DSG Recall (sorry...service campaign)

Ours is in tomorrow, and per a comment on the Fabia section, I will check the/any paperwork I am asked to sign.

Poster was sure he read "recall" somewhere on the sheet, but was not offered a copy to keep!

marcus

Great news from Skoda UK. They have been on to the dealer and a cheque is on its way to cover the unnecessary DSG software reset I paid for prior to the recall.  Well done Skoda UK! 

And thanks to countryboy and vrskeith for the advice.

Now just the issue of the continuing shudder. I haven't had the opportunity to drive the car much since the recall. This is definitely one of those annoying issues that does not appear all the time.

I've not had the issue as I can't afford such a car, but I've fixed a good few of them.

The problem lies with the clutch packs, there is a Technical Product Information item on them that dealers can see by checking.

I think the correct title of it is "vibration from the K2 clutch" or something along those lines.

I'd get it back to your dealer and ask them about it as it's covered under warranty. If I remember I can get the exact TPI number to give you more ammo to go at them with but it really shouldnt be required.

DanSej6, if you could supply the TPI number when you get a chance that would be fantastic.

Edited by DadWagon
  • Like 1

Have we, the car drivers, been "missing a trick"
see

21-11-2013: Following worldwide recall of 2.6 million vehicles due to crystalline deposits in the synthetic oil in 7-speed DSGs affecting the Mechatronics units causing the fuses to blow, Volkswagen is recalling 30,000 UK market vans and LCVs fitted with 7-speed DSGs to change the oil in them from synthetic to mineral.

Article copied from the review section of the HJ site in respect of the VW Transporter van.

m

Now just the issue of the continuing shudder. I haven't had the opportunity to drive the car much since the recall. This is definitely one of those annoying issues that does not appear all the time.

I had the same shudder.  Moving off on any small incline, on shifting to 2nd it shuddered.  Skoda Bedford techie came out with me and knew it was the clutch pack as soon as it happened.  They took the car in for some diagnostics then sent the whole report off for checking and confirmed it needed a new clutch pack.  As the car was only at 10,000 miles and was just outside warrenty I ended up with manufacturers goodwill and had to pay the first £400.  After complaining to SUK that this wasn't good enough given the mileage I managed to get a letter confirming the next service woul dbe covered by SUK. Car drives a lot better now and it seems to almost slip the clutch in slightly at times.

Good luck with yours.

• Like 1

Thanks. The frustrating thing is it doesn't seem to always do it, and I'm damn sure it won't if there is an technician with me! Pretty much every time it has happened it has been on an incline / coming out of a junction / fully loaded car. I don't drive the car a huge amount but I know something isn't right.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Thanks. The frustrating thing is it doesn't seem to always do it, and I'm damn sure it won't if there is an technician with me! Pretty much every time it has happened it has been on an incline / coming out of a junction / fully loaded car. I don't drive the car a huge amount but I know something isn't right.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

I did the recall. Ca one month ago. I had the shudder before the update and oilchange. I also excperienced it after the update. Just like you describe. Talked to my local skoda dealer about it. They told me that the dsg had to learn the driving/gearshifting all over again since the dsg brain was resetted. Have covered some 4-500 km last week and it suddenly disappeared. (Knock on wood :))) ).

Also noticed that when driving in D2 when the shudder came before the engine now revs a little bit higher before shifting to D3. Without the annoying shudder

Alsomme

Edited by Alsomme

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had the software update and oil change. It does feel smoother now; the first gearchange from cold was usually slightly jerky, but today it was very smooth. Stopping is also slightly smoother I think.

It's holding revs higher both on acceleration and deceleration; maybe that's just the re-learning.

I had a rapid 1.2 as a courtesy car: I like the slightly shorter length compared with the octavia, but there was a booming sound at around 30 that was annoying and the engine was a bit noisy under load. It made me realise how much I now like the dsg box and the octavia.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that after this software "fix" if you release the brake the car creeps forward?

It seems when the brake is released the revs increase to 1k casing this, I'm pretty sure it never happened prior to the update.

Mine did that before the update. Released brakes and in D it crept forward. Also i R. Depends on how steep the road was.

Alsomme

I have a 2012 that always creeps, mimicking the behavior of a normal automatic. If the road is too steep, it just applies a dab of throttle. 

It's booked for a normal service next week. I specifically told them I wanted "all the updates", let's see what happens. I haven't had any issues with the gearbox at all but it's a bit jerky at times. 

• 6 months later...

Anyone still having the shudder? I've been so busy I've left it a while in the hope that it'll go away. Head ---> Sand. Still does it but not all the time. Anyone successfully had this problem resolved under warranty, whether original or extended?

Anyone still having the shudder? I've been so busy I've left it a while in the hope that it'll go away. Head ---> Sand. Still does it but not all the time. Anyone successfully had this problem resolved under warranty, whether original or extended?

Mine got worse and worse.

I took mine to the dealer and made them replace the K2 clutch pack as per the TPI. It's like new now, so smooth and no juddering at all!

• 1 month later...