Roof Rack Option for MK1 Estate without roof rails

Hi folks,

Collected my first Skoda today.  1.9TDI SLX (1999) Estate with only 40,000 on the clock. Had a great drive home over 100 miles when collecting it and it runs really nicely so very pleased with purchase.

Have a query over roof rack options.

It has no roof rails. I'm assuming the black strips running the length of the roof are simply gutter mouldings and have not purpose for roof racks? Or Do they hide fixing points on the Octavia's as well?

All previous cars (Astra's) have had roof rails so bit in the dark here.

Any advice would be ace.

Cheers, Duncan

Edited by wideblueyonder

• 1 year later...

My Octy 1 ambiente estate has unbroken infill strips and according to Skoda's parts fiche the infill strips are different for roof rail and non roof rail models.  The mounting holes are still there underneath the infill strips.

Regards, Mike

• Like 1

Which means that if I order strips with tabs and replace the non-tab strips, will I be able to use bars for fixpoint?

My estate has no tabs either...

A couple of definitions for clarity:

- roof rails run front to back and are usually factory fitted (although they can be retrofitted with the right bits)

- roof bars fit to the roof rails crossways OR are mounted crossways to a car without roof rails

The holes in the roof are for Skoda factory-fitted roof rails as fitted to the higher trim models such as the L&K variant. You will need some roof rails as well as the inserts, and then you'll need some roof bars to fit to the rails.

I'm currently trying to find out if I can modify the non-roofrail inserts to allow for retrofitted roofrails.

Try a search in this forum section for roof rails - there is a post which identifies roof bar suppliers (not Thule) that supply bars to fit.

Regards, Mike

Thanks for the info, I'll do some search. I actually have roof bars, the ones that grip the underside of the door openings. But as I install-uninstall them occasionally, I want to save some time and avoid damaging the car paint... That is why I want to install the fixpoint ones. Or if possible, install roof rails and then bars on the roof rails. 

Thanks for the info, I'll do some search. I actually have roof bars, the ones that grip the underside of the door openings. But as I install-uninstall them occasionally, I want to save some time and avoid damaging the car paint... That is why I want to install the fixpoint ones. Or if possible, install roof rails and then bars on the roof rails.

I know it is possible - if a bit fiddly - to retrofit roof rails and you may have seen my post today looking for more information.

For now, I'd suggest you start to look for some roof rails, perhaps from here or from a breaker, and in time I should be able to do a write up on how to make the job work.

Regards, Mike

I should imagine easy to cut the existing inserts to facilitate rails Mike... the o/side front roof/screen section of insert from front of rail to screen scuttle was missing on mine when I bought it,.. I sourced one from  Seat and Skoda Breakers (based in Oldham)  for £10-00 plus postage. Had they only had the rail-less insert it was obvious that it could easily have been possible to measure and cut it to fit.

Alan.

I should imagine easy to cut the existing inserts to facilitate rails Mike... the o/side front roof/screen section of insert from front of rail to screen scuttle was missing on mine when I bought it,.. I sourced one from Seat and Skoda Breakers (based in Oldham) for £10-00 plus postage. Had they only had the rail-less insert it was obvious that it could easily have been possible to measure and cut it to fit.

Alan.

Hi Alan

From the Skoda parts diagrams it looks as though the insert strip is simply cut to length around the roof rail mounts.

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk1/body/body_work/exterior_equipment/roof_rack/summary_of_components_of_roof_rack_(octavia_combi)

Is that what you found?

Regards, Mike

Yes, I imagined a full length insert with the three holes in it Mike, but it appears that it is three separate pieces each side... the one I bought just slid under the front of the rail and butted against the existing centre section without having to slacken the fitting, then snapped into place.

A straight cut across the full length trim in line with the mount holes, then file or dremel a "half hole" to allow the pieces to butt together when the rail is in situ.

Alan.

So it's possible to buy the guttering without the holes cut in ? I had the roof rails on but took them off as I don't like the look of them on I will take a pic of how the holes are on mine

We might be able to do a swap here. I'm looking for inserts cut for rails and currently have the continuous insert.

Regards, Mike

I was given the rubber plugs from my local skoda place for free but I had already used some 10 mm earth/self tapping bolts in the brackets that held the roof rails so I just left them with him

All depends where you are Mike I will go take a picture now of what I have been left with

but the rails off ebay and fit them. I had to make gaskets for the roof to stop leaks but i work at a gasket company so no problem.

What did you use for the gaskets? Were they foot shaped or shaped to fit into the bottom of the rain gutter?

Regards, Mike

Today I removed the roof molding, its pretty easy, just lift with a screwdriver from the rear of the car. I found the holes covered by plastic caps. The total length is only 28 inches and I dont see how I will be able to install the rails from the wagon without drilling new holes. I imagine it will be much easier for the estates. Anyway, if the interior trim is removed I will be able to add the original 1u0860169 plates or retrofit some aftermarket rails. 

Any suggestions?

post-12537-0-70986500-1431776124_thumb.jpg

post-12537-0-21815800-1431776132_thumb.jpg

post-12537-0-15177000-1431776143_thumb.jpg

Edited by OCTAVIA_4X4_ABT