Dealer purchase - just one key?

markymarc

Hi

I've just purchased and collected my first Skoda - a used Octavia 2007 - from my local Skoda dealer. Having paid for the car, the dealer handed over the key, telling me that there was just the one key and no spare. 

I was a bit taken aback as every car I've bought in the past has come with a couple of keys - particularly having paid a premium to buy the vehicle from a Skoda dealership. From a quick bit of research I understand a second key will cost close c. £170 - a lot of money!

I indicated that I wasn't very happy with this but still took delivery of the car. The salesman who I purchased the car from is ringing me tomorrow. Any advice of how I might deal with this given they're a main dealer - or is it a case of 'caveat emptor'? 

Welcome to Briskoda.

Haggle in a second key. The cost to the dealer is less than the cost to you. At resale you will get less if you only have 1 key and it may put buyers off.

If they don't play ball phone Skoda UK customer services on Monday and ask them if you should expect 2 keys from a franchised dealer.

Hi Marc

I'd demand a second key. It's really unfair that you should be made to pay extra for a spare key. I've not really known a dealer to even take a car in without 2 keys being present. Like ferret says, if you come to sell the car, I think a lot of people would be put off.

• Administrators

Worse case, don't buy a key off them.

If it takes a turn for the worse, you also have to have your car serviced and buy parts. Is it worth losing that and that of your friends reputation over a key? Wether you would or not, perception matters.

We also have a sponsor on here, he can make keys, but it's regional, so maybe a while before he's passing you. IT 's an option versus a full Skoda Dealer price tag though.

I'd add that regardless of whether you get a second key, I'd insist that any keys that are not present are at least removed from the immobiliser as you don't know who has the other key(s). I think it unlikely you'll have any issues with someone taking your car using the potentially missing key(s) but better safe than sorry.

FYI, I think the member Colin was referring to is actionman39

Yeah, I'd be more bothered by who does have the second key rather than why I don't.

Its odd they would accept it themselves without the second one. Or maybe they're just playing games and want to see if you'll pay for it.

Check used car lots up and down the country, 20% of cars this age only have one key, it would annoy the hell out of me but it's a reality

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Edited by Its me
  • Like 1

Markymarc

if you don't get anywhere getting a 2nd key sorted then give me a shout. I get around the Midlands a fair bit so i'll probably be near you at some point over the next few weeks. I can easily supply, cut & program a new remote to your 07 Octavia as well as delete from the immob any keys that aren't present