vRS MK2 ENGINE REPLACEMENT: ARE ALL CUSTOMERS GETTING CONSISTENT TREATMENT FROM Skoda UK andDealersips

See my general comments placed on CAVE-CTHE replacement thread today.

Hope that helps in some small way.

The comments outline my package achieved,BUT IT WAS LIKE PULLING HENS TEETH.

Oh! Forgot to mention that the Cat was visually inspected by dealer / garage after I was requesting a new one. Considered to be okay-no photographic evidence or otherwise to support that, not sure if inspection probed used (I doubt that) or just shone the torch both ends?

At least any new owner will be saved the hassle now , of the new engine issues and has a degree of protections.  :think:

• Like 1

Good to hear its all sorted,

and what car she is now replacing it with.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

There are only around 1,800 CAVE engine vRS Twnchargers

& around 1000 CTHE engine ones in the UK, (another 3,000 or so from VW, Seat & Audi.)

lets hope if Skoda/VW really believe the problem is blown out of proportion on the Internet,

they can just get on and deal with what they think is only a small proportion that are faulty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the one I had was on its 3rd engine from new and was ultimately the reason I got shut after only 9 months. Bickertons who I bought it off were very reasonable through out

• Like 1

My car went in for engine replacement last night should get it back end of week.

It a full engine I'm having but a reconditioned with all new CTHE parts in it. The dealer showed me the engine and it comes with new water pump and spark plugs with it. Also I will get new filters.

Mine is being replaced under extended warranty so I don't know if that is why I'm getting the spark plugs etc with it compared to other members who haven't or have had ask about them.

Also the cat is being checked over by my dealer as it's part of the job they told me.

Edited by Andy2509
  • Like 2

Andy,

That's good new s for you.

Have you requested a further extension on the warranty ,as I got another 12months as well as RAC Breakdown cover.

My car went in for engine replacement last night should get it back end of week.

It a full engine I'm having but a reconditioned with all new CTHE parts in it. The dealer showed me the engine and it comes with new water pump and spark plugs with it. Also I will get new filters.

Mine is being replaced under extended warranty so I don't know if that is why I'm getting the spark plugs etc with it compared to other members who haven't or have had ask about them.

Also the cat is being checked over by my dealer as it's part of the job they told me.

Andy, what result did you get on your oil consumption test to prompt the engine swap?

Thanks

R4z

Keith, ive been told by SUK I will get a refund for oil I've put in and also they will sort a gesture of good will for me so I will push for extra warranty.

R4z it been a on going thing but the last test after a breather mod and ecu update it used 1 and half litre in 900 mile.

• Like 1

R4z3rry,  

are they saying yours is within tolerance,

less than 0.5 litres for 621 miles?

Just re-read your post from the 1st April on the Oil Usage.

In the Paying for an Oil Consumption Test, thread.

They are having a laugh if they think high oil usage is acceptable 

and their inaccurate testing shows acceptable oil consumption.

R4z,

Mine was using 0.3 litre every 621 mile originally after the breather mod which they said was acceptable but after a month I noticed it got worst to the point of it using the one and half litres in 900 mile.

Keep a eye on it as if it anything like mine was it will get worse.

Edited by Andy2509
  • Like 3

Mine is a 13 plate CTHE and has used oil reasonably consistently at 1.25l every 3200km, however since a recent service it has started using more to the point where I am now keeping a written record of every time I put oil in, most recently it is around their figure of 0.5l per 1000km. It has already had a consumption test in which they stated it was using 125ml per 1000km (judging by the amount of oil I had poured in to that point and since, that was impossible).

This is still ongoing with Skoda UK as I will not let it lie.

Edited by R4zb3rry
  • Like 1

Since we are in the UK and should speak Metric, its a bit odd,

so 1/2 a litre every 621 miles they say might be expected, (That is VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi)

so near enough 1 litre every 1,200 miles.

But they introduced the CTHE engine, and you have that.

Ask them to fill the Oil to the correct amount, & seal the Filler Cap & the Dip Stick in,

and then you drive 1,200 miles,

or until the Warning Message/light shows.

Just ask the Dealer to cut the crap and see if you have a Badly Built Engine.

