distance and in similar circumstances.  That car really did impress me.  The cockpit really did indeed feel a very special place to be.  But just as important, it had adaptive suspension and I was amazed just as much by the way it floated serenely over all sorts of bumps and potholes as by the way it felt glued to the road once you pressed the accelerator and is the only car I have ever driven where the faster you went, the more controlled and stable it felt.  The chassis was so capable and the handling so reassuring that, even with 385bhp, it felt seriously underpowered!  I am told that with the earlier XK, only 15~20% sold were the suoercharged XKR version; with the later model, the figure is nearer 40~50%, and I can well believe this.  With 550bhp on tap, the car should be capable of offering some genuine excitement.

Another difference between the Jaguar and the BMW is that the Jaguar gearbox has a reputation as one of the best and most responsive auto gearboxes there is.  But perhaps the biggest differences are that the Jaguar was petrol and supercharged so that the throttle response was immediate and huge; the BMW was a diesel and turbocharged (a totally different technology)  so that the power build-up was much more progressive - i.e., more sluggish!  These differences are however reflected in the fuel consumpion figures, as you might expect.  But hey, if you're lucky enough to be driving an XKR convertible. who cares about fuel costs?  Even the sound it makes is from a different world to that inhabited by BMW.

Edited by Stuarted

Last time I owned a BM was nearly 12 years ago but I hope in that time their reliability has much improved.

Bar a 306, our 316i and 525ix ranked as the most fault ridden cars I had the misfortune to come across :(

The 525 seemed to fail almost weekly for one thing or another and the 316 was beset with rot and electrical gremlins. Both cars were around 4/5 years old when I took ownership and had full manufacturers service history.

TP

Thanks for your review Stuarted - of particular interest to me as I was seriously thinking of trading in my sports car and my wife's shopping trolley (Honda Jazz) for a decent second car for us. she used to have a BMW 328i Touring and loved it, so the 330d X Drive would have very much been on our short list as would the X3. We tried various hot hatches without success (hence our trial of the Audi S3 which I've whinged about enough here and even the BMW M135i which my wife couldn't get a good driving position due to the offset pedals and felt surprisingly weedy performance wise).We decided that we couldn't replace a powerful sports car with a hot hatch if only because it would be an unfair comparison, so a car that didn't pretend to be a sports car, such as the 330D may have been the way to go. However the two BMW's we have had both came with arrogant and indifferent dealerships - another turn off!

In the end we've decided to keep the cars we've currently got for another couple of years and look again then. Who knows, maybe the Octavia vRS, which I don't really see as a hot hatch (too big, not that quick but much better value and not as much of a compromise and more versatile) may be worth a look then...

Edited by Timoctav

Interesting we all have such different experiences. My BMWs, now all in the past, have been a new 328 petrol manual Touring, a 535 petrol V8 (imported through an agent to get the cost down), a 51 reg M3, and until a year or so ago a 52 reg M5 I kept for 6 years and which actually cost very little to run - which was good, as the bills when they go wrong can be horrendous. All of these were delightful cars in their own ways, some more flawed than others (SMG box on the M3) but always a pleasure to drive with responsive engines. I know less about more modern Beemers, but having driven a few and ridden in others, my impression is that they are now being built very much to a budget whereas they used to be "engineered". They try to deliver what customers see as premium car features (some mentioned above) but the options list is long and expensive. So marks like Skoda are much better value if you want kit and practicality but aren't quite so hell bent on the perfect driver's car. I just hope VAG doesn't try driving our brand up-market to the point where it will cost more but do very little any better than it does now.

• Like 1

It did not seem appropriate to test its handling to any real extent, in an expensive car which did not belong to me and while I had a salesman sitting next to me!

Why not?  You are looking at buying one, you need to test it however you see fit within the bounds of the law.

You want to go 0-62 in 5.6 seconds.. try it.

It's the ultimate drivers car (yeah right... my 525TDS was awful in anything other than a straight line).  You need to properly test these things.

For me, two things make my VRS more special than the 320d it replaced. The first is the TSI engine which is a real peach. It's super smooth and really punchy, and once rolling it doesn't feel much slower than old Impreza STI. The second item is the space, where it leaves the 3 series lagging far behind. The BMW did in my opinion have better build quality, use higher quality trim materials, and have a far better stereo and infotainment system.

The only point I would make is that a 330d xdrive isnt a sports car; its a quick and cheap to run premium medium size hatch aimed at someone who wants a normal car with relatively potent performance and are prepared to pay for it.

The 335d is probably getting there but the big problem is that its a diesel....they are fabulous nowadays and come far from their agricultural routes but I dont care how big and powerful a diesel is, they dont stir the soul like a decent petrol equivalent and never will; if emissions and running costs never came into play id never have a diesel despite being quite fond of them and currently running one. A 335i is the one to have really despite that it now has a power deficit.

