LED door handle outside lights... Anyone like this?

I've updated my journal, thought I'd share the love in here.

IMAG0140_zps9rdcahlb.jpg

IMAG0147_zpsisl1lwna.jpg

IMAG0142_zpsix0a33sp.jpg

IMAG0146_zpsmxfrgra3.jpg

IMAG0150_zpsvfyr9ud1.jpg

IMAG0148_zpsat17wmwm.jpg

Sits very flush, cannot be seen side on. Drilling into a door blank, which I ordered from another donor black magic golf... Proved to be tricky but relatively easy. Considering my last car had this feature from the factory (E90 330d), and I'd already done this a few years ago on my E39 530d Sport, I decided the Fabia needed a bit of bling. Just the passenger side to do tomorrow, them I might as well do the rears.

If you like, and want it doing... Drop me a PM :-)

Edited by fabialousvrs
  • Like 3

I'm gonna have to do the rears myself first, before I can consider. Simple though, just routing wires but things I need to consider, like door clips, additional wiring and I broke a drill bit doing it lol. I'll get back to you :-)

I've updated my journal, thought I'd share the love in here.

IMAG0140_zps9rdcahlb.jpg

IMAG0147_zpsisl1lwna.jpg

IMAG0142_zpsix0a33sp.jpg

IMAG0146_zpsmxfrgra3.jpg

IMAG0150_zpsvfyr9ud1.jpg

IMAG0148_zpsat17wmwm.jpg

Sits very flush, cannot be seen side on. Drilling into a door blank, which I ordered from another donor black magic golf... Proved to be tricky but relatively easy. Considering my last car had this feature from the factory (E90 330d), and I'd already done this a few years ago on my E39 530d Sport, I decided the Fabia needed a bit of bling. Just the passenger side to do tomorrow, them I might as well do the rears.

If you like, and want it doing... Drop me a PM :-)

I like it...I like it a lot. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought from here.....    http://www.oznium.com/led-bolt

If you order 4 of them in 6mm size, no lens... works out to be about $36 (£25 inclusive of delivery), takes about 10 days to be delivered with a nice aftersales email from the company.

To be honest, I've not seen anyone on the mkiv forum do this, which is surprising. Only on the mk2 fabia wing mirror was this done with any success, but I feel the wing mirror doesnt exactly help you to see the puddle near the car door, unless it has a directed lens. The space in the blank is tight, but the 6mm LED bolt fits snug. Wiring up is fairly easy, I could design a guide if you want, when I do my passenger side. There is no need to use the additional screw thread, as there is just not enough room for it to be needed. Strong glue is all that is required.

If you want to send your blanks to have them drilled and fitted with the LED's, I might offer this. Pricing it though would mean £25 for the LED's, then postage for yourself to send and return plus a bit of beer tokenage. It's time consuming, the only costs are drill bits that I wear out. If you fit yourself, you'll need spare door clips as they break. You'll need additional wiring to do the rears, to be able to tap into the interior light or front door puddle lights. You would have to have 4 blanks (they are quite heavy things, as they are cast steel beneath the plastic cover) and be "de-locked". You cannot fit the LED into a key lock, there is not sufficient room for it, hence being de-locked.

I'm not 100% on doing the rears, as I need more door clips as they do break when you remove the door cards (PITA as that's more money lol). Plus the wife moans about time fannying around on the car!

If you need help, let me know... :rofl:

That is a great and subtle mod - also very useful at times. Just like my brothers beemer. Nice job mate!

I live in Warrington so it's not far for me to come either!

Chip

Edited by ChipUK
  • Like 1

No problem... my car was "Brocko" 's car from Warrington, you might have seen it around. He got a bit bored of the car, and went off to a Focus ST (been there, done that in 2006) which is fair enough. I believe he has a blue one now.

If you want help/or to do it, let me know. (Tony)

I'm gonna get stuck into doing a guide, there won't be any need to take off the inner carrier panel thankfully (especially if you have the b&arstud rivets!), but will require drilling a small hole into the steel carrier to feed through the power. If you do this yourself, you won't believe how easy it is with a bit of patience :rofl:

Helps make an old car look a bit younger anyway, in my opinion :sun:

• 2 weeks later...

Right, been a bit busy of late... but i've now done the passenger side, which again is dead easy.

IMAG0219_zpsecuwkhht.jpg

I'll be doing a full guide tonight for the front doors, looks great as you approach the car, ping your remote and the little LEDS shine towards the floor. As said, all of the current BMW range and some Audi's have this feature on all handles. Doing the back doors will be a little bit trickier, routing wiring through the B-pillar but do-able. That itself will be another guide...

NB... you do NOT have to remove rivets to do this, or remove the alu-carrier.

PM if you are nearby and want it doing :-)

Here the LED sits, weatherproof and invisible side-on...

IMAG0216_zpsdjuccl81.jpg

Try and find one as neat as that! Cool huh?

(The door blanks "internal parts" on the skoda fabia are plastic, so very easy to drill. mk4 golfs door blanks and the like is cast steel internally, so a bit trickier and wears out drill bits.)

Edited by fabialousvrs

let me know of a job lot price m8 and im in

No problem...

When I do the how-to tonight, I'll insert the option. I'll be very clear about the blanks and how to drill them, and tap into the interior puddle lights, if you want to attempt this.

Key is, take your time, and follow my guide :hi:

If you are a bit of a bodge at doing stuff, I don't mind doing it :rofl:

Very neat!

I have them in the door mirrors and they do light up the floor very well.

Would it be possible to fit something like these if you wanted a more OEM look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAIBIRD-18x-WHITE-LED-UNDER-SIDR-MIRROR-LAMP-LIGHT-VW-EOS-GOLF-5-JETTA-PASSAT-B6-/251521845151?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item3a8fdec79f

You could cut a suitably shaped hole in the bottom and glue it in somehow.

Could experiment on a scrapper wing mirror.

Phil

No problem...

When I do the how-to tonight, I'll insert the option. I'll be very clear about the blanks and how to drill them, and tap into the interior puddle lights, if you want to attempt this.

Key is, take your time, and follow my guide :hi:

If you are a bit of a bodge at doing stuff, I don't mind doing it :rofl:

my ferby's going white next week so will send you all you need and paypal u the amount you charge dun wanna mess it up lol

Very neat!

I have them in the door mirrors and they do light up the floor very well.

Would it be possible to fit something like these if you wanted a more OEM look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAIBIRD-18x-WHITE-LED-UNDER-SIDR-MIRROR-LAMP-LIGHT-VW-EOS-GOLF-5-JETTA-PASSAT-B6-/251521845151?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item3a8fdec79f

You could cut a suitably shaped hole in the bottom and glue it in somehow.

Could experiment on a scrapper wing mirror.

Phil

Hmm a bit OTT for me, this one being a little more subtle.. Nice though, very bright!

Just about to do the guide....