Yeti - Tiguan

lfc958

Oops. I had a grey moment.... Lost "only" 12k! Still a big ouch. Cost £30 ish.... With lots of options!

I got p155ed off with it being off the road for THREE replacement sunroof subframes and needing a FOURTH I reckoned there must be stress issues on the vehicle so that's why it had to go.

I think the price drop is because of the new model being imminent.

Looking at the positive.... I got the same as I was offered in August.

• 3 months later...

Drove Tiguan,Subaru Forrester, Holden Captiva, + others in Australia,

My beloved "Snowman" just felt so right as soon as I drove it  15 Km.

+++ Accessories  Standard, made the others look """CHEAP"""""

The "classic" quality test is if the interior grab handles have dampening.   :p

I was surprised to get in a mk1 Yeti 170 a few weeks ago, to find that it hadn't got dampening!?

What, the grab handles aren't damped!!!!!!!!!! I'm taking my car back. :D

A fair point, I just like Skoda for the very fact that your getting VAG engineering to some degree whether it be old or new technology.  I thought that's why we all like Skoda, for the function at a not so heavily branded cost?

Yep, that's exactly why I got one.

Whilst I felt that the "cheap plastics" comment was a bit harsh I know what you mean. But I have to say that when sitting in a Yeti for the first time, having been used to VW and Audi, I was pleasantly surprised and liked it a lot.

Now that I've owned one for a few weeks, I do notice sometimes that the quality is below VW and Audi, but what do you expect and I know what I was getting into. As well as the interior, I find the gear change (whilst light and precise) a little lacking in quality, though it's hard to explain why, it just doesn't have a quality feel to it.

But the doors shut with a satisfying clunk and the paint is very nice and along with the aforementioned VAG engineering I think Skoda have got it right for the price.

As I said in an earlier posting I had a Tig for 18 months and have had the Yeti for five months now and covered just over 6000 miles.

Both cars were bought new and had/ have the 140 bhp TDi engine with DSG (Tig with a 7 speed box and the Yeti with, for some reason a 6 speeder). I like both vehicles but there are positives and negatives for each one.

Tig.. I liked the extra boot space. Also VW put a roll of rubber at the bottom of the doors as an extra seal which keep the sills clean.

Yeti.. Greater economy & performance due to weight loss, removable rear seats, turning circle, magic headlamps, better reverse camera screen & visibility ( I can even see the edge of my number plate! ). Also we prefer the "real" handbrake as manoeuvrability is straightforward rather than having to disable the electronic auto hold on the Tig.

I have read comments about the quality of the leather. When I ordered my Yeti I agreed with the comment but was pleasantly surprised when mine arrived five months ago when the leather didn't seem to be such a patchwork as I saw on the demo vehicle.

Both are excellent vehicles and it really is up to your individual requirements.

My main concern on the Yeti is the number of posts re Zinc inclusion on the doors, which I will watch very carefully AND SWMBO cannot see the speedo to remind me how fast the Yeti can go!

• Like 1