Iphone5s not compatible with columbus system

I am trying to connect my iPhone5s to a Columbus system in a Superb Elegance 2012 reg.

It says phone not compatible.

Do I have to update firmware or change to the Bluetooth unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a 2012 elegance today. First thing I tried was connecting the iPhone 5 and it worked perfectly. The salesman reckoned iPhone 3 and earlier were a problem but not the newer phones.

• Like 1

My 2011 elegance works fine with the wifes iphone 5c. Cant see it being much different from the iphone 5s. Did you try to connect via the maxidot? Or through the columbus?

Edited by flamazine

I tried while stationary using the steering wheel buttons to search for device

It finds mine but doesn't connect

Says phone not compatible

It may be you only have an rsap only module which do not work with iphones. Check out the thread pinned to the top of this forum.

If you look under the driver or passenger seat at the BT module, you can report the part number. If it is an rsap only module, it will be a 5n0 035 730 a/b/c part number. I would be surprised in such a new car, but worth ruling out.

Adam

Have you deleted previous mobileconnections?

The system can only store 3 mobilephones... (I think?)

Reset to factory settings under "phonebutton" on your Columbusdevice.

Then pair up your iPhone on Maxidotscreen.

I have Columbus and iPhone 5s, and it works great!

Did you have an iPhone paired before? When I changed to an iPhone 5 it wouldn't pair at all. I reset the BT (under the drivers seat) and deleted previous pairings as indicated above and it worked no problem.

I have reset to factory under system menu

I have the 5N0 035 730 A

Under the drivers seat. Guess I need to rip that out and buy a better one?!?

I reckon someone has swapped out the module for an older one before selling it to you as 5N0..A is avery old.  Hope it wasn't the dealer...

The one you link to is the best module and will work with snd iphone in handsfree mode, but as per my PM, you can get it cheaper here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bluetooth-BT-Premium-FSE-RSAP-SMS-A2DP-WLAN-3C8035730D-FREE-MICROPHONE-/261474799400?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3ce11ccf28

I am assuming you have maxidot in an Elegance spec?

I have a 2012 Elegance with Columbus. I have used a 4, 4S and 5S with the unit, all ok. The 5S can be temperamental, I reset the Columbus as already suggested which cured the initial pairing problem and the phone paired ok. If it doesn't find the phone do a hard reset on the phone, I get this occasionally and this does the trick.

I fitted one of these to my previous 2010 Elegance: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-bluetooth-module-7p6035730k-upgrade,id494.html

Total plug and play, no messing about required. No problems connecting to a 5S and allows control of the iphone's music via steering wheel buttons. 

I also opted for the foam velcro cover: http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-bluetooth-foam-cover-1k0919737m,id313.html

It does away with that rubbish plastic cover and looks much neater. You have to mod the foam a little for a tighter fit but it's a massive improvement. 

• 6 months later...

After 6 months of driving without hands-free Bluetooth in my car, I know have to order the correct module to replace the A version that I have.

Which model should I search for again guys and is eBay a good bet to order from, they seem to be coming from Portugal or Poland.

I can also say, I have a 5S that connects fine to a 2012 Superb with Columbus, apart from the odd day when maxi dot says 'searching for .....' and sticks like this morning.

It could also be that your car wasn't fitted with BT from new, and someone has fitted an earlier model.

EDIT: sorry, as a 2012 Elegance it would have had BT from new.

Edited by lowedb

You have to search for the car Bluetooth (SKODA BT) on your phone not the other way round, if you search using maxidot you get no compatible device found.I thought I had the same problem when trying to pair my new iPhone 6 to my yeti Columbus.

True in general for connecting in HFP mode, but only if you have a module that supports HFP.  Sadly that module doesn't and only includes rSAP, which needs maxidot to pair and only works with some phones (this includes the S5, but not the iPhone).

My 3GS (!) works perfectly OK as a phone with the Superb. (the text stuff does not bother me)

A 3S!  You're obviously taken care of that phone.  I've never managed to keep a phone for more than two years max before it burns out, apart from the good old blockias!!  I do find the iPhone BT connection (I've paired a few with the Columbus) as a bit patchy sometimes, in fact it dropped twice today on my IPhone 5.