Sunroof noise.

so in the sunroof track, its the normal black lithium grease. if you retract the sunroof, you can see the tracks buried down the side, and they have official approved skoda grease in them. I can dig out the part number if you want. 

for the rubbers, I just use autoglym rubber care stuff. 

hth

t.

• Like 1

I mentioned the juddering when closing my panoramic roof at it's second annual service last December and I was told there was a new grease recommended, they didn't yet have it but took the car back a week later to do it (under warranty).

Now the good weather is back and I'm using the roof again but alas it's still juddering when closing so the change wasn't so brilliant it seems. 

The difficulty is getting the grease into the right place underneath the runners. I imagine there's a special tool for the job but I'm sure I can improvise something.

Anyone got any ideas?   

as a note, my own roof was juddering a bit as it opened/closed, and there is an epic creak from it every now and then as I go over a bump when its closed. 

this thread reminded me to go sort it out, so I headed out to the car today with can of silicone oil in hand for the rubbers, and some lithium grease for the runners.

note: when you open the roof fully back, and look down at it (I climbed up on the drivers side sill and hung onto the door for dear life), its not the channel that you can clearly see. in a right hand drive car (like mine) if you are on the drivers side, there is another channel inside that, so back towards you, that is slightly harder to see, but this is the channel that you have to work on. 

I cleaned out the main channel on each side with an artists brush, which got a lot of grit and yech out. there is a conveniently wider slot about mid way down the rail when you have the sunroof in full back position, which makes it easy to get the brush in and out.

I then put in some fresh lithium grease with the brush, and brushed three good blobs of grease up and down the track (after of course cleaning the brush down a bit with a j-cloth (VW part number unavailable, but 2 euro for 10 in tesco)), and left a large blob at the end of the track towards the back of the car. this seemed to sort out the juddering and the roof is closing pretty smoothly now. 

I sprayed silicon oil on yet another jcloth, and then wiped all the rubbers, particularly the ones at the back of the roof opening where I suspect the noise is coming from. 

cheers

t.

• Like 1

not sure if I understand your comment there 

do you mean I will have a problem if I clean out the dirt and re-grease it? (as I did today)

of I will have a problem if I dont clean it out?

• 1 year later...

A bit of a thread resurrection but this is a very useful thread. That PDF posted by TMG is very useful - thank you.

I used a bit of Vaseline in the channel guides when it started to judder (I had nothing else) and it worked. Not ideal I accept but Ithink I need to clean out the guides and give it the correct 'service'.

Using it daily now with this nice weather so it needs to be working well.

Dave

• 5 months later...

On my superb with a solar sunroof there are rattling noises coming from the roof interior.

The back of the roof interior sits a bit lower to accommodate the space for the sunroof to retract. Sometimes small leaves and dust get trapped in that cavity after the sunroof is retracted. When I drive over bumps or if I hit that roof area I can hear rattling kind of sound.

My first idea was to remove the back interior roof lights and see if there is any space to hoover everything out with a DYI hoover adaptor or something. Removing the whole roof interior would be a lot of hassle and definitely the last option.

Can anyone advise? Thanks