Opinions on 1.2 tsi

I'm thinking hard about replacing my 1.2 tsi yeti with an Octavia. I love the 1.2 apart from early ones like mine being a little problematic. Plus the yeti isn't the best shape for a fuel efficient small petrol engine. Motorway driving really takes a hit on fuel economy. Looking at specs for the octavia 1.2, it seems really impressive. I've only read magazine reviews about it but I wanted opinions from the real people who drive it every day. So how are people getting on with the octy 1.2 and would you recommend it ?

No problems with mine, mpg isn't brilliant, but not to bad. Mixed driving is seeing me at 44mpg now and car is just past 10k miles.

On a good run on clear A roads and dual carriageways, keeping to max speed limits I did achieve 50mpg with a 2 adults, 3 kids and luggage.

I have been pleased with it, but if you can stretch to a 1.4 I don't think that would be noticeably thirstier in the real world, but will give you a bit more oomph for overtaking on A roads.

I've had my Octavia 1.2 TSI since last June and covered 8k miles. Your choice of engine comes down to how you use the car, personally the 1.2 TSI suits me perfectly, my daily commute is a 30 mile round trip plus a longer journey 2-3 times a month. From a standing start the 1.2 is adequate, once you start to pick the revs up the move through the gears it's really good. The pick up from 60-70mph is also very good, I was really surprised at this.

Now I've had the car a while I don't really think about the engine size I just get in and drive the car and never really feel left wanting. My long-term MPG is 51 which I'm more than happy with. So my advice is to think about how you will use the car and match the engine to that, don't try and make the 1.2 TSI do something it wasn't designed for, like pulling a caravan up a steep hill.

Good luck with the decision

• Like 1

So far, one month on, and having driven about 1200 miles, it is a bit early to give definitive mpg figures, but according to the trip computer I get 44.8 mpg up to now. This includes about 2/3 country roads and 1/3 city driving. Out of town I can approach 50 mpg, and in the city I get about 40-43 mpg. Whenever possible, I try to drive economically, but I don't overdo it.

I have winter tyres on, rough road package installed, and there has been some cold weather, all of which would have affected my mpg negatively. The engine run-in is also still not complete. 

Though I have the SEAT Leon I must say after nearly 6,000 miles (Bought it with just under 15,000 car now has just under 21,000 on the clock) I am surprised how good it feels, cracking wee engine,  excellent economy 49 - 52MPG (not had it on a motorway yet as there are none up my way) well over 550 miles on a tank full....

Edited by WeirdKerr

I haven't driven the 1.2TSi in a mark 111 but I have in a mark 11 FL. I think it is very smooth and a great little engine. If you drive it in isolation from something bigger you will love it. If you try a 1.4TSi or a 1.6CR TDi or a 2.0CR TDi then I'd think you will find it lacking and want the extra power.

You will have to drive it within its capabilities. If you do big distances or carry weight, carry extra passenges go for a 1.4TSi. Working the 1.2TSi hard I suspect it would use more fuel than the 1.4TSi.

When we bought our 1.8TSi I found it easier to drive than the 1.4TSi, with more power overtaking was much easier, motorway driving was easier as more power in hand and it felt quieter as the engine turning over at less rpm.

We get an average mpg out of the 1.8TSi of about 38mpg, long runs close to or more than 50mpg.

The mark 111 Octavia is a great car and you'd be happy with any engine choice.

Evening all

I've only had my 1.2 TSI for just under a week but I'm amazed at how relaxing it is too drive, it really is a very good little engine. I've not had it fully loaded yet but I'm not a boy racer anymore lol, MPG is more important than MPH :think:

Mark

Well I currently get between 26-36 mpg around town and 38-42 mpg on motorways in my 1.2 yeti. If I could achieve mpg in the low 50s with the octavia i'd be very pleased. It should certainly shift better than my yeti as it's lighter and not brick shaped. The 1.4 would be my ideal motor but I think it would be too expensive.

I think you'll be impressed.

The MQB platform cars all have the new gen TSi ans TDi engines, only some have more power than the last gen but all provide better power delivery, performance and efficiency.

The 1.2 TSi in manual hatch form weighs barely over 1100kg which is ridiculously light for a large family hatch, the estate is hardly any heavier again. As a consequence even the 1.2 has a power to weight ratio to match more powerful but significantly heavier cars of the same footprint. It probably goes better the MK2 1.4 TSi 122 given its considerably lighter and only down 20hp but would need working fairly hard to achieve it.

Only thing I will say from experience of owning a small (but admittedly 180hp) TSi and also having driven a Fabia 1.2 TSi 105 was than when you use the performance the on paper efficiency really does go out of the window and I dont expect the newer gen engines to be significantly different in this regard; given you own a 1.2 Yeti guess thats needless to say really.

The diesels dont produce great efficiency until they have a few miles under their belt and suffer on short runs or when undertaking a DPF regen but are much more forgiving of a heavy right foot.....also id argue that performance wise they are now bang on the money compared to the smaller TSi's; not quite so fun perhaps but every bit their match in terms of capability...better in gear flexibility by their very nature also.

Edited by pipsyp

I have had a 1.2 since September and have covered around 6,500 miles. Long term consumption is around 45mpg. I have a 10 mile commute each way - in the week with stop start traffic we get around 40 mpg, but when we drive in on a Sunday in light traffic we usually get just over 50mpg. On Motorway trips we get around 55 mpg, but it is noticeable that the mpg drops considerably on long uphill stretches (not surprising really) - the M62 from Manchester up to Saddleworth is a long uphill drag that really hits mpg - mind you on the way back it is much better.

We came from a  Mondeo 2.0 Diesel and the acceleration and speed in normal use compares well - I don't hammer the car, and don't have heavy loads. If feels a lot lighter ( because it is). A friend has a 1.4 and it is a fair bit quicker, and his mpg is a little higher, but the car was a few grand dearer too. We also opted for the S model over the SE was the extras on the SE were not important to us - we did add cruise control and rear parking sensors though. We like the practicality of the car - there are hooks everywhere in the boot , the ICE system is good, chilled glove box is handy to keep your drinks cool on a long drive - in fact I don't really have any major negatives - it is a little heavy on oil consumption, but hopefully that will settle down as the engine runs in more. We also like the £30 pa Road Tax and low insurance premiums. We also like the large load space both with seats up and with seats down - one of the main reasons we opted for the Octavia. Most people who go in the car are amazed that it is the base model - it is very well equipped for the money.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...