Drivers electric window not working properly.

Drivers window is very intermittent. Goes down sometimes and same going up. When the switch is pressed you can hear clicking and can feel movement in the door. It sounds like an electrical fault?

Anybody else got experience with window faults? I don't any to go to a garage if I can help it. I don't have a problem having a go myself.

Try bringing them all the way down with the key fob (hold the unlucky key) then all the way back up again (hold lock key) and try your luck from there.

It might be enough to fix, might need more.

Good luck

mine has started doing this a bit, when wet! I wondered if fitting a new door rubber would prevent the water reaching the electrics. No problem in the dry!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I had the same trouble on my old Fabia 2008 but service dealer in Bolton, now since gone, said nothing wrong.  Took it to a Seat /

Skoda dealer found fault code.  Solution new window winder under warranty.  My year old Fabia 2013 drivers window is rattling, dealer clearned window guide but still rattling and will need new mechanism.

Good luck

This may not be an actual fault. The main problem when this happens is the window safety cut out keeps kicking in. This is due to the window glass encountering too much friction in it's sliders and seals. The car thinks something is blocking the window so it shuts down. In short, the clicking noise normally indicates the window glass is sticking in it's window rubber or the dog has it's head in the window and is being strangled!!  It's usually NOT a fault but just the window rubbers need lubing (as it says in the manual) to help the glass slide easily. If this stiction occurs it throws out the window travel parameters and plays havoc with the up and down sequence making you think there is a fault.  The window may decide to go down when you actually want it to go up etc etc. I'd be surprised if it's anymore than that. 

Solution. LUBE WINDOW SEALS AND RESET THE WINDOW OPERATING PARAMETERS: carefully lube the window rubbers where the glass touches with silicone spray, or you can use candle wax but that's not so good. Silicone spray is inert and will not harm the rubber. Next, WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, operate the windows (one at a time) to the fully up position. Next, still with the engine running you must reset the window travel parameters so the car knows where the window glass is at anyone time. If they are not functioning correctly you may need to assist them to close by holding the window glass and pulling gently up to take some of the strain. Don't pull hard as you don't want the glass to come out of it's rail inside the door. So, the process. With the window closed operate the window switch to the down position but always holding the button in the down position while this happens. When the glass gets to the bottom of it's travel, CONTINUE TO HOLD THE BUTTON in the down positIon for 3 SECONDS after the clicking noise starts, then release. Next, lift the door window button to the up position and continue to hold it as the glass goes all the way up. When it gets to the top of it's travel and stops CONTINUE TO HOLD THE BUTTON for 3 SECONDS, then release. Do the same for any other windows that are electrically operated. DO NOT ATTEMPT AT ANY TIME  DURING THIS PROCESS TO TRY OUT THE WINDOW THAT HAS JUST BEEN RESET. It will not work correctly at this stage. After the last one is done, switch off the car, wait 30 seconds then restart or just switch on the ignition and the windows will operate normally. If not, there is a fault which may need a dealers attention. But that's unlikely in my experience (ex-tech). Just let us know how it goes! Good luck!

PS. Through experience, we've found that resetting the windows works more successfully on customer cars when the engine is running. Strictly speaking this should not be neccessary, just doing it with the ignition on but motor off should work but the window motors get more power with the engine running and it just seems to work better first time. 

Edited by Estate Man

• 2 months later...

Hi there

Thanks for the useful advice.  Took car to dealer again reluctant to change window regulator in spite of rattle.  Stating Skoda will not pay for parts, excuse??? Ordered lubricant spray but still waiting week later!

Noticed on a few occasions - when car is parked after a while both front electric windows go completely OPEN with the glass in the door.  Tried to unlock car and close windows by turning key anti-clockwise but no good.  Turned ignition ON and closed windows by repeatedly using the UP switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Diesel Estate

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Golf and sometimes windows get out of Sync,

Fix is to Disconnect Battery, Give about 10 mins, reconnect, Switch On ignition and Cycle each window all the down and all the way up one at a time.

This re-Syncs windows.  If this does not work then something else.

Also had windows (on Golf opening when parked) above also sorted this.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone

Drivers door window still rattles in-spite of another dealer resetting windows due to windows opening by themselves.  I suppose I will have to keep pestering dealers until some thing is done but do not hold out hope!

I will have to try to spray window channels with silicon lubricant.

Estate Man - do you recommend a silicon spray I could buy to try this??

Thanks.

Diesel Estate

• 6 years later...

Hi.  I have the usual driver's door electric window problem. This one has gone down, and stayed down. Following the excellent advice on this thread, I lubricated the rubbers, as I seemed to have the exact same symptoms as described above. 

No luck. I have had to remove the door card, and wind the window back up by hand. 

Removing the regulator, it motors nicely in a clockwise direction, ie window down. Dead as a dodo when switch is operated for ' up '.  

Done the usual checking for chafed wires in door bellows, all appears OK. 

Two replacement regulators exhibit the same problem. 

Any ideas, please ? 

• 1 year later...

Mine does exactly the same . Works perfectly most of the time , then goes down okay but clicks on the way back up . If I do it on the key in the door it goes up and down perfectly so cannot be the motor . Just frustrating when you pay or parking or a drive through. And stuck with it down . Skoda Fabia scout 2009 .