Abeo Dash Cam

I have ordered the normal 12V socket power supply (i.e. a long USB to USB mini cable + 12V cigar adaptor), but I will at some point want to hardwire it in for a neater finish - that, and the fact that sometimes I will forget to unplug the 12V cigar adaptor.

So, once I am happy that the camera is working and the screen mount isn't going to fall off, then I will hardwire it all up.  I don't really want to fiddle around with the headlining tbh, but it was a suggestion from another forum to place it in the headlining near to the overhead light console.

Re: 2 and 3 above, they are different boxes.  #2 would need to be sited within 20cm of the mobius as that is the length of the 5V output, whereas in #3 it is much longer.

Edited by JakeBlade

The final parcel has just arrived.  All being well, I will get it all installed tonight, plugged into the 12V cigar lighter.

First impression is that a cannibalised mobius helmet mount will be the most discrete/elegant solution, which comes with a sticker to attach to the windscreen.  The standard mobius screen sticker mount is way too big to be able to get the mobius behind the rear view mirror.

Will report back later.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

I'm looking at the headmount myself as i also thought it would be the least conspicuous. Should be a case of ordering everything when i get paid in a few weeks. I'm not as patient so i'll pay a pound or two more and order from UK sellers.  :)

I think i'll be going for fuse 41 which in my car looks to be connected up to the supply but not used as it's the rear wiper fuse. Also means that if anything happens it is still on it's own position rather than piggy backing off something else being used in the car etc....

Cheers

Dave

I'm looking at the headmount myself as i also thought it would be the least conspicuous. Should be a case of ordering everything when i get paid in a few weeks. I'm not as patient so i'll pay a pound or two more and order from UK sellers. :)

I think i'll be going for fuse 41 which in my car looks to be connected up to the supply but not used as it's the rear wiper fuse. Also means that if anything happens it is still on it's own position rather than piggy backing off something else being used in the car etc....

Cheers

Dave

Helmet mount is discrete, but in order to get it closer to the windscreen (and leave plenty of room behind for the USB) I want to use it in this configuration:

176352ba019e50952c7aedd20586c0d8.jpg

But in my quick test outside it might be showing too much dash and not enough of the road (or my garage door in the dark in this case, given the time of day). I'm restricted by the toothed wheel that you can see in the pic, and can't angle the camera up any higher in this configuration. I might need to modify the mount a little bit! 2mm off the top of the toothed wheel would be perfect!

The mount can also be used in this configuration:

4be16e1e337f5e8fd139f09158078666.jpg

... but that is too far back from the windscreen for my liking, and no space to fit the USB behind (not even an angled one) - unless you bring the mobius below the rear view mirror.

More testing in daylight tomorrow, time permitting. Hopefully I am worrying about nothing and there is enough of the road that will be visible.

Edited by JakeBlade

I think the second config would be ok though wouldn't it?.... And probably what i would be going for myself. As you say you'll have to try it but i can't see it being an issue..... Weren't you originally looking at the ones that are fitted to the rear view mirror? They would have been further away from the windscreen. ;)

When you say you can't plug the power lead in.... Where abouts are you positioning the camera? Is it exactly in the middle or could you not move it slightly over towards the passenger side where the mirror is angled away from the windscreen?

Any chance of some pictures of it in various positions behind the mirror so we can see what space is like and then maybe be able to suggest moving this way or that way a little etc...

Cheers

Dave.

0803 is just being updated with a heat sink. So just make sure you get the new stock.

I have an 0803 and have had no overheating problems at all.  Had the camera about 2 months I think.  Even on 4+ hour journeys in the sun it was fine.  Had 4 or 5 occasions when it locks up on starting but hold down the power button for 10 secs resets it.  I updated the firmware after a couple of problems with it stopping recording and all has been fine since - I need to check for any further updates actually.

I went for the GPS option, which is handy and was only £10 extra.

I think the second config would be ok though wouldn't it?.... And probably what i would be going for myself. As you say you'll have to try it but i can't see it being an issue..... Weren't you originally looking at the ones that are fitted to the rear view mirror? They would have been further away from the windscreen. ;)

When you say you can't plug the power lead in.... Where abouts are you positioning the camera? Is it exactly in the middle or could you not move it slightly over towards the passenger side where the mirror is angled away from the windscreen?

Any chance of some pictures of it in various positions behind the mirror so we can see what space is like and then maybe be able to suggest moving this way or that way a little etc...

Cheers

Dave.

I'm trying to position the mobius behind the rear view mirror, on the passenger side, where there is more room as you say. I want the 3M sticker to mount on the shaded third sun visor area, and the camera lens to point just below it whilst being hidden from normal view behind the mirror.

The pictures are deceiving: you'd be surprised how steeply raked the windscreen actually is, and how far back the camera is under the 2nd mounting option.

I will post pics tomorrow so you can see, as I timed out this evening as I spent more time than I thought configuring and playing about with the mobius.

I think I have a solution to the 1st mounting option, which is to replace the 1/4" screw toothed thumb wheel with one of these D-ring screws:

34b07a83e8927e1b195428722f95129e.jpg

The shaft is the same length, but I gain a 4mm lower profile from the screw head vs thumb wheel (which is 8mm). This will give me the ability to angle the camera up so that I get less bonnet and dash, and more road.

Ordered a pair of D-ring screws from a UK seller for £2.50, so should turn up this week.

And yes, you're right - I was originally looking at over-mirror cams, which was mostly born out of wanting a discrete and unobtrusive fit. At the time I didn't really think about how far away the lens would be from the screen...

Edited by JakeBlade

How about the car sticker mount that Bang Good sell. That one has a ball joint so may be a better fit?

