Is there any oil pressure data on the VRS?

Since I first started visiting here, I have read many threads about excessive oil consumption on the VRS. I have read a lot of detailed, sometimes conflicting and occasionally confusing advice on how and when to read the dipstick.

It seems to me that there are three figures in relation to oil that would be useful - Level, Temperature and Pressure. I can understand why when the engine is running it is not possible to have an oil level display similar to the fuel level but I can't understand why there is no obvious oil pressure indication, I believe that they used to be common on cars in the past.

Is oil pressure data actually available anywhere? Can it be displayed on the little display between the speedo and rev counter?

You only need to know where 3.6 litres shows on the dip stick when the car has sat cold and before a trip,

& thats the important level.

The oil temp indicated gives you an idea what is going on, you know the weather/temperature outside

and how you are driving. Just driving or driving a bit more spirited.

I would not bother about Oil Pressures unless you are Going To the Track or tuning the engine.

Its just an engine, it hardly needs treating like Sugar, unless it is a Faulty one. IMO

They could show Boost Pressures, Oil Pressures and all the rest other manufacturers do,

even VWG do on some models, (the Beetle 2.0TSI has nice gauges on the dash top)

but all thats needed really is an engine performing as it should.

http://volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf

There are cars with the ability to provide oil level information on the dash and give a dipstick reading. Whether or not it's accurate I'm not sure but I've seen it and used it in a 120d. Definetly a feature which would be useful on many cars including the vRS.

The extra information would be nice but to be fair it's not really needed. I can happily live with the oil usage on my car which is reletively high but within "manafacturer tolerances".

The only thing that bugs me is how there is no linearity to the usage of oil. Sometimes I may need to too up 700ml after around 1000 miles of A road and town driving, yet this past week it's even completely different;

Over the last 8 days I've driven from Kent to Devon, in and around on the hilly rural roads (higher than usual revs) and back home again, having covered just under 1000 miles, and.... It hasn't used a drop of oil.

The mind boggles.

Edited by Ryan's VRS

Is there any way then of getting the display to show the oil pressure and other stuff that other manufacturers display?

I know that it isn't essential, probably not even important but it would just be interesting - likewise boost pressure, etc.

Plug into the OBD, use a suitable App and see what you get.

The ECU gets the information from the Sensors so there is lots there.

There is a Low Oil Warning and Low Oil Pressure, 

so it will be interesting to see what else you get.