• Like 2

Currently doing that exact thing myself, filled to the correct amount and will run it until the oil light comes on as it takes between 1-1.25l to bring it back to the correct level, with the mileage I do this will not take long. If this is consistent with the oil use I have had most recently then it barely do 1200-1400 miles in which case I will be instructing skoda UK to sort it or take it back as inherently faulty.

Edited by R4zb3rry

Are you sure that 1.25 litres has it back to the correct level.?

Some have required 1.5 - 2 litres to get the correct quantity of oil in,

and they never had a Low Oil or Warning message showing.

*But be sure not to Overfill, rather a bit low rather than too much in,

but it would be good to know you start with 3.6 litres in.*

??

If you dip it with the Oil Stone Cold & the car on the flat,

where does the oil show on the dipstick?

I know people have different opinions on this, but mine uses 700ml per 1000 miles and I deem that to be ok. When the dipstick goes to the bottom of the hatched area, I top it up to 3/4 the way up, measuring exactly what I put in.

The important thing is to make sure you don't over fill it. I strongly believe this is causing the majority of engine failures.

Still no development on my case, as you know im using 2.9 litres/1000 miles.

The lady on the phone try discussing a good will gesture but asked how much I'd pay to which I basically told her to screw herself. they requested a copy of service history which I sent on the 5th May. I was told i'd get a reply by the 7th, come the 9th still heard nothing so gave them a ring and they said they'd ring me on monday after I firmly told them what I think of thier empty promises. Come yesterday (13th) and they called. However, This wasn't to tell me their decision but to tell me that they'd ring me tomorrow to tell me their decision! I will be expecting a good will gesture from this and i'll throw up a fuss until I get one! any Ideas?

The woman dealing with my case has next to no sympathy at all. She's banging on about ECU updates and breather mods and that they wanna check for any 'Modifications' as well as asking whether I'd be fine with a dealer driving my car 600 or so miles as different people have different drivng styles to which I again told her where to go. It seems skoda are going nowhere with my case and im expecting them to ring me today telling me 'hey ho, can't help ya'. I'll let you know.

<snip> I basically told [the lady on the phone] to screw herself <snip>

<snip>I again told her where to go <snip>

<snip> The woman dealing with my case has next to no sympathy at all. <snip>

<snip> they wanna check for any 'Modifications' <snip>

<snip> asking whether I'd be fine with a dealer driving my car 600 or so miles as different people have different driving styles <snip>.

1. Your negotiating strategy isn't likely to result in sympathy from anyone on the end of the line.
  2. Skoda not unreasonably want to determine whether you have had any part to play in the problems with your car - i.e. operating it outside of its design parameters and/or driving it as if you stole it. If that is not the case, answer their questions honestly and go along with their suggestion - you might actually get somewhere - good luck.

Alternatively, you could pay for a solicitor to deal with Skoda?

Edited by vxh26

vhx26,

What are the Design Parameters for a 1390 cc Dual Charged Minimum 180 PS car sold by Skoda.?

You need to adhere to the Manufacturers Maintenance-Service Schedules/Guidlines

and be aware of Exclusions in the Manufacturers Warranty, Warning Lights, Fluids etc.

Then Motorsport Events use can be a reason for them to Void a Warranty..

That Includes Track Days.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

*Exclusions, Page 6*

daz1412,

The Dealership does not have to drive the car for the 'Oil Consumption test',   be that 300 km (186 miles) or the 1000 km test (621 miles)

So what is necessary is to deal with someone from the Technical Section with Technical Knowledge.

Or the likes of Tom Chadwick or Dan Wilson that are dealing with quite a few vRS owners.

If you are making a Warranty Claim., Skoda have the right to check the ECU to see if there has been a Remap Done and the likes.

See that servicing has been done to the Service Schedule by VAT Registered Garages using OEM parts.

But then before selling a Used Car, Skoda Dealerships often or mostly never Check Cars & Put back to Factory Setting things on the ECU,

or check for Remaps, 

often they never do the latest ECU Update before selling a car.

?? Where did you buy the car,

What Warranty covers the car?

george

• Like 1

Still no development on my case, as you know im using 2.9 litres/1000 miles.

