pd130 vs pd150 help

Kyle_vrs

Thinking of selling my fabia and going for a bora or a leon, just wondered if the 150 was worth going for over the 130 as there seems to be alot more of the 130's about. I know they have the larger turbo and a fmic as standard but to be honest I think all I would do is a faboka remap on which ever I buy and I'm more than happy with the power of my fabia so should I look for a 130 with the kit I want or hold out and try and get a 150?

That's what I was thinking but then is it worth paying more or getting a higher mileage pd150 over a 130? With a remap there isn't going to be much I them is there?? Seen a few high line bora pd130's with full leather recaros etc that look quite nice. Can't see any external differences between the 130 sport and the 150 sport

Hi Kyle,

Not really answering your question but I owned a VW Bora sport with the 150 engine for 3 years from new.

It remains one of my favourite ever cars, quick enough; comfortable and really reliable (the only visits to the dealer were for servicing).

The " wood effect" dash is not too all tastes though ! at the time I also specced "sports" suspension so that could be something to look out for........? 

It was a bit smokey when you hoof it & for some reason I chose an odd mettallic gold colour :think: ...otherwise a great car.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

Going back a bit but I had a mate that had both engines in Golfs. He said the 130  was actually better to drive. The 150 was a bit too peaky and didn't feel that much faster. His words not mine.

A 130 + a remap to 160 might be worth thinking about.

Edited by Aspman

I don't like the wood dash I think that would have to be covered in carbon wrap. I would get the 130 mapped to what my fabia is now which I'm more than happy with just wondered if the 150 was worth getting over the 130 but it seems maybe not

Guest BigJase88

Pd150 is the one you want.

Kicks the 130's ass.

People who prefer the 130 over the 150 either didn't have the cash for the 150 or the 150 they drove was broken

Map the 150 and you have useable 190ish bhp constantly (fmic)

Map the 130 you have 170bhp half of the time (heat soak on smic)

Edited by BigJase88

Pd150 is the one you want.

Kicks the 130's ass.

People who prefer the 130 over the 150 either didn't have the cash for the 150 or the 150 they drove was broken

I've not drove a 150 its on my to do list but from having a read about them most people say the 130 drives better for some reason. They are similar price really but just not sure which to get as some of the 130's seem a better car for the money.

Would you be modding the Bora? The 150 would make a better starting point as it has an Fmic.

If it's just a price thing then there isn't really any other benefit of getting the pd150.

To be honest with the wife chelping on about the fabia I think it would be a faboka remap and some decent lowering springs and then maybe some wheels. I deffo wont be having a 0 box exhaust on or budget coilovers  :giggle:  :giggle:  I'm more than happy with the performance of mine now with the faboka map on so having a 130 wouldn't bother me as I've not had a problem with mine and having a smic, I know a fmic is better but is it really worth getting a slightly older or higher milage 150 for the sake of it having a fmic and the different turbo?? Obviously I wouldn't mind having more power but I think a newer lower milage car and the power I've got now would be fine :think: 

I can't see if you can get a sport with full or part leathers it looks like they're all cloth seats and the highlines are full leather but they've got a shoddy steering wheel and wheels etc  :(

Guest BigJase88

Id personally go for the pd150.

I have had 3 pd130's and the pd150.

Pd150 has out of the box what you want to do for a pd130 (remap) so to me keep a standard pd150 that way you keep reliability and have the power you desire

Id personally go for the pd150.

I have had 3 pd130's and the pd150.

Pd150 has out of the box what you want to do for a pd130 (remap) so to me keep a standard pd150 that way you keep reliability and have the power you desire

How did you rate the 150 to drive against the 130? Is there much difference or cant you really tell? I must admit the 150 does appeal to me for the reasons you've said above I'm just thinking id like a newer lower milage car for the same money type thing

Looks like you've sold the pd130 to yourself, especially if the interior is better :)

I don't want to sell the fabia really but now I've started looking at boras I do fancy one

Guest BigJase88

How did you rate the 150 to drive against the 130? Is there much difference or cant you really tell? I must admit the 150 does appeal to me for the reasons you've said above I'm just thinking id like a newer lower milage car for the same money type thing

Pd130 feels pokier around town as it has a smaller turbo on it. So gives the false impression of power.

Pd150 feels slower around town but comes to life when you open it up. The 150 revs straight through pulling hard to nearly 5k rpm. Wheres after 4k the little 130 is running out of puff.

Heres a simple remap on my pd150 (no other mods)

4C167F51-AFBA-4934-AABC-46383E590DB6-416

Whereas on the same rolling road my pd130 remapped made 173bhp. So your looking 20-25bhp extra on the 130 both mapped

Pd130 feels pokier around town as it has a smaller turbo on it. So gives the false impression of power.

Pd150 feels slower around town but comes to life when you open it up. The 150 revs straight through pulling hard to nearly 5k rpm. Wheres after 4k the little 130 is running out of puff.

Heres a simple remap on my pd150 (no other mods)

4C167F51-AFBA-4934-AABC-46383E590DB6-416

Whereas on the same rolling road my pd130 remapped made 173bhp. So your looking 20-25bhp extra on the 130 both mapped

That makes sense. Will the clutch cope with that much torque on the remapped 150?

Guest BigJase88

That makes sense. Will the clutch cope with that much torque on the remapped 150?

Well my standard clutch was on 113k (pd150) and it was fine.

And my mapped fabia vrs blew its clutch at 33k miles.

So theres no rules or logic to lifespan