Advice/Opinion needed - Mk1 Octavia VRS on Autotrader

Interesting... Is there a boot release inside or on the keyfob?

In other news, they still have the car and I'm going to see it later today :)

Later in the production run the vrs came with a 3 button remote instead of a 2. The extra button was a remote boot release which basically just opened the boot without unlocking the car. I'm not sure what model year got them but its a very common upgrade for us with 2 buttons to convert to 3. That could explain the boot lock on that car. It looks stunning by the way.

Later in the production run the vrs came with a 3 button remote instead of a 2. The extra button was a remote boot release which basically just opened the boot without unlocking the car. I'm not sure what model year got them but its a very common upgrade for us with 2 buttons to convert to 3. That could explain the boot lock on that car. It looks stunning by the way.

OK good stuff.  If the keyfob has three buttons all will be explained!  I'm properly excited about going to see this car, but I want to go there level-headed and make sure it's everything it should be.

I can't thank you all enough - a superb forum and you should all be proud of yourselves!  I'll definitely be bringing the car to any meets if I end up buying it! :)

I tried to be level headed when I went to buy mine, but had pretty much decided I was having it (price dependent) when I parked up next to it lol. Notice it has heated seats listed, was that a factory option? Thought it was purely a WRC feature. Looks properly nice that though, won't say anything else as it's all been said already!

I tried to be level headed when I went to buy mine, but had pretty much decided I was having it (price dependent) when I parked up next to it lol. Notice it has heated seats listed, was that a factory option? Thought it was purely a WRC feature. Looks properly nice that though, won't say anything else as it's all been said already!

Haha I can imagine it's easier said than done to be level-headed!  Heated seats wise it might just be an Autotrader automatic spec thing during the admin process?  If it does have heated seats then fair enough I guess?  I've noticed there is a photo of the key in the ignition and I can only make out two buttons - so with the boot lid blanking plate where the key is supposed to go - I assume there will be a boot release inside the car.  Again, another thing to double check!  Thanks mate!

Haha I can imagine it's easier said than done to be level-headed!  Heated seats wise it might just be an Autotrader automatic spec thing during the admin process?  If it does have heated seats then fair enough I guess?  I've noticed there is a photo of the key in the ignition and I can only make out two buttons - so with the boot lid blanking plate where the key is supposed to go - I assume there will be a boot release inside the car.  Again, another thing to double check!  Thanks mate!

The boot unlocks with the rest of the car anyway, you just put your hand under the lip on top of the number plate and there's like a little rubber bit (hard to describe) that you pull up and it opens.

Never had need of the key hole in the back anyway tbh.

The boot unlocks with the rest of the car anyway, you just put your hand under the lip on top of the number plate and there's like a little rubber bit (hard to describe) that you pull up and it opens.

Never had need of the key hole in the back anyway tbh.

OK that's great, thanks :)

Not all of the later ones had the three button remote.  Mine was registered in March 2006 - so one of the very last Mk1s - and it only had the two button remote.  I thought about a retrofit upgrade to a three button but to be honest I could cope with opening it myself with the normal release.  I'd be interested to see what this red one has.

Not all of the later ones had the three button remote. Mine was registered in March 2006 - so one of the very last Mk1s - and it only had the two button remote. I thought about a retrofit upgrade to a three button but to be honest I could cope with opening it myself with the normal release. I'd be interested to see what this red one has.

Ah OK buddy I thought all later models had the 3 button remote. I've converted mine and I don't think I've ever used it!

• Like 1

Seems a tad pricey (I paid £2400 from a trader for mine, on a 51 plate with 42k miles, FSH etc).

Does look very nice though, so if it's had the cambelt & pump done, doesn't need tyres or brakes etc.. then I'd so go for it. :)

Well, I've put a deposit down on it :)

It was utterly mint throughout.  Really good paint, engine bay looked like it had just come from the factory and the interior was spotless.

The only thing of note was that the rad was actually bent, functional but bent.  Now, I think it's had a prang at some point (as the number plate on the front is different from the rear - so this was a tell-tale sign).  The front of the car is stunning so it's obviously been professionally repaired.  The seller has ordered a new rad and it'll be fitted on Saturday, I should be collecting it on Tuesday next week :-D

I took it for a test drive and it pulled well, all gears are fine, brakes are good!  The cambelt and water pump were apparently changed at 48k miles - it's now on 52k.  Now, there was no hard proof that they had been changed.  So, for peace of mind, I'm going to take it to my mate Jim at JKM Performance in Portsmouth for him to give it a proper look over and possibly even change the belt and pump.

Happy days really, can't wait! :)

Edited by MrJonnyJones

Sounds good! There is nothing worse than getting your hopes up to go and see a mint car that ends up being a turd!

As you said earlier, so many helpful people on the forum, there is a vast amount of knowledge on here. The only thing is, I hope you have s few extra pennies in your pocket, the more you read, the more you mod...but it's muchos fun :p

Sounds good! There is nothing worse than getting your hopes up to go and see a mint car that ends up being a turd!

As you said earlier, so many helpful people on the forum, there is a vast amount of knowledge on here. The only thing is, I hope you have s few extra pennies in your pocket, the more you read, the more you mod...but it's muchos fun :p

Yeah I did have my hopes up and I was right to be excited, really happy!  And yes, I can fully see myself doing things to it at some point! :)

Awesome looking car. Now to get yourself along to some if our Brisky meets

Thanks mate, I fully intend on coming along to some meets! :)

I'm glad it has come up to your expectations, always wary of one plate change. I had an 04 one in black and an 05 one in red many years ago, still pine for a yellow one now, I need to bite the bullet and just do it .....

I'm glad it has come up to your expectations, always wary of one plate change. I had an 04 one in black and an 05 one in red many years ago, still pine for a yellow one now, I need to bite the bullet and just do it .....

If you can find a nice example (quite tricky, as I've found out!) then go for it :-)

Think the belts been done but don't have proof   - only 4000 miles ago ? - I would take that as read that it hasn't been done. Would also very carefully check the panel gaps and get a HPI check as you have found a bent radiator. If it turns out to be a cat C, it is worth a lot less (and you would probably need professional opinion to make sure it's safe).

Think the belts been done but don't have proof   - only 4000 miles ago ? - I would take that as read that it hasn't been done. Would also very carefully check the panel gaps and get a HPI check as you have found a bent radiator. If it turns out to be a cat C, it is worth a lot less (and you would probably need professional opinion to make sure it's safe).

Yes I'll be getting both checked/changed by JKM in Portsmouth.  I did an HPI check before we went to view the car, it came back clear.  The panel gaps were also spot on :)

Sounds all good then - lots of cars have a prang at some point in their lives, it doesn't mean they are unsafe. A stage 1 remap was the 1st thing I had done (before an LPG conversion) - 15 months and 25kmiles later I'm still well pleased with the performance/driveability/reliability of my VRS. Only a couple of downsides, wind/cabin noise at speed, and it really needs a higher top gear for motorway work.

How many miles has yours done is it on standard clutch I'm thinking of getting mine remapped now I have decided to keep it but I'm worried that it will FUBAR the clutch

How many miles has yours done is it on standard clutch I'm thinking of getting mine remapped now I have decided to keep it but I'm worried that it will FUBAR the clutch

Mines a 55 reg with 175k, full service history and no evidence of a clutch change. I also tow 1.3 tonnes of caravan. I suppose it depends how and where you drive. I live on the flat, and also mainly motorway work. I guess that quick standing starts, riding the clutch etc would fairly quickly destroy the clutch (especially if it's fairly well worn)