metal noise

Hi my name is Dawn and i drive a octavia vrs '06. Last week whilst driving i heard a metal type noise from the rear of my octavia, it sounded like i drove over a sheet of metal and it was dragging along under the car, rubbing on the wheel, but when i checked under the car there was nothing there. I carried on driving to work and after about 2 minutes of scraping the noise completely went and since then no noise, any idea what could have caused this noise. 

Thanks Dawn

Possibly a stone got temporarily stuck in the rear brake guard. It sounds terrible and makes you think something is dreadfully wrong!

• Like 1

HI Dawn, as above, its possibly the worse noise you will ever hear, sounds like the exhaust has dropped off and dragging along the ground. The stone should just break up and fall out, which it seems like it did in your case. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

It's maybe the brake guard has come loose and is rubbing on the brake disk. The 3 bolt holes that hold the guard on are prone to reacting chemically with the bolts and breaking so that the bolts no longer hold them on firmly.

Easiest way to fix is cut old ones off and cut the new ones ( small strip holding them together) and slide them over the wheel hub then bolt them up.

It's maybe the brake guard has come loose and is rubbing on the brake disk. The 3 bolt holes that hold the guard on are prone to reacting chemically with the bolts and breaking so that the bolts no longer hold them on firmly.

Easiest way to fix is cut old ones off and cut the new ones ( small strip holding them together) and slide them over the wheel hub then bolt them up.

Loose stone guard sounds more metallic.

If you're going to cut it off be very careful around the reluctor ring on the hub. If it's rusted (very common) you can easily knock a bit out meaning a new hub coz you'll get all the ABS lights on.

That's what I did anyway :swear: