Yeti roof bars / kayak carrier

servicepoint

Can anyone offer some advice, I have purchased the Skoda roof bars for my YetI and want to carry my soon to arrive kayak but unsure of which carrier to buy. The kayak is 13ft long and I will only be carrying the one so preferably on its hull not side.

Thule type I spotted is around £180, ouch. Would like one that was also locking. Any other options / recomendations.

Thanks

Can anyone offer some advice, I have purchased the Skoda roof bars for my YetI and want to carry my soon to arrive kayak but unsure of which carrier to buy. The kayak is 13ft long and I will only be carrying the one so preferably on its hull not side.

Thule type I spotted is around £180, ouch. Would like one that was also locking. Any other options / recomendations.

Thanks

I'm a bit dim. Cannot you simply strap it to the roofbars if it is not on its side/edge?

Colin

Llanigraham, spot on, that's what the Kayak shop told me, unfortunately they couldn't advise on a cradle type as they only supply the type for transporting on its side. The Thule cradle looks very good and it's lockable but £180+. I can't seem to find any other makes that are similar and lockable.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/kayak-and-canoe-carriers/thule-k-guard-840-_-840000

Fine, but "servicepoint" says he doesn't want to carry his vertically! 

We certainly found that when we carried my son's kayak on just the bars the hull always ended up with dents in the bottom where it was pulled tight across the bars. Luckily he joined the local Club and kept his there and used their transport.

I know a few people made there own cradles with some thick plywood.

There are loads of options (cheaper too) for carrying them vertically, perhaps this is the more 'economical' way for me to go, I just thought that as I was only going to be carrying one I would rather it sat flat on its hull.

Service point, which you can lay it flat and use ratchet straps...... Like I have done in the past on numerous occasions , unless I'm going to be told that I'm wrong again........

What type of kayak?

I had a plastic sit-on and just strapped it face-down to the bars. It wii of take far more force than a tie-down strap to distort the shape. Some advise also typing the end (s) to your tow hooks.

Service point, which you can lay it flat and use ratchet straps...... Like I have done in the past on numerous occasions , unless I'm going to be told that I'm wrong again........

No one has said you are wrong, only that I found doing it that way resulted in a dent in the hull of my son's kayak that often took a long time to come out, and which I, and others, thought might lead to permanent damage to the hull.

EDIT.

This was my son's kayak:

http://www.nswatersports.co.uk/kayaks-c10/whitewater-kayaks-c11/pyranha-kayaks-zone-river-play-kayak-club-spec-p1075/s5554?gclid=CjkKEQjw_N-cBRD2k73X3OjJ8eMBEiQAbdPic04INVNbAZiASO2_XAplq0cwguK_9LD47SmJXDAXMizw_wcB

Wakev, thanks , first one may be an option, I'll perhaps have to sacrifice being able to lock the kayak... or pay £180.

How about  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canoe-and-Kayak-SPT-Lockable-Tie-Down-Straps-/271277278683?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Canoeing_Kayaking_ET&var=&hash=item3f2962c5db brings the cost up but not as expensive as £180.