Golus 18" - SportContact 2 tire pressure

not wanting to risk my head being bitten off, but as a genuine question, surely you'd want to LOWER the pressure slightly for MORE grip, as more there would be more surface area in contact with the road? Or, as your talking about winter tires, and the being a softer compound, is this taken into account?

not wanting to risk my head being bitten off, but as a genuine question, surely you'd want to LOWER the pressure slightly for MORE grip, as more there would be more surface area in contact with the road? Or, as your talking about winter tires, and the being a softer compound, is this taken into account?

My understanding is that, as you say, the softer compound and sidewall of the winters means for a certain weight you need a higher pressure.  Certainly it under-steers much less on 2.4 bar than 2.3, I was initially very disappointed by the grip from them compared to the Conti Sport 2s that were supplied on the car.

I've done about 4500 miles on the winters so far and they don't appear to be wearing unevenly across the "face" of the tyre so they must be about right.  Tyres are Goodyear Ultragrip 8 225/40/r18.

I'm happy enough with the grip now although even when it's below the magic 7dec c they're still not quite as good so the pressure might not be quite right - or it might just be the tyre.  Certainly swmbo reported it was very good on snow, and she hates driving in the snow - but then neither of us have driven it in the snow without winters on, although if it's like the Mk1 fabia vRS without winters it'll be a total pig.

Don't know if it'll help or not as I've got the vRS Estate but I run the 225/40/r18s on mine with 2.3 bar all round, although I've increased to 2.4bar for the winter tyres as get more grip - I'm keeping an eye of the thread to see if it's under or over but apparently winter tyres car be a bit softer an need more pressure.

Below is a pic of my flap ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_1003.jpg

Exactly my point.

If I DEFLATE the tire from it's original 2.8 bar (40 psi) to 2.4 bar 34 the tire looks completly flat. Sidewalls bulging out and all.

I'm stopping by the dealer Friday to have a talk with the guys in the shop.

Exactly my point.

If I DEFLATE the tire from it's original 2.8 bar (40 psi) to 2.4 bar 34 the tire looks completly flat. Sidewalls bulging out and all.

I'm stopping by the dealer Friday to have a talk with the guys in the shop.

Is your gauge correct? I have the same tyres on my vRS and at the recommended pressures in the fuel flap they look perfect, nice and square at the sidewall with no bulging.

Is your gauge correct? I have the same tyres on my vRS and at the recommended pressures in the fuel flap they look perfect, nice and square at the sidewall with no bulging.

Used (the same type) compressor at two different gas stations. It could possible be wrong, but it seemed correct on the winter tyres (using the same two).

I didn't get pictures today, I¨ll see if I can make it Friday.

Used (the same type) compressor at two different gas stations. It could possible be wrong, but it seemed correct on the winter tyres (using the same two).

I didn't get pictures today, I¨ll see if I can make it Friday.

You do know you should set tyres pressures when cold don't you? Doing it at a petrol station is a bit pointless as the tyres will be warm by the time you get there.

You do know you should set tyres pressures when cold don't you? Doing it at a petrol station is a bit pointless as the tyres will be warm by the time you get there.

Both of them are just around the corner from either home or work (< 1 km). It was 5C this morning and 9C afternoon, I don't expect them to heavily influenced by heat ;)

• Like 1