Vibration/resonance at 1750rpm NSF

Here's a game for y'all

I've had my Octy from new in October last year (2 litre denzel elegance) and from day 1 I noticed a vibration from the NSF area. It sounded like it was coming from where the windscreen meets the scuttle panel but was only apparent at 1750 - 1800rpm in any gear at any speed. It's been sorted by my local dealer now.

Points for any correct guesses as to the cause of the problem.

Marking this thread - I got miron vibration somewhere in the front and it is bugging me... I can't say if it is the rpm related or not, but one thing I know - it is not my sunglasses in the box :-D And it is not something in the glovebox - I have opened it and something still rattles quietly.

Hmm got to try holding handbrake knob - it made some noise on my Mazda...

All good guesses - none correct. It's a very broad area to guess though.

It turned out the noise was an air-con pipe that runs from the condenser rattling/vibrating against the bulk head. After securing it at the dealership I've not had a problem with that noise since.

It is booked in again though as I also mentioned a rattle from the rear of the centre armrest. Turns out it needs a whole new armrest/cubby. It's a seats and carpet out job. :(

• Like 1

I did have a Vibration/resonance when the revs decreasing, around 2500-1800rpm. I have found that the noise was coming from the B pillar on the right side.

After dissembling myself the plastics in the B pillar, i have found that the noise is done by the belt's barrel inside his case. And the case is fitted on a thin sheet-metal. I was able to reproduce it and i have try to fix it from around the plastic area with some adhesive sponge. But the barrel will still make noise inside the case, and you can't do nothing out there. Maybe just changing the assembly.

It turned out the noise was an air-con pipe that runs from the condenser rattling/vibrating against the bulk head. After securing it at the dealership I've not had a problem with that noise since.

It is booked in again though as I also mentioned a rattle from the rear of the centre armrest. Turns out it needs a whole new armrest/cubby. It's a seats and carpet out job. :(

I had the heater/air con pipe rattle, reported the fix in my diary thread, I thought it was a loose part in the steering wheel air bag but it was the pipe rattling on the inside of the steering column trim. The fix Hortons did was to tape round the pipe to make the push fit connection tighter, simples!

Also, I occasionally get the same arm rest rattle but if you slide the pad forward a few cm, it stops, so I'm living with that one, or just put some Metallica on and turn up the volume! :rofl:

Edited by Matt Pez

Was the rattling noise present constantly i.e accelerating and cruising?

I've started to notice a rattle when turbo kicks in around the same rev range but only when engine has warmed up and is put under load.