Off Road 4x4

HotRod

Thanks for all the positive comments - Does anyone still do 4x4ing here? Seems to be an awful lot of people with "good memories".  Can I ask why you stopped?

I stopped because I'd kind of been there, done that and wanted to move on to something different.

Over about 7 years I went from Greenlaning to trials to winch challenge events, did a drive across the Sahara and had everything from a basic defender to a portal axled challenge beast to an original Camel Trophy vehicle.

I just got a bit fed up of being out so often and wanted to try something different.

So I started doing track days instead.

In short, I tend to get a bit enthusiastic when I do something and it became a bit serious, with events becoming like an arms race.  So the novelty wore off.

Some of my pics...

My red 90, with it's portal axle replacement.

two90ssm.jpg

On an event in Devon.

oct7chall2sm.jpg

My son is nearly 5, it's something I can see myself getting back into when he is older.

But on a recreational basis, not a competitive one.

• Like 1

Is TYRO only for Rover? Seems all of those in the video are Land . Range Rovers - I wouldn't want to turn up and be the only bloody Jeep :(

I was the only one that ever turned up for green laning in a Jimny, the same as the geezer in the Toyota HiLux, and the other one in the Frontera, and not forgetting the fantastci lonesome Lada! :kiss:

One guy I saw regularly was using the older Cherokee btw. Virtually standard apart from the tyres.

Recreational, not competitive are the keys words as the Boss one sez ^^^

Edited by Mr Ree

A lot of clubs will welcome anyone.

When I did TYPO/RTV trials if someone turned up in an SJ or jeep it's another person taking part to help share the cost.

Contact your local club, they'll probably be happy for you to go along and try it.

It seems mostly Land Rovers because there are lot of them around so they have a bigger club scene.

Treat yourself to a one day off roading leisure training course too btw to learn the basic do's and dont's, and before going on a green laning day, ask the leader of the pack just how difficult the route is, as you wouldn't really be wanting to end up with stuff like the Boss has posted pictures of in a virtually standard Cherokee.......well not on your first trip anyway! :D

Edited by Mr Ree

With 4x4 clubs,

usually one make Land Rover Clubs or the likes still makes a welcome to anyone.

(some events that are for a series might excluded non LR for points, 

but encourage you to still take part, join in and have fun.)

With TYRO's the Suzuki's did the route so easily without any penalties that Land Rovers could have 2 'Shunts' while a Suzuki was allowed only 1 or none.

That is tries at getting through a Gate, (2 Canes) with out doing a Stop-reverse to clear the canes.

Get 2 front wheels through the gate.

The beauty of the Jeep,

& a Jeep Auto on Gas is cheap running and people can join you in comfort,

which is not true with all Suzukis, or even Land Rovers.

A Jeep on Petrol not so cheap, but not much more than many other offroaders, & still nice and comfy.

(you need to be sure it is a good starter after sitting for a while, a good strong battery sorts that,

but good at starting and changing to gas is important if you have a LPG one.)

'Pay & Plays' on Public days and even Club Bookings need chosen with care,

but now most are sorted out from the Anti Social Behaviour.

You need to take care and drive only as you are comfortable and not get caught up in the moment.

Green Lanes are Public Highways and all use requires legal Vehicles and sensible non damaging use of the route.

Scotland has no Green Lanes,

but does have Vehicular Rights of way, not challenging in good weather,

& like in England & Wales, these are peoples routes for getting to their homes & to work.

It is a good idea to look at local Clubs.

This can provide 3rd Party Insurance as a participant, Marshall, organiser etc, and mostly that will be MSA Affiliated Clubs.

Doing Treasure Hunts, Tyros, Challanges, Open Day.Promotion Events etc.

Remember Consent Forms & Disclaimers are not worth the paper they are written on.

Be sure you are insured for the Road, and Proper Off Road Cover for Off Road, 3rd Party Cover,

Thats to protect against accidents you might cause or claims against you or damage.

We are all responsible for our actions, some events and locations have nutters around that could not care less,

Worth a Day or half days training, then learn more from there on,

Safe Recovery Techniques etc.

Its about fun, but safe fun.  What you drive does not matter, but a Jeep is a good place to start. IMO.

george

• Like 2

Wot he said ^^^^^.....but .far more detailed and eloquently then me though. :blush:

Don't get sucked in by the gung ho idiotic types that follow the sport, and there are many of them around unfortunately.

I'm 100% sure you wouldn't though, as you're asking questions...they don't because you see, they know it all already....apparently, so they reckon....so it says on their headstones. :think:

Edited by Mr Ree

Thanks for all the positive comments - Does anyone still do 4x4ing here? Seems to be an awful lot of people with "good memories".  Can I ask why you stopped?

Well, the thing with off roading a Panda is, they're absolutely brilliant, unless you slow down, then you're ****ed. I swear I used to go over bogs without even breaking the surface of the water.

One day, confronted with a long steep climb and a "real" 4x4 slowly crawling up it, I went a little "off piste" and overtook him. He got distracted, stalled it, and generally made a balls up of it. I got to the top, pulled it sideways and did a point and laugh at him.  :hi:

At which point, we were asked to leave the course, and not return. 

Shortly afterwards, they banned Fiat Pandas from the course. 

• Like 1

Plus a winch isn't necessary - just get a couple of guys in each of the corners and pick it up out of the mud :)

• Like 2

Not seen that done, but a lad I knew put one on it's side, calmly climbed out the passenger door and rolled it back onto it's wheels by himself and carried on - bet you can't do that with a Range Rover! :)

Edited by StevesTruck

• 7 years later...