Trumping noise

Hello again. (4x4 octavia turbo) Ok so I've changed the 'Y' shaped hose, changed the oil and filter and changed the spark plugs for the NGK ones. They are gapped at 0.28. The car now makes a trumping noise and backs off when boost builds. What have a done? I did undo a few hoses to get the y hose in but did them all up. Is it something to do with my sparks?? Oh and the eml flashes sometimes when it holds back.

Edited by scaifey

Doubt it'll be plug issue causing a "trumping" noise, more likely a boost or vacuum leak.

Plugs gapped to 0.28, I take it your car is mapped then?

Edited by pauldazzle

Id regap them to 0.32 and try again, just in case... esp if your not sure about it being mapped...

+1

Would first stick to std gap of 0.32 or 0.8mm. Then reduce if not running right. The noise is likely to be a hose you have either disturbed or split or forgot to tighten up as easy done have a good re check.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Just to add the car will rev freely to the red line out of gear standing still and only does this under load

Edited by scaifey

Tried the sparks and gapped to 0.8 mm but the car is still the same. It revs freely stood still but under load struggles under hard acceleration. Not so much a trumping noise. Feels like the car isn't letting itself accelerate freely. Like a soft thud but lots in a very quick succession and holds back. Checked hoses as best I could and they all seem ok.

Could be the seal leaking in the diverter valve.

Have you had a diagnostic done?,  as the EML light coming on should have caused the ECU to store a fault code.

Not had diagnostic done. Eml light is on. Flashed once whilst trying to accelerate. Where is the diverter valve and what does it do?

Edited by scaifey

Ok had diagnostics done. Engine misfiring on all 4 cylinders and problem with DV. My friend at the garage said all 4 coil packs are probably to blame as I disconnected them. The DV is due to the misfiring so not a problem there. I've phoned skoda in morecombe and my car is booked in to have all 4 coil packs changed under recall as my car hasn't been done. The garage said if the management light is on due to the coil packs it'll all be done free of charge. So if all goes well then happy days. Just got to get to the garage without breaking down! Will let you know how I get on with the dealer at the weekend!

Ok had diagnostics done. Engine misfiring on all 4 cylinders and problem with DV. My friend at the garage said all 4 coil packs are probably to blame as I disconnected them. The DV is due to the misfiring so not a problem there. I've phoned skoda in morecombe and my car is booked in to have all 4 coil packs changed under recall as my car hasn't been done. The garage said if the management light is on due to the coil packs it'll all be done free of charge. So if all goes well then happy days. Just got to get to the garage without breaking down! Will let you know how I get on with the dealer at the weekend!

DV problem will not be due to the misfire.

Dump valve (DV) it said on the diagnostics. Guy at garage said it'll flag up due to the misfire as the turbo still builds up boost?

Edited by scaifey

Dump valve (DV) it said on the diagnostics. Guy at garage said it'll flag up due to the misfire as the turbo still builds up boost?

He's wrong IMO. My guess is you have code 17705 (check DV).

Not sure. He cleared the light and nothing has come back yet. Still won't pick up. I'll get the coil packs changed at skoda and see how I get on after that. Will post at the weekend the results!! Thanks for all your help so far.

Coil packs replaced free of charge by skoda morecombe. Happy customer there. Management light came back on driving home though. So I'll get the DV checked out at a local garage and replaced if needs be. Car still idles a bit funny. Will give it all a good clean out.