Tyre Steeping!

Hi,

Skoda Superb 1.8Tsi 2011 19,000 mls

It started last December about 500 miles after it's 2nd service what can only be described as an worn wheel bearing sound from 20mph onwards and gradually getting worse with the miles.

I booked the car into the main dealer in Eastbourne to let them have a look which they said the tyres are stepping, that if you feel from across the tread there is a raised part of the tread in the middle of the tyre that is raised above the rest of the tread throughout the circumference of all the tyres. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

The tyres fitted are from new are, Pirelli Cinturato P7, 225/45/R17.

All tyres are evenly worn across the tread but had to change the fronts to the back recently as very near the wear indicators. The main dearer suggested Michelin as better suited to the car. 

Many thanks for any replies

Steve

The only time I have experienced uneven wear across the width of a tyre which continued for the whole circumference was when, some years ago with a different car, I was running on low tyre pressures. I bought the car second hand and, perhaps foolishly, kept running on the set tyre pressures without checking for the proper figures with that result. Under-inflated tyres wear on the outside , over-inflated tyres wear in the centre.

I am not sure what the tyre pressures should be for your estate car, but I run my 2008 Elegance hatch on 33 lbs /sq inch all round and raise the rear to 34 if I have some weight in the boot. That seems to work far better for me than the tyre pressures indicated on the fuel flap of my car which equate to 31 front 34 rear.  (31 is too soft for the front and 34 lets the back bounce a bit when it's empty. ) The Eastbourne dealer suggested 32 all round would be better than the stated pressures when I bought the car, but I found 32 a bit soft.  As your tyres are pretty well worn out, it's probably too late to do anything except replace them to get an improvement. But perhaps for the future you actually need to experiment with somewhat higher tyre pressures than you have been using to produce even wear across the width of the tyre.

Hello Steve

Iv'e had the same problem, with the same kind of tires on mine. The Volkswagen service place claimed it had something to do with wheel alignment. I took the car to my local tire shop and they told me that certain tires where better suited than others and that the problem with steeping, in Sweden they call it "taggiga" tires varies between different manufacturers. At this point i gave up and got new tires of a different brand, i didn't have the energy in me to start making a fuss with the Volkswagen people in my city, since they are well known to be inept, and not very serviceminded.

I sold the old Superb and got a new one, i noticed that the same tires are on the new one, i hope that the problem won't comeback back.

Hi and many thanks for the replies much appreciated, the Superb is the saloon and pressures are 33psi all round as recommended inside the fuel cap. 

I went to my local tyre dealer ATS in Eastbourne which they have seen this before on Pirelli's and also some Continentals as well and with there recommendations I have decided and ordered MICHELIN Primacy 3's They are also going to send the tyres back to Pirelli and if decided there is a fault with the tyres refund less what tread is left on the tyres. So will once fitted I will let you know what the ride is like etc...

If I have done this right I have added photos of the offending item below.

Thanks again for the replies

Steve

P1010196

P1010195

P1010194

I had it on a set of eagle f1s although less pronounced. I just assumed it was something to do with the manufacturing process creating a slightly harder patch. Didn't seem to affect the car and the tyres did 22k on the front.

Who knows... had the Michelins fitted and now very much quieter no bearing noise but not a lot of difference in the ride so will check the pressures tomorrow as not the first time have been over inflated from the tyre fitters! 

I have never come across a wear pattern like that. There is nothing on the car that I can think of that would cause such a pattern.

I can only think that, as Simonsheil says, it is something to do with the manufacture of the tyres. I would regard it as a manufacturing fault.

I run my car with michelin pilot sport 3's on , and all at 35 p.s.i. and have found no problems with the tyres, and handling and ride, seem excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

To stevie 007

Yours tires seems to have a production fail.

That happens when the tire get air between ply layers.

Try Michelin primacy 3 inflated at 36 psi ( 2,5 pound )

Drive one week and recheck tire presure.

Use same pressure tool like first time.

Best to drive back to your tire dealer, they will do that free for charge.(I think so.)

If not to expensive , try Nokian hakka blue.

Hi,

Update

No word from ATS as yet  re; the faulty Pirelli Cinturato P7s that they sent back to the manufacturers for inspection, but keep you advised as and when I hear anything. Had the Michelin primacy 3's fitted just over two weeks and now much better setting the pressures to 33psi as recommended as was set at 38psi from the fitters and they also seem to be getting quieter... probably my imagination but a much smoother ride nonetheless. 

Steve

• Like 1