Looking to take 1.4 TSI with DSG

I need a few more opinions before purchase.

I took a 1.2 TSI on a test drive, but there is no 1.4 TSI anywhere, so I cannot try it.

I also tried 2.0 TDI and I was quite impressed with its power deliverly but I dont do many miles so TDI is out of the question.

If 1.4 TSI is as fast as 2.0 TDI this will be enough for me, but there is no way for me to verify this.

I will definitely take DSG regardless of what engine I take so I am hoping this works well together.

I test drove a 1.4 tsi yesterday and was so impressed I bought it. It's got plenty of power. The 1.2 should be good, it is i'm my yeti around town so in a lighter & sleeker octavia it should be fine. I just wanted a little more poke and the used 1.4 was too tempting.

I considered the 1.4TSI, the 2.0 TSI and the 2.0TDI.  I bought the 2.0 TDI in the end even though I only do 4 - 5000 miles a year.

The 1.4 was quite pokey but I had a nagging doubt in my mind about the longevity of a motor that's quite highly stressed (comparatively) and the TDI should hold its value better in the long term.

I considered the 1.4TSI, the 2.0 TSI and the 2.0TDI.  I bought the 2.0 TDI in the end even though I only do 4 - 5000 miles a year.

The 1.4 was quite pokey but I had a nagging doubt in my mind about the longevity of a motor that's quite highly stressed (comparatively) and the TDI should hold its value better in the long term.

But you are talking about 2.0 vrs models if I am not mistaken, I was referring to 2.0 TDI with 150PS.

But you are talking about 2.0 vrs models if I am not mistaken, I was referring to 2.0 TDI with 150PS.

Yes I did buy a vRS in the end, but also tried a 1.4TSI.  It was a lot pokier than i expected to be honest. The 150PS TDI is not  that much slower than the vRS.  

Horses for courses. The TDI suits me but it's not for everyone. 

If I had to make the choice between the 1.2, 1.4TSi & 2.0 TDi, then I would say:

Take the 1.2 if you do mostly town/city & local tripping.

Take the 1.4 if you do a broad mix of town/city & some occasional medium-long distance driving and you like to have a bit of fizz under the bonnet too.

Take the 2.0 TDi if you're mix is more biased towards longer journeys & with a smaller amount of town/city driving.

For me, I was really torn between the 1.4 TSi & 2.0TSi/2.0 TDi (vRS's) and in the end after quite a lot of working out with the salesman, I thought that the 2.0TDi wouldn't be overly suited to the smaller distance journeys I regularly do.

That left the two petrol engines, the 1.4 & 2.0 (vRS), both would have to be DSG models and when I specced up the cars, to what I wanted it worked out that the vRS would be slightly better for me & my needs.

Although living around here near Guildford, it's a bit wasted due to the geriatrics & wimps that we have wandering around on our roads. 

I need a few more opinions before purchase.

If 1.4 TSI is as fast as 2.0 TDI this will be enough for me, but there is no way for me to verify this.

Simple answer to this question, Yes the 1.4 is as fast as the 2,0TDI and in my view more responsive - officially it is .1 seconds faster than the 2.0TDI.

Another plus for the TSI is in the winter the engine warms up really quick and gives heat into the cabin, my 1.6TDI was only just giving out minimum heat by the time I got to work 5 miles away - I used to do big journeys at the weekend.

Simple answer to this question, Yes the 1.4 is as fast as the 2,0TDI and in my view more responsive - officially it is .1 seconds faster than the 2.0TDI.

Thats true on paper, but I am more interested on how does it perform in real world when you floor it in different circumstanses (when starting, in slower speeds / higher speeds, being loaded / empty)? 

Edited by toni8b

It's more than capable for all the situations I drive in and I drive it in all real world situations, but then again my view will always be different to anybody else.

You need to find a dealer with one and give it a good test drive.

You need to find a dealer with one and give it a good test drive.

Unfortunatelly 1.4 isnt available anywhere for a test drive in my area, only 1.2

I drove the 2.0 TDI manual then the 1.4 TSI DSG, I brought the later, its as quick if not quicker, its smoother, quieter, warmer sooner & cheaper than the TDI.

Mines a bit juicy while its bedding in but, I don't think I'm gonna be more than 10mpg behind the flithy, stinking, oil burners LOL used to have one, my world's a quieter place now.

Regards

T

BTW. The 2.0 TDI and the DSG box don't work as nicely as they do in the TSI.

BTW. The 2.0 TDI and the DSG box don't work as nicely as they do in the TSI.

I actually heard otherwise, that the 6 speed DSG works much nicer than the 7 speed DSG which is more jerky, especially on take off and low speeds.

