L&K Sat Nav and Bluetooth options

Hi all

I bought my 55 plate L & K estate last week and I love it. It has Sat Nav built in but the system looks incredibly dated; no postcode search that I can see, pixelated screen and top - down map view only.

I'm just wondering if there is a simple switch to a more up to date system, with bluetooth too? If so, what am I looking for and is it an easy DIY job to fit?

Thanks in advance :-)

Sounds like an MFD2 older satnav unit.

For an OEM look, you can get a Columbus which integrates best but will set you back at least £350 and beware stolen ones on eBay (make sure you get a code, or at least one that says it needs a code).

OEM bluetooth then integrates well with it and is relatively cheap these days (£150 or so) although you will need a newer gateway (another £50 plus coding).

You could go for an Amundsen+ which includes bluetooth if you get the right unit and is cheaper, although I am not aware of anyone who has succesfully fitted to this age of car, so it might be a gamble.

Perhaps in a car of this age it might be easier and cheaper to go aftermarket with bluetooth built in. I have read good things about the ANS810 which may be worth a look for example.

Adam

Thanks, Adam; that's just the kind of response I was hoping for. It sounds like aftermarket could be the way to go; I'll get researching.

The car does have an added Bluetooth...contraption. It looks like an old car phone (complete with corded handset) but can apparently be used hands free via Bluetooth from a mobile. I'm just not sure if it's compatible with my phone (phone is Galaxy Note 3 and Bluetooth thing is Nokia 616).

This is the sat nav unit I currently have in the car

20140603_094304.jpg

Yes pretty sure thats an MFD2.  These were ok in their day and they still fetch a bit on eBay, so you might be able to recoup some costs..

After having the Columbus for a while I wouldn't want an aftermarket unit.

It fits very well with the dash etc. Integrates with the Maxidot (the screen in the dash clocks) and I have a bluetooth kit integrated that can be controlled on it or the Maxidot.

It will be a massive improvement over your current unit.

If you can stretch to a Columbus and associated costs then go for it.

Oh and you don't need to spend too much on bluetooth. I spend a total of £65 on the bits for the bluetooth.

Phil

Thanks Phil; I will certainly look into it.

Has anyone used one of these AUX adapters with the MFD2?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volkswagen-Seat-Skoda-Aux-IN-Input-Adapter-for-IPOD-MP3-MFD2-RNS-RNS2-/360737019519?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53fd9a167f

I noticed there is an AUX button on the unit but no obvious AUX port anywhere. Does this thing just plug into the back somewhere and come out...somewhere? Is removing the fascia/stereo an easy prise-off-with-a-screwdriver job or does it need special tools?

I've searched for MFD2 AUX on the forum and had no hits.

I suspect your car with have the jumbo armrest in between the front seats. If that is the case then you may find the aux in port, a 3.5mm jack socket, hiding in there.

Taking the stereo out is easy, open the ashtray and grab hold of the bottom edge of the stereo and climate control surround and pull sharply. It will come away and will expose 4 allen key heads, undo these and the unit will pull out easily.

Ian

After having the Columbus for a while I wouldn't want an aftermarket unit.

It fits very well with the dash etc. Integrates with the Maxidot (the screen in the dash clocks) and I have a bluetooth kit integrated that can be controlled on it or the Maxidot.

It will be a massive improvement over your current unit.

If you can stretch to a Columbus and associated costs then go for it.

Oh and you don't need to spend too much on bluetooth. I spend a total of £65 on the bits for the bluetooth.

Phil

I agree with this, but it is more a expensive option in the older car, especially given the gateway update issue (which is a must if going for OEM bluetooth).

I also agree BT can be done more cheaply, but only with the older modules that connect in rSap mode only (like yours Phil?) This limits the phones you can use, but is genrally ok if you have a Nokia or a Samsung, but no good for an iPhone for example. These older modules also don't allow streaming but they do integrate with the maxidot, the latter being quite a bonus.

Adam

I checked in the arm rest and there is no AUX port :(

The main thing I want Bluetooth for is to stream audiobooks from my phone. Would that be possible if I got a Columbus or other unit?

In the meantime I might look into fitting an AUX port if it's an easy job; at least that way I can play content from my phone. Would it be simple to DIY fit if I got one of those cables or similar?

I agree with this, but it is more a expensive option in the older car, especially given the gateway update issue (which is a must if going for OEM bluetooth).

I also agree BT can be done more cheaply, but only with the older modules that connect in rSap mode only (like yours Phil?) This limits the phones you can use, but is genrally ok if you have a Nokia or a Samsung, but no good for an iPhone for example. These older modules also don't allow streaming but they do integrate with the maxidot, the latter being quite a bonus.

Adam

True. I didn't have to update my canbus.

And yes mine is rSAP only. I have an rooted Xperia Z so no problem for me but I could see it being a problem for others.

I wasn't fussed about bluetooth streaming either as I can have all my music (and then some) on an SD card.

Guess it's just a matter of getting what works best for you.

Phil

I checked in the arm rest and there is no AUX port :(

The main thing I want Bluetooth for is to stream audiobooks from my phone. Would that be possible if I got a Columbus or other unit?

In the meantime I might look into fitting an AUX port if it's an easy job; at least that way I can play content from my phone. Would it be simple to DIY fit if I got one of those cables or similar?

It shouldn't be too much fuss to fit an aux line if you have aux ability on the existing stereo - the three wires from the aux line should plug into the reelvant part of the quadlock behind the stereo (see http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/78756-aux-input-on-mfd2-wiring/).  You just need to source an aux cable and wiring then (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281043861022), and run it to the arm rest or wherever you want it.

A Columbus will stream mp3 files, so if your audio books are mp3, Robert is a close male relative of your mum.

Adam

Thanks for that.

I don't know if they are MP3 files or not (in the Audbile app on my Android phone if that makes it any clearer?). In my last car (Nissan Connect system) all I had to do was press the AUX button on the unit until it went to the currently connected Bluetooth device, then it would just act like a Bluetooth speaker for whatever was playing on my phone. So I think it worked to play the audio from YouTube videos, for example, if that's what would be coming out of my phone speakers.

Yes aux will work fine regardless as its just a simple audio feed, but when referring to mp3s I was talking about streaming to the Columbus which you specifically mentioned in post 10.  Sorry that wasn't clear.

Adam

That is how it feels like it is working with the streaming but in stereo. However, I think the limitation here is that the Columbus only plays mp3s. I might be wrong there though.

I have the same sat nav unit , I have that Aux in fitted and I bought the xcar link for £130 , bluetooth music streaming and handsfree. Takes like 30 mins to install both.

• 2 weeks later...