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-Tape-Mount-Holder-For-Mobius-Action-Sports-Camera-p-91750.html

Cheers

Dave.

I have that one too - it may not look it, but it's M A S S I V E.

Will post a pic of it later so that you can see the diff.

• Like 1

I have an 0803 and have had no overheating problems at all. Had the camera about 2 months I think. Even on 4+ hour journeys in the sun it was fine. Had 4 or 5 occasions when it locks up on starting but hold down the power button for 10 secs resets it. I updated the firmware after a couple of problems with it stopping recording and all has been fine since - I need to check for any further updates actually.

I went for the GPS option, which is handy and was only £10 extra.

It was the fault you describe and the beeping on start-up that put me off the 0803 in the end, otherwise if would gave been perfect for me.

I have that one too - it may not look it, but it's M A S S I V E.

Will post a pic of it later so that you can see the diff.

Thanks. I didn't think the measurements seemed too big in the images showing the size.

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks. I didn't think the measurements seemed too big in the images showing the size.

Cheers

Dave.

You'd be surprised.  The helmet mount also has quick release slide in/out.  I'm just ordering another one for another car: http://www.banggood.com/Bicycle-Helmet-Mount-Holder-Bracket-For-Mobius-ActionCam-Sports-Camera-p-934999.html

As promised, here is the difference between my preferred mount (reverse helmet, ahem), and the standard sticker mount:

9316137275faf6b405e1738707ea4aa3.jpg

Next we have the normal h-mount, and the standard sticker mount:

ffa0a26af31664d6e58479bb21b6f51b.jpg

And finally, the reverse h-mount and the standard mount, side-by-side, with standard mount in the background:

eecbf6f66a015ebc7a0bae961ba4d93c.jpg

As you can see, the h-mount is a much lower profile design than the std ball-joint sticker mount. And then whichever way you choose to orientate the h-mount probably comes down to personal preference.

Edited by JakeBlade

I think i'd still be happy with either of the second two. Let us know how you go with the installation. I've got all the bits i'm gonna use watched on fleabay just waiting for payday.

Cheers

Dave.

I went for a piggyback fuse on cigar lighter fuse along with a waeco power supply unit cuts out if battery drops to 11.5v. All fitted by fuse panel ok

attachicon.gif20140225_125701.jpg

How have you gone from the female car cigarette lighter output of the Waeco unit to the Mobius?

**edit**  Just realised it will have been a car usb adapter.... But doesn't matter anyway as the Waeco would be pointless when using a switched supply anyway.

Cheers

Dave.

I think i'd still be happy with either of the second two. Let us know how you go with the installation. I've got all the bits i'm gonna use watched on fleabay just waiting for payday.

Cheers

Dave.

Well, the hardwire is in, and working like a dream. I went with the double USB unit in the end, where 1 socket feeds the mobius, and the other socket is routed through into the driver cubby, probably never to be used, but I have the option to, should there be a blue moon. There is actually a lot of space in the fuse box, and the 12V/5V box is only small. I've piggy-backed off a 5A lighting fuse on the bottom row. Haven't worked out what lights that fuse was for yet... maybe the flashing red LEDs in the grille won't work tomorrow...

The long USB lead is routed up from the driver's fuse box, up the A pillar, across the headliner and exits at the rear view mirror. Obviously you work in reverse from the mirror end down, and then the excess USB cable just gets folded up in the fuse box. Fortunately I have the auto-dimming mirror, which helps to obscure the wire from the headliner to the camera.

I'm waiting on 1 part to turn up, which is the low profile D-ring QR tripod screw. Once that arrives, then I can position the screen mount.

Trust me, you will want to reverse the h-mount. I tried the other way and it would be difficult to fit the USB in the back - even with the right-angle adaptor I have. If you want the sticker mount obscured by the 3rd sun visor AND the mobius to be hidden behind the rear view mirror, there's very little space unless you reverse the h-mount.

Tomorrow I will post a full shopping list of items that you will need to buy for the same install as mine, and the total comes to just under £80, incl some crimping tools for the hardwiring, and the Kingston 32Gb microSD card.

It was sunset when I started, and dark when I finished, so these are the only pics I have of possible mounting locations at the moment. Picture quality isn't great, but hopefully you get the gist.

efecf225b5ee53630517752a4c7c1042.jpg

3dc4013460c4a97ac667d0b2c45bca1a.jpg

At the weekend I'll do a proper write up with all the related DIY guides that I used, incl the set-up guides for the mobius.

Bon nuit.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

You have routed the same way i have decided on. I also have the auto dimming mirror so i too saw that it helps hide the cable into the roof lining. Although I was planning on having the camera positioned slightly lower down the windscreen so it is in front of the mirror rather than just above it. The lead I'm getting is also an up angle rather than left or right angle so it will then come upwards rather than out sideways.

Three weeks and I'll be doing mine. Might have to pay slightly more for the cam though as bang good no longer show UK warehouse as an option for anything mobius related so either it's closed down or they have sold out of everything. I always prefer to buy from UK suppliers so it might be an extra fiver or so for me.

Cheers

Dave.

There is an odd feature on the bang good website, which doesn't show UK warehouse options for certain Internet ISPs. So I can't see any of the UK options at work, but on my mobile I can. And right now I can see that they have stock of the mobius with B lens in the UK warehouse: http://m.banggood.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-HD-Mini-Sports-Camera-Wide-Angle-Edition-p-917817.html

It's worth getting the camera from UK, not least because there's no additional import tax or duty to pay, and so that there isn't z problem getting a Li-ion battery into the country.

Otherwise you can get the other bits and pieces from the Far East, bring careful to keep your shipments under £15 so as not to attract import tax/duty.

I have the full shopping list and links at work, will post them here tomorrow.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1