Superb 4x4 DSG

I've just bought a new estate 170 4x4 DSG and mine is significantly lower than my previous 140 manual. However the car is a lot heavier of course.

Early 40s mainly but yet to go on a long trip. Only 500 miles from new so far.

You can see mine below. It's on 12000 ish miles and is DSG. My mileage is mainly city with an occasional long motorway/A road run. The car is far less economical on long runs than my previous car a Saab auto diesel convertible (regularly 46/48 mpg), overall though it is better than the Saab, which suggests it is more efficient in the city.

Although the off switch is handy (especially if you are stopped at a junction ready to move off!) the start-stop does make a difference to fuel economy and I wouldn't dismiss the system.  I don't have a 4x4 but I can certainly attest to getting better mpg versus the pre FL without the system

I have had mine for 8 months and have just gone round 23,000 miles, returning average of 44mpg including several trips towing a 1600 kg caravan. Slightly less than my 170 FWD pre facelift

Hi

Thanks for the info,What is it like to drive with the 4x4 and DSG would you recommend it over a manual also what is the steering like

Do you experience any Vibrations through it while driving

Also what is the ride like on 17 or 18" wheels

Cheers

ride is fine with 18's I'm running 19's and it's not made the ride any more crashy. 

DSG is smooth and effortless, the 4x4 transmission doesn't vibrate either. the best bit is you put your foot down and it goes without fuss! 

You get used to it so when you get back into a 2wd dsg, you (or at least I do) end up wheel spinning by mistake, not very often but it does happen because you forget! :) 

Hi

Thanks for the info,What is it like to drive with the 4x4 and DSG would you recommend it over a manual also what is the steering like

Do you experience any Vibrations through it while driving

Also what is the ride like on 17 or 18" wheels

Cheers

First of all - if you aim at 4x4, then you won't have many options to choose between DSG and manual. Out of 4x4 versions 170 Hp diesel comes only with DSG, 3.6 petrol - also with DSG only. 140 Hp diesel 4x4 comes only with manual. 1.8tsi 4x4 also with manual.

I have 170 Hp diesel 4x4 DSG

+

good acceleration (no wheel spin)

quick gear changes

handy manual shifting option on steering wheel (additional option)

tends to put too high gear when cruising (! - seems like it is improving over time, 6000 km done)

engine vibrations and idle and at low revs (! - improving during run-in period). 

Steering is good, but not ideal. Steering wheel is correctly weighted, but it is not a sporty car - it is big, you get some body roll. I have it on 17's and you can feel and hear all the potholes and road imperfections.