Anyone using an OBD2 reader in their Superb II ?

I'd like to have realtime display and error code reading from an OBD2 bluetooth dongle to my Android phone.

Anyone using one ?

Any recomendations ?

Chris

Edited by L200man

Yes, I use a £7 Bluetooth one off eBay with the Torque app - works brilliantly with all the cars I use it on :)

Edit - like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Interface-V1-5-ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-Diagnose-Bluetooth-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-/310722531793?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item48588191d1

Though you can get smaller ones now which would be better in a superb due to where the port is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-ELM327-v1-5-OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-Adapter-Auto-Scanner-TORQUE-ANDROID-/121255482243?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c3b63d383

Edited by dobbey

I've got one of the mini ones and it works very well, use it with Torque and a few other apps on a HTC One. The "realtime" display can lag a little.

A very small amount (it is going through Bluetooth after all) but it's not really an issue. Its not really lag, more of a delay time, so it is consistent for doing 0-60runs and the like

Any recommendations for one if you Got an iphone ?

If you want one that works without any lag and that also supports iPhone/iPad you need to spend a bit more a buy a OBDLinx MX....

http://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/obdlink-mx-wifi-wireless-diagnostic-tool-for-iphone-ipad-etc-pre-order-318-p.asp

Fortunately, they've come down in price, when I bought mine early last year they were £150!

I have one of these.

But, you can by a "China-VCDS cable" for just under 20$ including shipping - and that works so much better.

I saw that mention within the Torque app - is it worth the extra £120 ? 

Chris

The bluetooth version, LX is £72, the MX wifi version is £99

If you want instantaneous readings like dashboard and rev counter etc. then yes. Also it automatically goes to sleep, so can be plugged into OBD2 port permanently, again if you want that. Lastly, it works with no issues. Not always the way with the cheaper versions

For me, even when it was the higher price it wasn't worth buying the cheaper ones as I wanted it to be reliable, have no lag and it being UK supplied with 2 year warranty help to sway it too.

I just wanted to play with it and see what these units are like and the apps. If someone wants to use it often, then I would recommend spending the extra £30-40 going for scan tools one.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

For me, even when it was the higher price it wasn't worth buying the cheaper ones as I wanted it to be reliable, have no lag and it being UK supplied with 2 year warranty help to sway it too.

I'll second this: Having gone through a pair of "no-name" OBD2 adapters off eBay, I bit the bullet and went for the ScanTool version.  It just works.  It plays very nicely with Torque, using the maximum symbol throughput as well as the battery-saving mode so that it can be plugged in permanently.

Wow... can't believe how much the prices have come down.  At least if my wife looks it up, now, I'm likely to survive :angel:

m.

Does anybody know if you can connect bluetooth to the Scantool and the cars handsfree system at the same time

Yes, this is no problem.  My phone is usually connected to the handsfree using rSAP, as an A2DP media player and to the Scantool all at the same time.

HTH,

m.

Does anybody know if you can connect bluetooth to the Scantool and the cars handsfree system at the same time

Depends on your phone. It needs to be able to hold more than one simultaneous bluetooth connection.

Michael

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

Depends on your phone. It needs to be able to hold more than one simultaneous bluetooth connection.

Michael

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

I too have a Note 3

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys,

Has anyone used an OBD 2 wifi adapter that works with both iPhone and Android (Nexus 7 in particular)? Please let me know the device name.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, I stream music via bluetooth connection to Columbus while using this in parallel to read OBD data.

I'd like to have realtime display and error code reading from an OBD2 bluetooth dongle to my Android phone.

Anyone using one ?

Any recomendations ?

Chris

Ultrascan is available from their website for £67 delivered.

I ordered mine on Friday evening and it was with me by the following Tuesday.

Great piece of kit.