Heads up for new cars - something to look for?

How new is the car - it is quite stiff to start off with but beds in. If you hit a bump and it is very jarring then the transport blocks are still in.

A month old. Here's the pic with the saucer thing at the bottom that is preventing me lifting the gaiter more than a few mm.

post-31523-0-42138400-1405109605_thumb.jpg

Yep, the corrugated plastic is the shock absorber piston gaiter. You should be able to lift the bottom up a few centimetres if you put you fingers between the spring coils. 

• Like 1

Yep, the corrugated plastic is the shock absorber piston gaiter. You should be able to lift the bottom up a few centimetres if you put you fingers between the spring coils.

It will only lift a bit. Don't want to split it. Oh well better just leave it. Thanks for the help :-) Edited by tigermad

Fair enough, no worries. As andyvee says, if you hit a bump and there a knock from the wheel then there may be a problem, but if not then I shouldn't worry. Of course, failing that you could always ask your dealer to check?

• Like 1

A month old. Here's the pic with the saucer thing at the bottom that is preventing me lifting the gaiter more than a few mm.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The saucer is technically known as the lower spring seat :)

The corrugated bit is quite flexible, you are unlikely to split it. If you lift it up a few mm and can see the stainless steel piston rod right at the bottom going in to the 'saucer' then the spacers have been removed.

The saucer is technically known as the lower spring seat :)

The corrugated bit is quite flexible, you are unlikely to split it. If you lift it up a few mm and can see the stainless steel piston rod right at the bottom going in to the 'saucer' then the spacers have been removed.

The bit I can see under the sheath isn't stainless steel just black on both sides.

Jacking the car up does make it a lot easier and you'll need to do it to remove them anyway if they are there. I did struggle a bit with the gaiter myself before jacking it up, I think it was sticking on the blocks so had to push it straight up instead of pushing one side.

• 1 month later...

I think I may have this issue too :(

My suspension is rock hard on my vrs tdi, and remembering this thread, I've been checking my front shocks, and there's a 1inch high lump under the drivers side gait or, that isn't present on the passenger side.

Is this similar to what others have seen?

This is an "old problem".....VW UK issued a notice early this year to remind "again" to the dealers when doing a PDI to remove the blocks....................

Back in 2001 when I got my Fabia the dealers had forgotten to remove the extra metal hooks in the front wishbones to tie the car down.................loads of rattles..................just removed them & walked into the showroom & the salesman had customers at his desk.......so I plonked these hooks down in front of them & said " I don't like these freebies, I didn't order them & they make lots of noise"...................his face............. :D

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing meb90,

hopefully on Monday I'll drive my long awaited octy, and will have their -> absence <- checked,

Stefano

Hi all,

Just posting this in case you are interested. I had the front wheel of my car off today, but found these underneath the dust gaiter of the shock absorber. I have now taken them out (as they obviously aren't supposed to be there), and the car rides much better. Before the ride could be very clunky, but I am not surprised now as the shock was obviously being restricted. I wouldn't like to think how long it could have been before they were found!

20140517_161119_zps41feb2e0.jpg

SnailUK and Genoa1893, glad the thread was of use and you have no issues!!

Dale, you should have a PM now :)