Logbook horror stories

Is your Dads friend that Buys and Sells a 'Trader' that has cars 'In Trade' and does the V5 that way,

when buying and selling.

Or just someone that buys and sells and not a 'Trader', just does not Register them in his name between Registered Keepers.

'Was he the Registered Keeper of the one you have bought?

Red V5's,

read section 10. 'New keeper details'.

& section 12. 'what you need to know about the V5C'

When i buy as a Private Buyer, from a Private Seller, or a 'Trader'  i do as told on the V5.

But i take an  Envelope Addressed and Stamped when going for the car,

& ask the Seller to let me do the Posting when we have both filled the parts in correctly.

Too often in the past been caught out by sellers not doing the posting in the post box.

From October when you buy a Car/Vehicle its VED stops being Valid as it changes ownership and you need 

Insurance & you need to Tax it right away.

(or declare SORN)

george

I don't get it? If you have the tear off piece of the v5c just use that to tax it at a post office, just show the mot certificate and they will issue a disc that starts from that date, you don't need to have an insurance certificate or even have to show it when buying tax from a post office. Also it makes no difference who the registered owner of a car is, you can still insure it for yourself anyway.

If the guy trades in cars he is making a meal of it.

I take it he had no Insurance on it and could not just have Taxed it before transferring it to you,

or it is just, he was not the Registered Keeper.?

What is he saying about it?

Have you got Insurance for it now ready to tax it?

I have my insurance ready, just need to ring them and tell them when I want it to start I litterAlly just need the tax, he said I just need to wait for the log book, I don't think he was the registered keeper, he waits for the log book to come back on all the cars he sells.

Is there any way in which there is no way I can get the car, like if it was bought from an auction and had no paper work or if it was a cat d or anything?

I think 99% of auctions will not sell a car with no paperwork, it's a lot of potential problems to sell a car with no paperwork

I've found the DVLA to be pretty good lately receiving mine in about a week when I purchased the car new.

I have found that the process for putting a cherished number onto a car has changed slightly.

When you dealt with a local office you would received the V948 Number Plate Authorisation Certificate and the replacement Tax Disc back first followed by the V5C some weeks later.

Now the V5C comes first followed by the V948 Number Plate Authorisation Certificate and the replacement Tax Disc.

When I enquired with the DVLA following receipt of the V5C I was told that I just needed to keep the old tax disc on display as the Police have access to the DVLA computer and can checked that the vehicle is taxed under the new registration and of course you can get new number plates made up on production of the V5C so no problem.

They pretty much keep to the timings they publish on their web site.

If the guy trades in cars he is making a meal of it.

I take it he had no Insurance on it and could not just have Taxed it before transferring it to you,

or it is just, he was not the Registered Keeper.?

What is he saying about it?

Have you got Insurance for it now ready to tax it?

you don't need insurance to tax a car.

it is also possible to apply for a new v5c fir a car, but personally I would be very wary of a newish car that has this dement missing, there could be all sorts of nasties waiting like outstanding finance etc.

All this hassle can be avoided by doing things properly. Do not buy a car without getting the green slip. Do not sell a car without sending off the V5 yourself.

Anything else is at best inconvenient and at worst will land you with massive problems.

You can get a car without green slip but can not tax it if you need to and you won't be able to prove you're the new keeper without it. You'd need to get a form and apply for the log book. Will cost approximately £25 but dvla will write to the last registered keeper first to confirm that you have a right to the vehicle

You do need insurance to tax a car. You can not tax a car without mot (if older than 3 years) and no insurance.

New rules state that if a car is not insured it's got to be sorn'd

nah, get with the times, you don't need insurance to tax a car any more. The post office stopped doing it because it made the liability thiers to check them. It changed in December 2013.

You can get a car without green slip but can not tax it if you need to and you won't be able to prove you're the new keeper without it. You'd need to get a form and apply for the log book. Will cost approximately £25 but dvla will write to the last registered keeper first to confirm that you have a right to the vehicle

It looks like this is what's happened then, I will leave it for now and if it gets nearer to the time to when I need it I will just fork out the extra money. Just a shame to know I could have had the car last week. Least I know for next time.

nah, get with the times, you don't need insurance to tax a car any more. The post office stopped doing it because it made the liability thiers to check them. It changed in December 2013.

Correct, I re-taxed my old Audi for the new owner. He had literally one hour before transferred his insurance to the car. The car was listed as not insured on the MID, he sent me the insurance certificate just in case I needed it but the post office did not even ask to see it. At the post office the V5C barcode was scanned, and I was asked how I wanted to pay and if I wanted 6 or 12 months. The only documents they wanted was the MOT and V5C.

My current Audi was taxed by the dealer before I picked the car up at a local post office without being insured, purely using the MOT and V5C. The V5C was then sent off after I collected the car 4 days later.

Try and tax a car online with no tax, it will say no! Try having a car that's taxed and not insured you will get letters telling you to either sorn it or insure it

You still have to have 'Valid Insurance' to buy VED (Tax a Car)

You just do not need to show a Valid Certificate at a Post Office.

*A dealer/trader can have insurance covering the vehicle)

The Taxing of the Vehicle does not go through unless there is 'Valid Insurance' running,

or the MID/MIB have it on the Database.

The car on the public highway without insurance is illegal anyway,

& any driver in it driving without Valid Insurance covering them to drive is illegal.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-25398499

• Like 2

The Taxing of the Vehicle does not go through unless there is Valid Insurance running,

or the MID/MIB have it on the Database

That was not my experience 2 weeks ago when I taxed my old Audi which was not showing on the MID, went straight through without having to show anything except the V5C and MOT.

Funny enough, I just just literally 5 mins ago taxed my felicia online, and it even said on dvla website that only the mot cert or psg( if applicable) is checked, it then goes on to say that it is the drivers own responsibility to ensure they are insured...

Does it really matter what you do on the odd occasion.

It is the owners or Registered Keepers requirement to check & insure they are insured,

because vehicles need to be insured.

It does not work on, Your Word is Good Enough.

But the system is going through change and is a bit mixed up and not fit for purpose.

Statements being made were, 'You do not need Insurance'.

When it is you do not need an Insurance Certificate.

Not the same thing.

I tax quite a few vehicles and have done a fair few in 2014, and know the requirements.

2 on here just keep repeating misinformation on cars not needing to have Insurance Cover.

• Like 1