Handbrake "failure"

FYI - From my quote above about my missus turning into the Hulk, she has an older Focus which does not require the clutch to be pressed for starting. I'm greatful my Octavia does have this feature

Edited by Rob123

Cheers, just been looking on Etka myself, well the impact on mine was next to the numberplate on the drivers side which is the low tone horn so I assume that's buggered as i'm only getting the high tone.  Well there's nothing that can be done until the body shop get a new bumper and take mine off and have a look I guess.....

Spoke with SUK customer services again today, the guy has spoken to my Skoda dealers on the inspection they did on Friday and as they found nothing wrong there's not really more they can do.  I did mention the two other owners on here that have had the handbrake fail but understandably there's nothing SUK can do with just somone's word off the internet........  I don't know if other people plan on contacting SUK with regards their issues but I guess for now there's nothing more can be done until people do.

He's still also chasing up a new front bumper and will be contacting me again by Thursday....

• Like 1

I emailed Skoda UK over the weekend and also spoke to them earlier today. I explained the problem again and was told they had spoken to their technical people who cannot understand how this can happen and this is the first handbrake problem they had heard of!!!

As this problem has not reoccurred there is not much they can do so all I can do is report it again if / when it happens again.

I mentioned about the other two people on the forum who had handbrake issues and was told if owners do not report problems to Skoda UK they cannot sort them out or build up any history of problems. 

Have you tried the 'MOT test' I posted earlier in this thread. With the handbrake on, push/hit the handle to the left and then to the right. If it releases, it is an MOT failure. i.e. you are pushing the ratchet pawl off the side of the ratchet plate.

The most common reason for this type of failure is owners climbing over the handbrake lever and bending the mechanism from the vertical.

I've also seen cases, where for one reason or another, the driver pulls up the handbrake lever with their right hand (or both) and is pulling the lever to the right as well as up.

I've not seen any faulty from the factory.

• Like 1

I've not seen it myself but swmbo complained the other day that the car started rolling at a set of lights.

I just put it down to hill hold coming off and jerking the car combined with her not pulling the handbrake up enough.

Will have to keep an eye on it. Worrying...

I emailed Skoda UK over the weekend and also spoke to them earlier today. I explained the problem again and was told they had spoken to their technical people who cannot understand how this can happen and this is the first handbrake problem they had heard of!!!

As this problem has not reoccurred there is not much they can do so all I can do is report it again if / when it happens again.

I mentioned about the other two people on the forum who had handbrake issues and was told if owners do not report problems to Skoda UK they cannot sort them out or build up any history of problems. 

Interesting, i've spoken with them twice on this since Wednesday.  Do you fancy exchanging Reg's via PM for any future contact with SUK?  I'll be speaking to them later his week.

Have you tried the 'MOT test' I posted earlier in this thread. With the handbrake on, push/hit the handle to the left and then to the right. If it releases, it is an MOT failure. i.e. you are pushing the ratchet pawl off the side of the ratchet plate.

Yes I've tried that with no issues.

I've not seen it myself but swmbo complained the other day that the car started rolling at a set of lights.

I just put it down to hill hold coming off and jerking the car combined with her not pulling the handbrake up enough.

Will have to keep an eye on it. Worrying...

SWMBO complained of something similar with her vRS a week ago. I tested it by trying to pull away with the handbrake still up and it did so all to easily.

I exercised the handbrake about a dozen times - pulled it up quite high and released etc - and the handbrake appears to be better. SWMBO hasn't complained about it since.

Could be something to with the handbrake auto adjuster perhaps.

Hi neily03, how long did it take to get your new bumper? My car has been in for repair two weeks now after the wing mirror damage (earlier thread). The body shop phoned today saying they were still waiting for a bumper to be delivered.

People don't check their car is in neutral before starting?

Mine comes up with a message on maxidot if you try to start car when in gear.

Out of curiosity I tried it.

Mine comes up with a message on maxidot if you try to start car when in gear.

Out of curiosity I tried it.

Mine doesn't, it only asks for the clutch pedal to be depressed other than that it can be in neutral or in gear.