dmf and egr and facelift questions

I have  55 PLATE VRS, asz engine, would you guys recommend regarding the two items above!? Do I need the egr delete mod or dmf blank? 

The car will not be remapped, reliability is important to me as I am not mechanicaly minded at all!

Im also wondering if I have a facelifted car or not? I know there was an engine change to blt but was this part of the facelift? I can take a pic of the boot floor sticker tonight if that helps?

p.s. I have searched extensively on this forum but cannot find much info or a precise answer to my question.

DMF blank? DMF is a dual mass flywheel and can't be blanked. EGR delete is recommended as it rules out something else to go wrong.

You can tell if it's a facelift by the rear lights.

Sorry meant DPF? Anything else that I should be looking into with this engine?

Can anyone recommend somebody in kent to carry out an EGR delete, I will buy the kit off here, so just fitment needed?

I think I have a facelift then!?(pic attached)

post-115781-0-73683600-1398863890_thumb.jpg 

• Like 1

Thanks, as I have said before I have no mechanical knowledge! 

If that's the case, it might be est to leave the modding alone and keep to ensuring the car is serviced on time, with the correct oil etc and just enjoy it as it is.

There's no shame in that. That's pretty much my approach.  :blush:

If that's the case, it might be est to leave the modding alone and keep to ensuring the car is serviced on time, with the correct oil etc and just enjoy it as it is.

There's no shame in that. That's pretty much my approach.  :blush:

That is my intention, so is the EGR delete only necessary if modding? I plan to maintain the car and tidy it up! My wife drives the car all week so performance is not a priority at all!

The car has full Skoda service history and I will hopefully keep this up, I have saved the 'what oil' thread on here as a favourite already!

The way I see it, there are pros and cons with the egr.

Pros... It speeds up warm up, which will help with efficiency and possibly even reduce engine wear as a result. Also it helps to reduce nox emissions.

Cons... Short trips will see it getting clogged up with carbon/oily sludge. However, it's not an expensive part to fix/replace. Over fuelling could see it clogged up quicker than normal too.

My view is it's designed to be there, and functions fine in many un modified engines. It serves a purpose and should work fine if the engine is unfettled.

Edited by inventory-photo

Ok thanks for your advice! Think I will leave it well alone until it needs a clean!

My engine seems to warm up quickly and stay at 80 degrees so I don't think I will gain anything there!

Thanks again!

EGR doesn't speed warm up, though intuitively one might think it would.  AFAIK it doesn't even get used by the ECU below about 50°C coolant temperature, and even when it is in action it reduces NOx emissions by lowering peak combustion temperatures, so that would increase warm-up time versus it not being present, no?

EGR doesn't speed warm up, though intuitively one might think it would.  AFAIK it doesn't even get used by the ECU below about 50°C coolant temperature, and even when it is in action it reduces NOx emissions by lowering peak combustion temperatures, so that would increase warm-up time versus it not being present, no?

Although it reduce combustion temps, you still have that hot air being recycled through the engine from the exhaust, which can aid warm up times. At worst, warm up times will be the same as before. There is plenty of information about on how blanking EGR/turning it down affects warm up. I'm pretty sure many on here who've blanked their EGR have mentioned longer warm up times too?

Here's the first mention I found on TDI club of how EGR affects warm up, I've read plenty more that agrees with this view though. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305248

I still think it's worth keeping, even though i know most of you on here won't agree with me. NOx is pretty nasty stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx#Environmental_effects

ok so here goes:

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation

A valve that allows a small portion of exhaust gas to be sucked back into the air intake to be pushed through the engine again.

This allows any unburnt fuel to be burnt reducing emissions.

As said above it can get clogged up over time reducing air flow and increasing gunk in the air flow system.

Engines also run better on pure air than on an air/exhaust gas mix so can increase performance/economy if the EGR is blanked.

DMF - Dual Mass Flywheel

An integral part of the clutch which cannot be "blanked"

Upgrade to a stronger single mass flywheel (SMF) is required if modifying north of 200bhp

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter

An advanced filter fitted to exhausts of later diesel engines to improve emissions ratings.

Again can get clogged up and cause issues if cars are used on short run journeys.

No need to worry in your case though as the mk1 Fabia VRS did not get a DPF.

Fabia mk1 facelift

It was extensive, have a look at this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/284489-exterior-facelifted-models/?hl=%2Bfacelift#entry3370942

details most of the things that changed during the facelift

ok so here goes:

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation

A valve that allows a small portion of exhaust gas to be sucked back into the air intake to be pushed through the engine again.

This allows any unburnt fuel to be burnt reducing emissions.

As said above it can get clogged up over time reducing air flow and increasing gunk in the air flow system.

Engines also run better on pure air than on an air/exhaust gas mix so can increase performance/economy if the EGR is blanked.

DMF - Dual Mass Flywheel

An integral part of the clutch which cannot be "blanked"

Upgrade to a stronger single mass flywheel (SMF) is required if modifying north of 200bhp

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter

An advanced filter fitted to exhausts of later diesel engines to improve emissions ratings.

Again can get clogged up and cause issues if cars are used on short run journeys.

No need to worry in your case though as the mk1 Fabia VRS did not get a DPF.

Fabia mk1 facelift

It was extensive, have a look at this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/284489-exterior-facelifted-models/?hl=%2Bfacelift#entry3370942

details most of the things that changed during the facelift

Thank you for your post!

Great info! looks like I have a facelifted car with an asz engine. 

yeah my ASZ engined '04 plate red car was a pre face lift

Mrs Pasty's '54 plate black car is facelifted with an ASZ engine

The BLT engine was only introduced near the end of the Fabias life to meet tougher emissions regulations - think it was '06 onwards

• 2 weeks later...

My 55 plate has the facelift rear lights, slanty finned grill and no door pins in the rear doors (only noticed this after reading the link above - this is also something that bugs me lol) but still has the asz engine as mentioned above :-)