eml and epc

On the way to work 30 miles in i thoughout id give her a little up hill and held it a little in sport mode at 4k rpm. Then eml and epc came on flashing so i pulled over waited a little started it and shes fine no lights and pulled stronge to 6k rpm However.once i parked up i decided to give her a little to check engine tone. It doesnt rev pass 4k parked up. Is that normal?

The fact that you had those lights mean you need to first get all 4 spark plugs out and checked,

you can check first why you had those misfires, because it may be a coil,

but it is unlikely the misfires will show.

There will possibly not have been enough misfires happened in a cycle to log.

Do not boot it again until you know what is wrong incase it is a turbo pipe,

or a burnt out tip on n0.3 cylinder spark plug..

• Like 1

Cheers George its never done this. I had all plugs replaced in dec. I dont think the car misfired just lights came on i pulled over and.all went off. When i had the an issue in dec the lights stayed on for a bit. Oh why wont it rev past 4k whilst parked, in neutral or park? Is this just a dsg safety thing. Is this normal.

I think the lights came on because there was a misfire, under load.

That is what happens.

Power was cut, and the Turbo switched was inhibited.

Yes it is a safety thing.

This is for the engine before the CAVE, but it mostly all still applies.

http://volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf

see page 31& 32 on.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/291585-warning-on-sparkplugs-14-tsi-cave-vrs-check-the-spark-plugs

Thanks again george good to know the 4k rpm when.stationary is normal. Could it be possible that due to a number of short jorneys they car needs a good clear out and maybe swapping fuel. from nitro to momentum. It was strange as i held it in gear in sports mode at a certain rpm.

Cheers George its never done this. I had all plugs replaced in dec. I dont think the car misfired just lights came on i pulled over and.all went off. When i had the an issue in dec the lights stayed on for a bit. Oh why wont it rev past 4k whilst parked, in neutral or park? Is this just a dsg safety thing. Is this normal.

Even 4K is too much I think. The limiter on N while stationary is a little above 3K from what I recall.

VRSMICK,

It is not strange to get a misfire when you did,  

you need ro be running 98 RON or better,  and i would say Momentum and not V-Power Nitro and Shells Additives.

(Running 95 ron might well have your spark plug cooked sooner.)

The car can run on 95 ron, and it can burn out plugs if being given plenty of hard acceleration.

You are on full boost in Sport,.

or in D giving it plenty, and cooking cylinder 3.

* You need to check all 4 spark plugs, if they are OK,. then they are checked.

But December is 6 months ago, and no idea what the car has done since then.*

??
Has your car had a ECU Update,

for the Engine, not the DSG one?

Its always been run on either nitro or momentum. Currently.its on nitro for the last couple months. Yea its had the latest sw loaded back in dec. When it was serviced.last month i asked for.them to check and it still had the latest.

* You need to check all 4 spark plugs, if they are OK,. then they are checxked.

But December is 6 months ago, and no idea what the car has done since then.*

I wish it was that easy. I have 4 new NGK Iridium 7s which I want to install since over a month but I have twice failed to disconnect the plug from the coil and have just given up. Everything is so tight in there.

If the issue persists i ll run it into skoda under warrenty. Im hoping its just as simple as dodgy fuel and the fact that it had just on 30 miles on motorway at 60mph. I supose that doesnt.help?

I had a misfire recently and my idle went lumpy. I've had a spark plug changed under warranty so far but I don't feel the problems resolved fully yet so may be heading back.

I'd agree with getting skoda to check plugs and coils, that's a good idea.

4k or there abouts limit in neutral is normal. Probably not the best idea to rev it up in neutral anyway generally...despite getting to hear the exhaust burble.

I wish it was that easy. I have 4 new NGK Iridium 7s which I want to install since over a month but I have twice failed to disconnect the plug from the coil and have just given up. Everything is so tight in there.

You can buy a tool for the job I believe awesome sell it. Makes the job 100 times easier.

I had a misfire recently and my idle went lumpy. I've had a spark plug changed under warranty so far but I don't feel the problems resolved fully yet so may be heading back.

I'd agree with getting skoda to check plugs and coils, that's a good idea.

4k or there abouts limit in neutral is normal. Probably not the best idea to rev it up in neutral anyway generally...despite getting to hear the exhaust burble.

I'm guessing you mean lumpy idle after engine is warm?? As lumpy idle and misfire is common on cold start up well it is/was for cave engines, I believe it's to do with the engine dumping extra fuel to heat the cat up quicker for emissions purposes Yep car revs to 4k in both park and neutral.

Personally I am about to hit 27k on original plugs and used 95ron for 99% of the cars life.

Are you going to leave those plugs in untill the service schedule of 40,000 miles,

& have you looked at the plugs in the 27,000 miles?

You had misfiring at some point did you not.?

Misfiring and lumpy running is the Technically advanced engine not running correctly.

Not a Design or feature of the engine as VW intended and there is no need to accept that type of running of the engine.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/260650-bloody-misfire

You can buy a tool for the job I believe awesome sell it. Makes the job 100 times easier.

Yep, I have the tool from Awesome as well, doesn't go up one bit either. Or, at least it doesn't feel right to pull more, I'm exercising so much force already I'm sure once it starts moving the momentum will rip all the cables that go with it on its way up. Haven't had any misfires or lights except from the manifold issue so I have lived with that, maybe I give it another go this weekend...

George, I hadn't the plugs with me when I was at the dealership and it was a 60KM round-trip so I let it be.

Well a further update. I have rung my local skoda dealer who have instructed me to see how it goes and if the lights come on again to book it in. So I drove home from work and once the car had warmed up on the motorway i accelerated a few times with car dropping it down to 6th it seemed to be lacking somewhat on the accleration.

Then once i came off the motorway and further did a couple of brisk spurts again the car seemed to be lacking in the higher revs 4k ish as if its holding back. On one occasion i got a significant pull and then it was the same.....lacking again.

Could there be a boost leak or turbo issue. This time the epc and eml did not come on at all. So if i took it into a dealer theyd be stuck i think.

Mine had the flashing engine light under quite hard acceleration again today, on a fully warm engine. And it seems to be drinking oil faster than it has before  :dull:

Really tempted to see where I stand with just getting a diesel again as my mileage with work has increased a lot. I'd miss the DSG for laziness sake, but there's just something a bit dull about the Mk2 VRS. I barely ever drive it as if it's a 180bhp hatchback, as it doesn't inspire me to, only saving grace is the 49mpg it gave me on a long motorway tankful.

• 2 weeks later...