The lady on the phone try discussing a good will gesture but asked how much I'd pay to which I basically told her to screw herself. they requested a copy of service history which I sent on the 5th May. I was told i'd get a reply by the 7th, come the 9th still heard nothing so gave them a ring and they said they'd ring me on monday after I firmly told them what I think of thier empty promises. Come yesterday (13th) and they called. However, This wasn't to tell me their decision but to tell me that they'd ring me tomorrow to tell me their decision! I will be expecting a good will gesture from this and i'll throw up a fuss until I get one! any Ideas?

The woman dealing with my case has next to no sympathy at all. She's banging on about ECU updates and breather mods and that they wanna check for any 'Modifications' as well as asking whether I'd be fine with a dealer driving my car 600 or so miles as different people have different drivng styles to which I again told her where to go. It seems skoda are going nowhere with my case and im expecting them to ring me today telling me 'hey ho, can't help ya'. I'll let you know.

daz,

Ranting and raving at a non-technical admin clerk will not help your cause. Even though I fully appreciated your immense frustration at getting little or no satisfactions.

A few of us have been there and worn and continue to wear the T Shirt on other issues mate.

However, my main advice is to insist that they e-mail you against the case number the point discussed and action agreed to the taken. you also need to follow up at all time via the CaseNo  system and tell that that you are building up a total case history which may be used later as legal evidence should you take legal actions.

You must document at all times and send copy to them.

However, you now need to escalate beyond this admin level and write to Tom Chadwick or the other gentleman at his level and copy this to Mr Alasdair Stewart The Brand Director  Skoda UK - their Boss with a full history to date

I know it's frustrating and takes time but in my view it's the only way.

If you act aggressively, then people get suspicious ,hence they may take the view that you are hiding something. i.e cars been tuned etc...... 

However and oil consumption test is a prescribed thing by Skoda/ VAG, if it fails you have a case ,provided car meets all standard spec under normal warranty conditions.

I have a 2011 with 25000 and recently had a oil consumption test and turned out I used 0.22 per 1000 miles they didnt charge for the test and said theyd do the  breather mod and ecu update as a gd will gesture.so we will c how much oil it consume s and those! I checked my oil level hot and cold and both were under the dipstick!  And no oil light came on!

• Like 1

I have a 2011 with 25000 and recently had a oil consumption test and turned out I used 0.22 per 1000 miles they didnt charge for the test and said theyd do the  breather mod and ecu update as a gd will gesture.so we will c how much oil it consume s and those! I checked my oil level hot and cold and both were under the dipstick!  And no oil light came on!

0.22 per 1000 miles is OK (if that is litres)

I'm currently using 0.5 L per 1000 miles on a replacement engine

Which is approx. 0.3 L per 1000 km

(handbook limit is 0.5 L per 1000 km)

I was consuming on average 0.85 litres per 1000 km before my engine was replaced. The oil breather mod and ecu update didn't help in my case.

The Hand Book 'limit' has never meant anything and is not Binding.

Their Technical Figures are not Binding, no matter how much they try on that they are.

No Dealer Points out possible Oil Use Figures, when you go in to buy a car.

like they have Emission & Economy Charts on the Wall.

* A Sign saying, 'Any vehicle purchased may require 1 litre of oil for every 3 tanks of fuel'.*

If you cover 10,000 miles a year you may need to buy 8-9 litres of oil between services,

They do not even say the Prescribed Fuel is 98 ron, 95 Minimum.

The Owners manuals cover engines that are 3-4 cylinder, petrol and diesel of all power outputs.

It is not a Legally Binding Document that lets Skoda/VW leave Customers with Faulty Engines.

Their Owners manuals say when Higher Oil use might be expected.

While Driving a car to the shops or commuting is not mentioned.

VW/Skoda know they built engines between 2009-2012 that might fail & many have and are,

They revised the Engine Components & Engine Management in 2012.

& even some of those failed.

The Manufacturer knows, it is Design, Manufacturing or Workmanship Faults.

You just need to hold them to yout Consumer rights that you have in the UK/EU,

They are a EU Car & Engine Manufacturers.

They Built some Lemons, they need to do the right thing.

None of their other Engines fail at the rate these do.