Exhaust Control System LIGHT VRS - JUST GOT IT HOME

Maybe because you have good fuel, like Mainland Europe.

THe UK has not had 92 Ron for a long time, but sometimes the 95 ron sold here is as bad as 92 ron was.

100-102 ron as bought on Mainland Europe is lovely stuff.

(as is the Race Fuel 102 i buy here for special days of fun in a Twincharger.

25 litres for £67.50 or more.)

Not up to date, but see the various countries and the fuel supplied for an idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

http://www.vitalequipment.co.uk/%20Hiperflo-250

About £2.50-£3 a tank more than 95 ron, and worth every penny IMO

Why would you not use it, rather than Shell V Power Nitro, where you pay for their Advertising.

http://www.tescopfs.com/momentum99/specifications

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuel/testing_results

Sure id suggest running it on 97-98ron "branded" super if you technically want to extract the very best from it, but the explicit use of super unleaded is absolutely not necessary or required in order to have a vRS without running problems.

Ive always purchased branded fuel be it normal or super grade from BP, Esso, Shell, Texaco and the likes and v v v rarely from a supermarket. The only time ive had running problems with a car was after filling up a few day old Astra 1.9 CDTi 150 SRi XP with Tesco fuel and it never quite went the same again.....fortunately at this point i was only keeping the cars for three months at a time.

Runs off and hides whilst yet another branded v supermarket fuel argument begins on Briskoda!!

No you are fine on 95 ron.

Nobody says you or anyone need to spend anymore.

Just a car and an engine,

But you mention driving a bit harder even on Super unleaded and feeling misfires. post #21

Thats why a ECU update was required.

(Sainsburys Super Unleaded is 97 ron minimum, if anyone is using that, not 98 ron minimum.)

Tesco Momentum 99 is Minimum 99 ron.

If that is OK or suits you with you running 95 ron, not having the available performance of 98 Octane

or higher,

then its yours and everyone elses choice.

But a 1390 cc Twincharger with a minimum 180ps getting driven hard and having a Misfite and going into Limp Mode 

might be PITA for some.

You decide to give it some welly and you have an 'Exhaust Emission Control light' flash or a 'EPC light',

or even both together.

UK National speed limits and not accelerating hard, no reason why you would ever notice,

other than maybe cold starts,

Will be so useful to find out the cars history re warranty work etc. I'd ring skoda uk on Monday to find out. This info will be handy if you need to reject the car and get your money back if they haven't been honest and upfront about any issues with the car when they sold it to you. Hopefully the warranty the dealer has laid on will offer the same kind of protection as the original manufacturer warranty.

• Like 1

Mine didnt drive quite right under hard use until it had the ECU update; unless theres something more wrong with the car mechanically id be very surprised if it wasnt something to do with the known ECU update.

Mine drove noticeably better after the update and never misfired again regardless of the fuel put in it. Sure this only affects CAVE engined cars from launch to late 11 at which point the CTHE engined cars were introduced (2012 model year I believe)

No , you can still have a CTHE show the Exhaust control light if running it on 95-97 ron.

& then boot it very hard, dropping into the 2,500-3,400 rpm range and keeping going with the throttle floored.

I had one out that was like dross on Sainsburys Super, just before Xmas.

(dealer Demonstrator, 1,500 miles on it,

it had in 95 ron from Asda in the salesman told me,

so i filled it with 30 litres of Sainsburys Super.)

But it was wet/damp weather as well as coldish.

Damp/raining can be an issue, Air Intake.

CAVE, Seat, Skoda, VW, Audi, 2009-late 2012.

CTHE, from Last Quarter/Late Summer 2012- now.

Hi Guys, Skoda/RAC guy sorted it. Said it was down to a over pressured turbo, which could be down to an over sensitive sensor or the fact that its been sat and then ragged to bits. He said it was nothing to worry about and the turbo was fine. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Will be running it on V power from now on anyway. 

• Like 1

Excellent, a good result.

so just like many Used Twinchargers bought from Dealerships.

Or cars sitting doing short runs, etc on 95 ron.

Still best call Skoda UK Customer Services  on Monday & get told the Warranty History if any.

& ask for a Conformation Email & a Print Out.

For the Service Folder.

Bloody hell!! Just driven about 50 miles and after starting it again, the lights come on again!!! Not in limp mode and it's fine, not misfiring but it's obviously the turbo fault again. I've rang skoda who will ring back tommorow am (service department) and il take it in for full diagnostics and to sort it out.

