Looking for a NAS solution

kilted

It doesnt matter if it is out of date as long as it can do the job, 90% of the NAS's job is done by the network card, so the NAS doesnt need much of a CPU set-up; if you look at a NAS spec sheet you will usually find the CPU is running at something like 250MHz, so using an old 1.5GHz Winbox is not going to slow anything down.

I also disagree, If you have drives running at a very slow RPM it really doesn't matter how quick the NIC card is - It is just as quick as the drives.

Sorry, I just had a fresh look - the prices have plunged since I last looked a couple of years ago, and a LOT more companies seem to be offering them; however I would go for at least an 8 port switch, and more if you plan on having TV/console set-ups in more than one room..

Show me a HDD (other than a budget 2.5" laptop drive), produced in the last 5 years that cannot keep up with a Gigabit port? You are assuming I am suggesting using MFM drives??

nose bleed time!!, So basically I need RAID 1 to give protection against a hard disk failure?

R1 drives tend to fail shortly after each other and the second can die mid rebuild.

So I would suggest backups.

if that isn't something you can do then sometimes or a newer drive and a slightly older drive if performance isn't an issue or drives from 2 manufacturers

R1 drives tend to fail shortly after each other and the second can die mid rebuild.

So I would suggest backups.

if that isn't something you can do then sometimes or a newer drive and a slightly older drive if performance isn't an issue or drives from 2 manufacturers

If you go for a "proper" NAS, check disk compatibility, Icybox had BIG problems with their early NAS boxes bjorking the HDDs and/or losing all the data on them - it happened to me with a drive that wasnt on their "Dont Use" list!!

Also check the manual about mix and matching drives, so dont like it and insist on 2 drives of the same make and capacity.

BTW, anyone thinking of dipping their toes with a cheap NAS.... DONT TOUCH ICYBOX - what a steaming heap of cow dung they are.

If you go for a "proper" NAS, check disk compatibility, Icybox had BIG problems with their early NAS boxes bjorking the HDDs and/or losing all the data on them - it happened to me with a drive that wasnt on their "Dont Use" list!!

Also check the manual about mix and matching drives, so dont like it and insist on 2 drives of the same make and capacity.

BTW, anyone thinking of dipping their toes with a cheap NAS.... DONT TOUCH ICYBOX - what a steaming heap of cow dung they are.

My advice goes for any set up.

R1 hard drives tend to be next to each other.

That means same temperatures, same vibrations, same power source and noise/fluctuations, same start/stop cycles. These are the things that slowly kills a drive, so in R1, if one goes, the other is likely to be not too far behind.

well, ended up being a cheapsake and buying a WD MyClould.  Easy to set up but took hours to transfer my stuff across via wifi.  Then I discovered the USB port .  Aaaargh RTFM..........

• Like 1

I highly recommend Synology NAS products. I have a DS414 with 2 * 3TB WD Reds and an older 2TB and 1TB drive. It has a hybrid RAID which lets you mix drive sizes, hot swap drives and is powerful enough to run cloud sharing over the internet and torrent downloading, with dual Ethernet ports.

Best of all, it just works and doesn't need any fiddling with.

Edited by pixor
  • Like 1

Question.:

I installed Polkast the other day on my Zyxel nsa325.
Since them my transfer speeds have dropped from 10m to 4m.
Also my cpu is running at 100% constantly.
It is showing Polkast as using around 88% of this.
Can I uninstall polkast as I dont really need it.
Thanks

Question.:

I installed Polkast the other day on my Zyxel nsa325.

Since them my transfer speeds have dropped from 10m to 4m.

Also my cpu is running at 100% constantly.

It is showing Polkast as using around 88% of this.

Can I uninstall polkast as I dont really need it.

Thanks

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=9927

Seems it's being busy for you. I haven't read it all, nor the link to PolKast about 4/5ths down.

• Like 1

well, ended up being a cheapsake and buying a WD MyClould.  Easy to set up but took hours to transfer my stuff across via wifi.  Then I discovered the USB port .  Aaaargh RTFM..........

Hi Slider, I've been looking getting this too!

Could you post an update in a month or so ,just to let us know what it like to live with :happy:

Cheers

Edited by RazeVRS

I highly recommend Synology NAS products. I have a DS414 with 2 * 3TB WD Reds and an older 2TB and 1TB drive. It has a hybrid RAID which lets you mix drive sizes, hot swap drives and is powerful enough to run cloud sharing over the internet and torrent downloading, with dual Ethernet ports.

Best of all, it just works and doesn't need any fiddling with.

Synology stuff is very good - have set it up for clients and works well, good interface and very flexible. Bit more expensive than the Zyxel range though you get what you pay for. I have a Zyxel nsa 221 at home - cheap and has been generally fine, transfers aren't quick as I'd like but usable, though drive specs don't help (WD Green). As pixor says, would recommend something like the recent WD Red range as it's designed for high availability and has a longer warranty.

Hi Slider, I've been looking getting this too!

Could you post an update in a month or so ,just to let us know what it like to live with :happy:

Cheers

will try to remember! but one week in I am very pleased with the MyPassport.  have all my data on it now and access from any connect device has proved effortless so far - Win 7 desktop, Win 8.1 laptop, Nexux 7 and HTC phone.

Haven't tried streaming videos get but music is a breeze.

will try to remember! but one week in I am very pleased with the MyPassport.  have all my data on it now and access from any connect device has proved effortless so far - Win 7 desktop, Win 8.1 laptop, Nexux 7 and HTC phone.

Haven't tried streaming videos get but music is a breeze.

Like the sound of this as you have pretty much the exact devices as I have so I am definitely interested in your long term thoughts as well.

It would also work well when (if I manage to talk SWMBO into it) I manage to either buy a smart TV or set top box etc

Ended up yesterday going for a WD My cloud - took a while to get the data on board (no USB lead available so had to rely  on WIFI).

Works pretty well so far with content available on my Galaxy s4 now

• Like 1