AM04 Turbo Power Results

Most obvious difference is one has 8 vanes and the other 12 vanes but also the inlets are different by 1mm.

The difference is also quite obvious when comparing power output as the K03s can give around 40bhp more than the K03.

As for ffelan's comments about the K03s not existing well that's just being pedantic, yes Borg Warner don't officially call it the K03s but it's a revised version of the K03 and anybody with the slightest knowledge of the VAG 1.8T engine knows that they do exist and that they are known within the tuning market as a K03s.

Eddy, yes its pedantic but if the mfr says there is no such model then.......

As for the vanes question... Whats the difference between the turbo on an octy 4x4 and a vRS? most people think none but when my old turbo was fitted to a 4x4 it gained more punch at the expense of a little lag..... and this was a DBW 4x4 that had achieved 226hp @ jabba on its orig turbo.....

Eddy' date=' yes its pedantic but if the mfr says there is no such model then.......

As for the vanes question... Whats the difference between the turbo on an octy 4x4 and a vRS? most people think none but when my old turbo was fitted to a 4x4 it gained more punch at the expense of a little lag..... and this was a DBW 4x4 that had achieved 226hp @ jabba on its orig turbo.....[/quote']

Depends on the year of the 4x4, early DBW 4x4's were K03 later 4x4's (MY2002 on) have a K03S*.

*Disclaimer - K03S is the industry adopted name for the later type K03 but is not officially named K03S by the manufacturer.

Most obvious difference is one has 8 vanes and the other 12 vanes but also the inlets are different by 1mm.

The difference is also quite obvious when comparing power output as the K03s can give around 40bhp more than the K03.

As for ffelan's comments about the K03s not existing well that's just being pedantic' date=' yes Borg Warner don't officially call it the K03s but it's a revised version of the K03 and anybody with the slightest knowledge of the VAG 1.8T engine knows that they do exist and that they are known within the tuning market as a K03s.[/quote']

That's very interesting because sitting in front of me are 2 turbo's ones off a MY02 Octy 4x4 and the other is DaveU's old turbo. The inlet sizes are the same at 45mm, the number of fins are the same and the part No. 06A 145 713 D is the same on both both have KO3/5?. They look the same, maybe the 4x4 had the same turbo as the RS anyway. If anythink the 4x4 when mapped at Jabba showed more power than the RS, are the turbo's the same on both cars or did the 4x4 have the none 'S' turbo. :confused:

BTW both have 8 intake fins.

That's very interesting because sitting in front of me are 2 turbo's ones off a MY02 Octy 4x4 and the other is DaveU's old turbo. The inlet sizes are the same at 45mm' date=' the number of fins are the same and the part No. 06A 145 713 D is the same on both both have KO3/5?. They look the same, maybe the 4x4 had the same turbo as the RS anyway. If anythink the 4x4 when mapped at Jabba showed more power than the RS, are the turbo's the same on both cars or did the 4x4 have the none 'S' turbo. :confused:

BTW both have 8 intake fins.[/quote']

That's right as you can see in my post above. The 4x4 from MY2002 on was fitted with the K03S* the original K03 can be found on the Octavia SLXi, early Octavia 4x4's, All Mk3 Ibiza Cupra and CupraR's, nonDBW Golf 1.8T's changeover period DBW ARZ engine code Golf 1.8T's, nonDBW Audi A3 1.8T's and loads of other VAG 1.8T's.

*Disclaimer - K03S is the industry adopted name for the later type K03 but is not officially named K03S by the manufacturer.

That's right as you can see in my post above. The 4x4 from MY2002 on was fitted with the K03S* the original K03 can be found on the Octavia SLXi' date=' early Octavia 4x4's, All Mk3 Ibiza Cupra and CupraR's, nonDBW Golf 1.8T's changeover period DBW ARZ engine code Golf 1.8T's, nonDBW Audi A3 1.8T's and loads of other VAG 1.8T's.

*Disclaimer - K03S is the industry adopted name for the later type K03 but is not officially named K03S by the manufacturer.[/quote']

Which one had 12 fins as the turbo's I have have only 8. Sorry for all the questions. :o

The turbo's with 12 fins were the original K03, there are photo's on the internet somewhere of the 2 different turbo's side by side. I've seen a few of the different turbo's myself and visually the K04-001 has more in common with the original K03 than the K03S*

The 'K03s' has a larger inlet by 2-3ml, 8fins instead of 12 and a k04 impellor, The exhaust housing is also slightly larger than a K03 and the boost limits are higher also. Some also have a silencer built into the unit

*Disclaimer - K03S is the industry adopted name for the later type K03 but is not officially named K03S by the manufacturer. ;):D :P

Here's some photo's:

K03:

K03%20compressor%20inlet%20554.jpg

K03S*

k03s_in.jpg

K03S* (with silencer, as found on some 180 variants)

k03s.jpg

my MY01 4x4 by that heory should have a K03 on it but got 226bhp and 256lbft at jabba on 95 ron.

so should my car have the K03 on it then?

I've only ever read it on this forum that the 4x4 had K03 until the change to the K03S* in late 2001 on MY2002 4x4. With the figures you have I would expect to find a K03S* under the bonnet. Easy way to check is look at the TIP, K03 TIP is pressed steel, K03S* TIP is cast alloy.