Also its not a fair to put an XKR up against a 3 series, an M3 perhaps but not a regular one. Performance wise they are just on different stratospheres. I have had a good sit in a fairy new XKR and would say that it really did in no way feel like an 80k car; their interiors have a bit of pizazz nowadays but JLR can still learn a thing or two on perceived quality from some of their German stablemates.

• Like 2

Like 105CTRDI I recently took delivery of an Octavia 150TDi SE 4x4 Estate and I have to say that I too feel it is the best car by far that I have ever owned. It offers a great combination of a cracking engine, superb chassis, extremely commodious interior and fantastic build quality. I find it very hard to imagine that any BMW 3 series estate could be that much better in any way. Obviously the image of a BMW is better, if that is relevant to you, and possibly the dash area is a bit smarter, but to me these are not important.

In the past I have test-driven various BMWs, all 5 series or 3 series (including a couple of different generation M3s), and I have always been disappointed with them, finding them surprisingly underwhelming, almost to the point of being dull. I struggle to understand why they have the reputation they do. None of them has ever seduced me into buying one.

........So marks like Skoda are much better value if you want kit and practicality but aren't quite so hell bent on the perfect driver's car......

I think that sums up the Octavia range very well.

I've just put a deposit down on a 335d xDrive. 18% discount negotiated.

I think it's a cracking car. Cheap to run, very quick, 4WD for my lengthy country lane commute over the Scottish hills.

The sport auto box is at least as good as my DSG box.

It's hard to argue a case for it in pure terms of value for money compared with the new Octavia (I'll be trading a 3.5yr old mk 2 vRS)

I think though, you could only compare the two fairly if you put a 3 litre diesel in the Octavia.

Now the wait, which is likely to be half of the wait for a vRS!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a BMW story. I had a 5 year old 90 K mile 530d SE tourer auto. Wanted a new car, went to a dealer, again he had a similar spec'd delivery mileage model to my current car. He offered me £5500 for my car against his £32K car with no discount. When I pointed out I couldn't really afford to lose £440 a month in depreciation he seemed a little shocked. I ended up buying a Honda Civic (they have a huge boot which was only for my dog!). BMW's are fine, rubbish in the snow and ice (4x4 excepted), mine ate tyres and the new Mk3 Octi matches it in so many ways and take away the £5000 extra you pay for a 320d, it's a simple choice in my view. 

Interesting debate. I currently have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe CDX  and a 2004 BMW M3. Both very good at what they do but obviously very different beasts. I'm looking for a single replacement for both since the recent arrival of a bouncy baby Citigo means 3 is definitely a crowd.

I will miss the M3 for sure as it is the best car I have ever driven by a country mile and reliability has been fine but it sits in the garage up here (Aberdeenshire) in the winter as the road conditions are no good for the alloy wheels or my safety. I've also owned a 1991 525i SE saloon and a 1997 528i SE saloon and loved their build quality and how they handled on dry roads although their practicality left a lot to be desired. The Santa Fe is very practical and comfortable but wallows about our twisty back roads like an old hippo and the performance is agricultural. Reliability and fuel economy hasn't been what I expected either.

On paper, the 150 TDi 4x4 Octavia looks like the only sensible choice and I was impressed when I poked around one at the dealer recently although I haven't driven it yet. I've test driven the 330D xDrive estate auto and the 335D xDrive saloon auto and quite liked them to sit in and drive but to be honest I can't quite justify the huge price hike compared to an Octavia just for a bit more cabin class, acceleration and road composure. The Octavia is also way more practical with a huge boot and the acceleration is not shabby at all. Still undecided but test drives of the 4x4 Octavia, a Touareg and possibly the X3 are hopefully coming up so I'll provide an update soon. I have to admit the new Scout with an 184 BHP TDi and DSG would be very tempting so I may hold off for a few months.....

Good review. I'm going to be getting a 320d estate on Tuesday for a day or two to try so I'll see whether I agree with you on the BMW. I can't on the MkIII as I've currently got the MkII and think that the new one has a poorer interior with much harder plastics, the handbrake and bonnet release is still suited for the European market which lazy from Skoda, and then there's the price. Far more for the new vRS and for an inferior car, IMO. And yes, I've driven both an Elegance and a vRS and wouldn't buy either this time around.  

• Like 1

I had a BMW 320d auto loan car from D1ck Lovett (stupid nanny system here won't let me spell the name correctly)! the other week for a few days and was very impressed with it. The economy was remarkable, suspension much better than the Octavia, achieved 58 mpg, and one thing that was hugely better was the seamless integration of a conventional automatic transmission to the Diesel engine, a trick that VW have yet to master with their insistence in mating a DSG box to diesel. They simply don't work well together.

Although theBMW was probably not worth all of the £8k more than than my Octavia, the interior is certainly of no better quality, but the drive train is much better - to a certain extent you do get what you pay for.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1