vRS and S3

I tend to agree, I know A LOT of people with BMWs that just don't drive them in bad conditions as they genuinely can't get off the drive. My (now gone) 135i DCT Convertible was pretty bad, I got stuck once on a wet verge trying to 3 point turn in a narrow lane - eventually ESP off and full throttle sorted it, made quite a mess but sounded good!

I'm sure this BMW in winter thing is just internet rumour. I'm yet to live through a winter where I drive past written off BMWs littering the sides of the road.

Trust me its true, and the more bhp the worse it is.

I had to get towed off the gym car park the other year as I couldn't get out once in..

Edited by mikeoz

Trust me its true, and the more bhp the worse it is.

I had to get towed off the gym car park the other year as I couldn't get out once in..

My dad's 330d Coupe turns into a giant paper weight as soon as someone mentions snow! :D

• Like 1

I'm sure this BMW in winter thing is just internet rumour. I'm yet to live through a winter where I drive past written off BMWs littering the sides of the road.

No it isn't - as I mentioned earlier I had a BMW 123d and it was an absolute nightmare in the winter. Slightest bit of ice and snow and you went nowhere. Maybe it is a problem with the run-flats. My wife's humble Honda Jazz fine. Even the 911 was better - with extreme care!

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1

I've had an E46 325i Coupe and E92 335i Coupe. Both useless in the snow, although I admit not the most winter friendly tyres. It has put me off a RWD BMW as our main car, especially as second is a 350Z Roadster, also not much better.

Currently torn between VRs and 330d xDrive to replace a Golf GTD. Looked at both again at the weekend. Love the BMW, but can't ignore the extra space of the VRs, and the cost. The 5 Series is ruled out because of no 4WD, although I know you can faff about with extra wheels, winter tyres etc

Maybe the fact that you can't actually get a VRs anyway will swing the BMW

I also wonder why the rumours don't extend to Mercedes as C class and above are rear wheel drive.

Pfff, people owning Mercs/BMWs/Jags and not spending a minor amount of money (compared to what the car costs) on getting some proper winter tires...

@kenny, this thread could use some more photos. It's a general meltdown of topics in here. :)

Good looking car, kenny, no doubt about it. I like the pop up screen at eye level, much better than having to look down at it as with most cars.

Edited by Timoctav

@ kenny - 2 gorgeous cars there! Very jealous.

@ BMW in winter rumour-mongers - as someone has already said, a decent set of winter tyres will make a huge difference come the cold and / or snowy days.

As they say in Canada, where my brother lives: 2WD worst, 4WD next, 2WD with winters better, 4WD with winters best of all.

Finally, love the thought of a Golf R at £200 and some a month, but life isn't quite that simple - don't forget insurance and running costs!

Great thread though!

Cheers, Dunc.

• Like 1

Finally, love the thought of a Golf R at £200 and some a month, but life isn't quite that simple - don't forget insurance and running costs!

There are no running costs :rock: , the deal was fully maintained, serviced, RFL & even replacement tyres!

Insurance for anyone over 30 should be OK.

I do think that the best deals have now gone though. The company I used is now advertising the same deal @ £100 / month more than the one I got last week.

One picture missing.... the back view of the Octy... loving the tail pipe setup on those models... this should have been standard across the range.

Loz.

As I recall from when I specced one up the MMI HDD is an option, same as Columbus is with the Octavia

Id guess from the pic its probably got the standard popup screen, SD driven nav possibly?

Back to Golf R - it's just won the Evo hot hatch test - just. They really love it!

S3 not in the test. 135i was though.

Edited by dunc69