Hill hold issue

jiiimse

Using a giggling smily like an eight year old would doesn't make what you say funny. What i have written in my post is correct and doesn't need editing by a bored house husband.

Normally I wouldn't respond to rude comments like that, but this time I will.

Lighten up, and stop being so stupidy sexist!!

And for your information, I'm able to respond to this forum in the day time as I am currently off sick awaiting an operation for a problem which stops me from working, and I have been for 5 months and am likely to be for atleast another 3 months. 

Oh, and I'm nearly 61, too.

• Like 2

Not that I have ever come across, but I can think of a few people who are on one.  :notme:

(Oh dear I've put an 8 year old's response!)

Friendly reminder. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

5. Respect is the name of the game. Do not flame, hound, badger, disrespect, or taunt ANYONE on the forums. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close it or delete it. You can and very possibly will be banned if you continue this type of behaviour. This is on a case by case basis with experience where possible.

• Like 2

Friendly reminder. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

5. Respect is the name of the game. Do not flame, hound, badger, disrespect, or taunt ANYONE on the forums. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close it or delete it. You can and very possibly will be banned if you continue this type of behaviour. This is on a case by case basis with experience where possible.

We do try and be good - honestly.

BTW, the mods you did for me are still good and much appreciated :beer:

• Like 1

Yet to try this (as with the automatic parking) - still a little untrusting (without good reason) of both!

So on a hill, at a set of lights, maybe, I use the foot brake to hold the car (no hand brake), take my foot off the brake and it holds the car until I accelerate and let the clutch out?

So on a hill, at a set of lights, maybe, I use the foot brake to hold the car (no hand brake), take my foot off the brake and it holds the car until I accelerate and let the clutch out?

No, only for a maximum of a couple of seconds, after which it just lets go.  According to the handbook (it's described under "Uphill Start Assist"), it will also release in response to driver input based on application of the throttle alone, you don't need to let the clutch out.  I've never experimented with it enough to verify this, largely because it's the one thing about the Yeti I really dislike.  There are two reasons why:

1) When reversing back on to my downward-sloping drive, I can let the car run gently back in to position on neutral or with the clutch out.  If I stop briefly to check my alignment or how far back I've gone, the car sits going nowhere for another couple of seconds after I release the brake, and then goes all at once.  This is disconcerting at best, could be worse if I'm not concentrating fully.

2) If, like me, you do use the handbrake in normal driving, you can get caught out if you have to queue on a particularly steep hill (there's one near me which still sometimes catches me out like this).  If you slow the car to a stop on the footbrake and then engage the handbrake, you can find yourself in a situation where the combined effect of the handbrake and HHC will hold the car stationary, but when the HHC releases, you discover that the handbrake isn't on quite enough to stop the car slowly rolling back towards the vehicle behind.  This is embarrassing at best, could result  in a low-speed collision if you're don't notice it happening.

Basically, I see it as a bad solution to a problem I didn't have, but which creates other problems due to it being poorly implemented.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 3

No, only for a maximum of a couple of seconds, after which it just lets go. According to the handbook (it's described under "Uphill Start Assist"), it will also release in response to driver input based on application of the throttle alone, you don't need to let the clutch out. I've never experimented with it enough to verify this, largely because it's the one thing about the Yeti I really dislike. There are two reasons why:

1) When reversing back on to my downward-sloping drive, I can let the car run gently back in to position on neutral or with the clutch out. If I stop briefly to check my alignment or how far back I've gone, the car sits going nowhere for another couple of seconds after I release the brake, and then goes all at once. This is disconcerting at best, could be worse if I'm not concentrating fully.

2) If, like me, you do use the handbrake in normal driving, you can get caught out if you have to queue on a particularly steep hill (there's one near me which still sometimes catches me out like this). If you slow the car to a stop on the footbrake and then engage the handbrake, you can find yourself in a situation where the combined effect of the handbrake and HHC will hold the car stationary, but when the HHC releases, you discover that the handbrake isn't on quite enough to stop the car slowly rolling back towards the vehicle behind. This is embarrassing at best, could result in a low-speed collision if you're don't notice it happening.

Basically, I see it as a bad solution to a problem I didn't have, but which creates other problems due to it being poorly implemented.

It's the same on my VW transporter works van. I hate HHC being on a manual vehicle. It caught a few lads out at work initially as they was reporting issues with the vans regarding the situation you described. However on my yeti dsg, I find HHC is excellent

• 2 weeks later...

1) When reversing back on to my downward-sloping drive, I can let the car run gently back in to position on neutral or with the clutch out.  If I stop briefly to check my alignment or how far back I've gone, the car sits going nowhere for another couple of seconds after I release the brake, and then goes all at once.  This is disconcerting at best, could be worse if I'm not concentrating fully.

The HHC doesn't appear to be active if you "roll back" while in reverse (with clutch disengaged).

The HHC doesn't appear to be active if you "roll back" while in reverse (with clutch disengaged).

It's definitely active on mine.  Reversing downhill, apply brake/clutch out - HHC engages.  Leaving clutch out, release brake to "slide" a little further downhill using gravity alone and nothing happens for 2s, then all of a sudden you start moving and have to hit the brake again.  There's no delicacy of control available, it's either on or off.

I get the same problem... I have to reverse up an incline to park.

Sometimes I have to parallel park behind another car.

This involves stopping once in the space and rolling forward to even out the spacing between the vehicles.

The HHC comes on when you apply the brakes, then you sit there waiting for it to "let go" in one big bang. I want to be able to control the speed at which I roll forward, but it wont let me do that.

I can't see what the discussion is on about.

Hill hold works just fine, it just means you have to adapt your driving style to take advantage of this feature.

It's not an "issue" (whatever that is), a problem, sudden in action and all the other terrible attributes it seems to have. You don't have to use it - I go back to my post No5.

Technique is everything. It's only a car, a mechanical beast with electronics, you're in charge. If you don't like it so much, why buy one?

Just my 2p worth :dull:

• Like 1

I can't see what the discussion is on about.

Hill hold works just fine, it just means you have to adapt your driving style to take advantage of this feature.

It's not an "issue" (whatever that is), a problem, sudden in action and all the other terrible attributes it seems to have. You don't have to use it - I go back to my post No5.

Technique is everything. It's only a car, a mechanical beast with electronics, you're in charge. If you don't like it so much, why buy one?

Just my 2p worth :dull:

Especially if you live in Norfolk...

It's not ... sudden in action

Er, yes it is.  See my post #32, point 1.

You don't have to use it

Er, yes you do: you can't turn it off.  If you apply the brake on a slope, it engages.  Of course you can use your handbrake (and I do) but HHC is still there, interfering (see my post #32, point 2).  AFAIK no-one has yet suggested a way to disable it.

If you don't like it so much, why buy one?

I didn't buy HHC, I bought a Yeti which happened to come with HHC.  It's pretty much the only thing on the car that annoys me.  It's not that big a deal: it wouldn't significantly put me off buying another Yeti, and I can drive round it - I'd just prefer not to have to.

And I'm not going to tell anyone who does like it that they're wrong, because at the end of the day it's down to personal preference.

That's my 2p.  How much have we got in the kitty now? :beer:
  • Like 2