I test drove a 2.0 TDI DSG, a 2.0 TDI Manual and a 1.4 TSI Manual. For me, the 1.4 TSI was the quickest, smoothest and most comfortable to drive, so I've ordered one. I currently drive a 2.0 dci 175bhp Renault Laguna and I wanted to see if the 1.4 TSI could provide the same performance, particularly at the top end. The 1.4 TSI is quicker 0-60 and, surprisingly, pretty close to the Laguna when accelerating at higher speeds 70-90. Time will tell if sustained higher speeds in the 1.4 will prove as comfortable and effortless as in the Laguna. I drive to Germany a couple of times a year and constant high speed on the autobahn is a requirement.

As for the 2.0 TDI versions, the manual was definitely the better of the two for me. Neither seemed particularly good to drive, with a noticable cabin boom, made worse by the DSGs 19" alloys. The DSG was less responsive than the manual and, frankly, neither was as good to drive as the Laguna.

Hence, it's the petrol version for me.

I have now had my 1.4DSG Elegance wagon for nearly 4500km. Its a really nice engine/gearbox combination to drive. The DSG really is slick once you understand how it works, and being able to switch to sport mode by flicking the gear lever back is a great feature. I use it quite a bit when pulling into traffic etc. It has really strong torque and acceleration in the 0-80km/h range which is where I do most of my driving and I've only tried a couple of times but the 0-100km'h time seems to be around 8s, not really built for that but pretty quick for a 1.4.

Fuel consumption is great for a petrol, particularly good on the highway but drops quite a bit for stop/start driving. My consumption has been 5-6l/100km on the highway, average on a trip to town and back last night was 5.5l/100km. It gets around 7-8l/100km with stop/start driving and my average since new has been 7.5l/100km. One advantage of a petrol over a diesel is that they warm up quicker and are better suited to short trips, my other car which is a 3l diesel takes a good 10 mins to properly warm up.

That fast warm up time is why I chose petrol and when you add the insulation pad under the bonnet it's even quicker to warm up and nice and quiet.

The pad is about an extra £30 to order, but worth it.

The 1.4 offers excellent power and torque in a v lightweight package and is bound to be more refined than a TDi; however the 150 TDi is a bit more powerful still (power to weight is still ever so slightly in the diesels favour despite being a fair margin heavier) and 52lb/ft torque even over a relatively short rev range is still alot of additional punch that aids in-gear flexibility and the ability to cart load around effortlessly. It also delivers its power way better than the previous gen CR motors did.

Then when it comes to PCP'ing one a TDi will cost less on the basis its residuals are better despite being the more expensive car (not an issue for a cash buyer admittedly) and the TDi once its got a few miles under its belt on a reasonably journey will undoubtedly return better economy than the 1.4....the minute you really open the taps on the 1.4 that 55mpg capability would dwindle significantly.

For me I think the 150 TDi still just about offers the best compromise of performance vs running costs; its every bit as quick as a Mk2 170 CR vRS, hardly any slower than a Mk3 vRS 184 TDi and is very efficient. Its just not very quiet and for those who have a dislike for diesels in general then its probably not going to be for them.

Drive both and see what you prefer but certainly dont discount the 150 TDi its an ace bit of kit and in SE/Elegance form its a bit of a sleeper too.

What is really missing on 1.4 engine is cylinder deactivation like there is on Golf and Audi A3. I wouldnt want to buy this engine now if they are planning to include this feature soon.

What is really missing on 1.4 engine is cylinder deactivation like there is on Golf and Audi A3. I wouldnt want to buy this engine now if they are planning to include this feature soon.

Adds quite a bit of complexity for minimal gain. I'm really happy not to have it.

Sent using tapatalk

Ever heard of the expression: "Sometimes less is more", in this case it probably is because the more gadgetry you put on the car, the more there is to go wrong with it and more expense when it does go wrong.

The advance of modern technology is a great reason to NOT buy anything as it'll be outta date soon...

Is cylinder deactivation a Need, Want or Desire ? when you've answered that you'll know if the extra cost of the Golf/A3 is worth it.

Regards

T

A question for TheWanderer:

what 'Insulation Pad'?  Do you have a part number, please?  I asked my dealer about putting a pad on the underside of the bonnet, but they said that it wasn't tested for a TSi.  I haven't seen this in any Options Brochure.

Absolute confirmation of the capability of the 1.4 TSI engine then the DSG and now cylinder deactivation.

What next?

A question for TheWanderer:

what 'Insulation Pad'?  Do you have a part number, please?  I asked my dealer about putting a pad on the underside of the bonnet, but they said that it wasn't tested for a TSi.  I haven't seen this in any Options Brochure.

Here's what I & others are on about: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/289004-is-under-bonnet-insulation-equipped-as-standard/