You were still running 95 ron were you not, and not given the exhaust system to get really hot, 

then when running 98/99 ron straight,

Once running fine easily, and with the engine under some load,

then blast the soot out the exhaust.

So basically you were running it the same as yesterday.

Only the RAC had put the light out.

At least they should pick up on any fault at the Dealership.

ECU update is hopefully all it needs.

Ask if it has had one in the last 39,000 miles.

??

Did it get a new Airfilter at the last Service?

Yes, but the rac guy said the diagnosis said that it was a fault of the turbo over boosting. So this doesn't have anything to do with the fuel. I will do as you say, only a 1/4 of a tank of standard fuel left.

No not really. If you do not mind.   I Charge More than Skoda Dealerships for an hourly rate.  (Joking!!)

VAG/Skoda have had 4 years to sort out the engines, and are not Interested in listening to people like me,

So i will leave you in the hands of Professional VAG Trained Master Techs.

They are doing the Warranty work.

Are these turbos variable veined? I had it years ago with a golf gt tdi130 beit diesel and dirty soot. The previous owner must of drove it like a tart and veins clogged up. Hence when it reached full boost the veins didnt adjust to regulate the boost and so it overboosted and went into limp mode. The turbo wasnt faulty just dirty as such clogging the veins up.

Yours could be a similar problem but petrol is much cleaner so maybe not....just a thought.

• Like 1

If you can be bothered,

Just put in the 3/4 tank of Shell V Power if that is what you are going to use,

Give it a 20 - 30 mile run easy,

then go back in and Vent it full of the Shell if no Light has shown,

and then take it for a bit of a faster run.

If no light is coming on,

the code is there for them tomorrow, and you have had some more time driving.

ECU update done , and you might notice a nice improvement from Yesterdays drive.

Yes, but the rac guy said the diagnosis said that it was a fault of the turbo over boosting. So this doesn't have anything to do with the fuel. I will do as you say, only a 1/4 of a tank of standard fuel left.

Turbo over boosting code? Just a thought but maybe worth checking that the previous owner hasn't remapped it?

I have just managed to get down to 5 miles left in my tank, eg nothing. So I am going to go to shell garage in the morning (on the way to skoda derby) and fill it up with a tank of Vpower.

I will give it a good run on Vpower up the motorway.

Also will make them check turbo, history of remap/any replacement. And also any updates availible. Hopefully after a diagnostic they will identify and replace necessary quickly

Tank of V power in the car now, £61 of fuel and it had NO 95RON fuel left it in when I filled up. 

Light is still on, and it's booked into Skoda Derby tomorrow AM. So will let you all know what happens. Fingers crossed it's just an ECU update or a faulty sensor. But I do wonder, seeing as the RAC guy said it was a turbo over boost fault which, he said, could be a magnitude of things. 

Lets wait and see I guess. 

To sort of back things up, they will run on 95, but run a lot better on Super (I use Tesco Momentum99 as a rule).  They run better (smoother), pull better, start better and get better mpg figures to more than compensate for the increase in cost (proven over 54,000 miles of vRS driving, about 120k of twinchargers as my Scirocco had one as well).

Either way, let Skoda fix the problem.  They sold it, it's faulty, they need to fix it.

At 39k, it should have had a set of plugs by now - hopefully they fitted the right ones although misfire issues tend to bring on the EPC light rather than the "Check Engine" light which implies a sensor (which seems to possibly be the case).  It could have had anything done by the previous owner (including possibly a Revo map which can do funny things according to the information collected by George).

• 1 month later...

Just thought I should update this topic. I have now had the car into skoda 4 times, and tommorow will be the 5th. I still love the car and wouldn't swap it for the world but the bladdy exhaust light is still coming on and reports on VAG diagnostics of a turbo over boost each time...which makes sense to me as it seems to light up when planting the pedal.

The light doesn't result in limp mode so it's ok to drive around in and still performs great but I'm getting a bit sick of the light. 3 weeks ago they had it in for 5 days and said they had real trouble figuring out what it was and ended up saying it was a faulty G5 (I think it was) sensor and replaced it, but obviously it wasn't as it's lit again. They are adiment and I tend to agree that it hasn't been remapped so it's back in again for them to puzzle over what it is.

Obviously a common fault but not common enough for them to have any idea over what's wrong. I need to get it in for a few things (replacement badge and wheel centre caps, replacement parking sensor and the back has started to really creek which by reading other forums, I guess to be a suspension component).

I will update you all this time as and when I hear what they say.

George