head unit; fabia vrs

Hi all,

I have a mk1 Fabia and are wanting a double din head unit, I have around 200 to spend(apprentice wages!) What's the best I can get? Preferably want to be able to play my music through bluetooth

Have seen an xtrons td106 for 130 seems good spec but is it just Chinese cack?

Thanks in advance

I'd get an Alpine. They have superb sound quality and are really easy to use. Decent power output too. You can get one with Bluetooth and also changeable illumination so you can match it to your car, all for £140: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/double-din/alpine-cde-w235bt

Downside is that it's only got 1 RCA pre-out, so you'd only be able to run one amp directly from it if you wanted to upgrade by adding a separate amplifier and replacement speakers (you could always get a four channel bridgeable amplifier and run components through the front channels and bridge the rear channels for a sub. Don't try bridging channels unless the amp is designed for it or you'll blow it).

Ah, that's great thank you! I will have a look, the amount of rca outputs isn't really a problem for me as I won't be changing the speakers, sick of listening to the radio on long trips! And don't like cables all over my car lol

• Like 1

that's great thank you, going to get the pioneer one from halfords, 2 rca outs so if i do upgrade speakers itll be easier, do you know if the fabia wiring harness fits straight in or will i need an adapter?

Pioneer looks a damn good stereo for the money, it'll have ISO adapters as all aftermarket stereos do now.  I think the Fabia stereo might have ISO connections as standard; you'll probably need an aerial adapter though (Pioneer might come with it in the box)  You'll also need the removal tools to get the old stereo out.  All cheap from ebay.

Probably best to get a complete kit like this and just use what you need (although the centre bar on the surround will need trimming off on this kit):   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-Double-Din-CD-Stereo-Radio-Fitting-Kit-Wiring-ISO-Aerial-2003-2006-/151045292583?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232b004227

If you don't want to mess about trimming the bar, then this one would fit straight in:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-Double-Din-Fascia-Panel-Adapter-Plate-Trim-Cage-Fitting-Kit-ISO-/360775253009?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AFabia&hash=item53ffe17c11

• Like 1

Should be alright, probably won't be as good sound quality as the Pioneer or Alpine (but will be far better than the standard one).  I had a JVC unit a few years ago and it wasn't a bad thing for the money.  You're basically paying the extra money for the DVD capability and touch screen of the JVC though, so it depends if you're going to use the DVD function (and how much you want a touch screen).

One thing to be aware of is that if you buy a stereo through mail order, if it goes wrong then you sometimes have to pay the return postage - and it can be a fair bit on a car stereo (£20 or so).  It's happened to me in the past.

I'd still go for the Pioneer if it was my money (especially as you can just pick it up from Halfords and take it back if it goes wrong), but when I was younger and virtually lived in my car it'd have been the JVC DVD unit for sure!  If you do get the JVC one, make sure you don't flatten the battery watching DVDs on it!

will keep on the hunt see if i can find a pioneer or alpine, wont be watching dvds that much more for passenger use on long drives, and i kinda like the fact it has a proper screen on it rather than a basic cd player screen and big volume knob like the pioneer (went and played about with it in halfords last night)

I got meself the DEH-80PRS at the weeekend. The installer mentioned it was a good make...in fact so good he had it in his own car.....he did say they are abfab for that price, with the next jump being a few hundred pounds more.

Cant wait to have it installed next weekend !

• Like 1

You don't need any aftermarket facia adapter, your local dealer will sell you the OEM adapter for about £4 then no need to cut anything in the dash as the HU will just fit the existing opening. Then swap the red and yellow power wires and you should be good to go.

Looks similar to the single DIN Pioneer that I had,  It had a very impressive sound quality and features galore.  I reckon you'll be happy with it!  Would be a great base to build a full-on upgraded system on too.

Go for Alpine or Pioneer.  Just comes down to what features you want then.

Driveless ones don't have a CD player - beware! (if you're an old fogey like me that still uses CDs, that is).

Sooo, my radio came today, went for the double din JVC unit,

Got my radio out fine, went to fit the new one, the cage it cane with is a very tight fit and doesn't go all the way back, is there a specific double din cage or do I just force the JVC one in?

Many thanks

The cage sits right at the front of the stereo, so it sounds like it's catching on something as you push it in.  Make sure you pull the cables through the cage before slotting the cage in, so they don't catch on the cage and stop it going in.